• In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

New to booktalk.org

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Spiritualism7

New to booktalk.org

Unread post

Hi, I am 21 year old male, who lives in Georgia. I moved to this state 2 years ago from New York. It's personal why I moved here, and I really did not have any choice. I have not read a book for 2 years, since I am too depressed. I have no friends in this state. I only have one, who lives in New York. I have social anxiety. What should I do to make myself want to read again? I really want to , but I don't feel like doing it. I have to be happy to do it.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: New to booktalk.org

Unread post

Spiritualism7I'm not sure how to respond to that introductory post. I feel for you. Having friendships is incredibly important and valuable, and something tells me that more people in your life consider you a friend than you realize.Joining in the discussions here on BookTalk might be a good start. If you have social anxiety you can avoid much of what causes that anxiety by forming some friendships right here. We're good people and we would love to get to know you. But don't ever deny yourself the benefits of genuine real-life relationships. I have a ton of suggestions on how to deal with social anxiety, but my willingness to discuss it will be based on how you respond or even IF you respond. Many people introduce themselves and then vanish.I guess it depends on the degree to which you suffer from social anxiety. How do you define it? How does it impact your daily life? What have you done to overcome it? ...or have you done nothing?You say you're depressed. Millions of people have had their depression alleviated with drugs. And I'm referring to anti-depressants. Have you considered taking them? Half the people I know are on them and I know it makes a huge difference.Tell us more about yourself. What do you do for a living? What do you do for fun? ...or what DID you do for fun when you weren't depressed. I've suffered with depression at different times in my life, so maybe I can offer some help. Maybe not.Oh, and welcome to BookTalk. Again, we're good people here and you could easily make some quality friendships if you invest the time and energy. You don't have to read a single book to enjoy our community. Chris
Graydon Wilson

Unread post

If you're 21 and haven't read a book in two years, my guess would be that most of what you'd read were books assigned in high school. That's a start. We could talk about those. Teachers are often pretty good at introducing their students to good literature. Yours' must have pretty good, too, since they generated a spark of interest that's persisted well past their time with you.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Some members introduce themselves and then vanish. We'll see if he plans to stick around.

Return to “Everything Else”