Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 3:24 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
NEW Non-Fiction Book Selection Process - Please Participate! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

Post Re: NEW Non-Fiction Book Selection Process - Please Participate!
I would like for it to be at least a century old.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:32 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Upwardly Mobile

lindad_amato wrote:
Being a bit of a classicist, I would be interested in discussing ancient Greek politics or society.
I also like the hysteria (modern or historical) idea.

:P That would be wonderful. I totally vote for this one!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile Email
Upwardly Mobile

Alexander the Great although would also be great.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Are we going with history or hysteria?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

GaryG48 wrote:
Some of the topics that seem to be getting the most play here:

Evolution/Creationism (beyond Dawkins)
Bible (Jewish, Christian or both)
Theology, Introduction

Two also-rans
Bible as literature, people have expressed a desire for discussion but not much has developed.

Post modern art/literature--several posts but a limited number of people

GaryG48 is right that these fields of discussion get the most play, to which I would add they open up the most interesting debate and learning. DWill also commented on similar lines in discussing the evolution of God. There has been more discussion on the Bible as literature than Gary credits.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I've heard some people complain that we read and discuss too many books dealing with religion and God, but it cannot be denied that our most active discussions have been on those topics.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile Email WWW
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Greek myths, anyone?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:25 am
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

You might be on to something there, Eden. American Indian myths?

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 am

Silver Contributor

Ooh, those would be interesting, too!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:14 am
Upwardly Mobile

Greek or any other kind of myths would be perfect for me. I love reading about those olden times, that could have or could have not put this world around. We learned a great deal about those myths it would be interesting to read it and discuss it with each other and not get graded on it! I love it!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

To be honest I don't feel like we're any closer to finding a better way to pick our books. I've heard people suggest about 6 different topics and each new post seems to suggest a brand new topic. One person makes a suggestion and another person says, "Oh, that sounds good. Also, how about...." and then the next person says something similar. I'm confused! Sorry. Not sure where to go from here.

Does anyone want to add any comments to my statement of confusion? Am I unnecessarily confused? Is there actually a common thread emerging here that I'm not recognizing? Maybe "old" books would be the common thread.

My dream is to find a way to pick books that get at least a dozen people participating each time. This should be easy based on the number of members we have but it just rarely happens. There has to be a way to make this happen. I'm listening if anyone has comments.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile Email WWW

Silver Contributor

I also see religious myths outside of the Judeo-Christian religions as a theme, i.e. Greek myths and Native American stories/myths. Maybe a book on why society as a whole needs myths/religion to understand the world around them, but from a perspective that doesn't only cover Judeo-Christian/Muslim theologies? I'd be interested in reading about ancient Sumeria or the like, as they had some pretty nifty ideas about Gods and their relationship with them and also how powerful language can be, as seen in the story of Enki, who creates parts of civilization just by speaking, similar to how God creates by speaking in the Christian bible. If we could find a book that looked at these things from a collective unconscious/linguistic point of view I think we'd open up some new discussions about religion that aren't the same old "I believe this vs. you believe that" type of theme.

Is anyone else seeing this trend, or agree that it could be a good way to go?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

As for the topics in discussion:

I'm game for any Pre-Roman history.
I'm game for Greek mythology.
I'm not feeling books concerned specifically with religion - but they do generate discussion; a discussion that everyone loves to contribute to but take nothing away from.
I'm game for hysteria.
I'm not feeling Indian mythology right now although I do have a large book about Cherokee myths I haven't read. I also have a large book on Norse mythology.

To help narrow things down a bit and to really lock myself down I'm saying I'd like to discuss any Pre-Roman history... but I'm open to other suggestions lol.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:09 pm
Profile Email YIM

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Pre-Roman? What culture? Egyptian?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:54 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Anything Pre-Roman. I'm working on a time-line.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next