• In total there are 10 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Needed Someone to Talk Books With

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Needed Someone to Talk Books With

Unread post

So I'm sitting at work telling my coworkers how Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia is a representation of Jesus. Of course I become very animated and really get into it... only to realize I'm boring them. They are smiling and being polite but I can tell it's not what they want to discuss. I didn't want to stop talking about it and I had so many other books and conversations that I could tie into it.

I decided that I needed to find someone that would enjoy these kinds of conversations and because I am antisocial in public and don't have many friends I took to the internet for this task. I typed into Google book discussions and ended up here. After reading a few discussions I decided y'all were exactly the people I was looking for.

With that said I think I will go off the suggested info and tell ya about myself. (I try and type in proper English but I have a tendency to let my southern accent come into my text)

•Are you male or female? Female- and 26 years old if you must know ;p

•Where are you from? Texas :clap2:

•What are your hobbies or special interests? I read and write (I am published but I know not to advertise here) while the rest of the time is taken by video games. I find video games to be like a book in the sense that you escape to another world and get to be someone else for awhile but you are allowed to decide how it ends.

•What sort of books do you enjoy reading? Fiction for the most part. I love anything with magic or things that could never be in our world. My favorite series is The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik which is about dragons in the Napoleon Wars era. I do read books based on history though as well. Currently I am reading Texas by James Michener. Other than being a beast of a book by coming in at 1096 pages it is based on historical events while throwing in a bit of color with fictional stories. It is quickly becoming my favorite book.

How did you find BookTalk.org? I believe that was my whole first paragraph lol

I hope I didn't bore you with this long intro I have a tendency to also over explain things. I'm also hoping that I can get into these conversations and contribute in a positive manner.
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Needed Someone to Talk Books With

Unread post

How can I possibly help? I am finishing an apologetics books for your generation. It may be of interest.

First question is "Why discuss the chronicles of Narnia?"
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

An apologetics book? I am intrigued. Do tell.

Chronicles of Narnia was one of my favorite series growing up and I never knew the god aspect to it until I was in an English AP class during high school. Mind you I am atheist but something about the Christ like figure interested me (I know there is a word for when a character is based off of Christ but I can't for the life of me remember it)

Today I was given The Book Thief by a coworker and we started talking books. I was telling her how I'm not like most avid readers in that I don't like rereading books; once I know the ending to a book I lose interest. I had been reading Gone with the Wind but then made the fatal mistake of watching the movie before I was done reading the book (which meant I now had time for The Book Thief). I mentioned that only twice have I reread a series (The previously mentioned Temeraire series being one and that was because I waited so long for the 8th book I needed a refresher) The Chronicles of Narnia being the second. The reason for rereading Narnia was because I had learned what Lewis had hidden in the story that I had missed as a child. I was astounded that there was more to that series than meets the eye and I had to reread it in order to believe it. I was giving specifics on how Lewis showed Christ in Aslan when the coworkers started to look bored.
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Well two things come to mind. 1) Why are you an atheist discussing the concepts of a God that you don't believe in?
2) Likely, your lack of persuasion or passion turns off your co-workers to possibly have any interest.

Not certain, because I wasn't there. But usually people always can talk about a topic of interest.

I think you are looking for the word - Type. Aslan was portrayed by C.S. Lewis as a figure of Christ. The book and movie are full of many types found in the Bible. Hope this helps.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

No no please don't mistake their lack of interest for me not portraying the info in a fun manner. They simply are not interested in that aspect of the books. I wasn't saying the god info in a negative way I actually find it fascinating and love to talk about how Lewis did it. I was describing how he even made Aslan die for one of the other characters and came back to life. There was no lack of persuasion. I was just saying I needed to talk to someone about books that loved to dig into them as much as I do. The part of me being an atheist was more of a side note lol

As for the word Google says it is simply Christ Figure or Christ-image. I could have sworn there was a more technical term but I seem to have been mistaken.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Hi and welcome to the group. Enjoy reading 'The Book Thief' it was a great story, after you finish watch the movie which I've watched several times since reading it. I'm a little bit all over the place in book choices. I was sort of obsessed with 'The Song of Fire and Ice: Game of Thrones series,but I am in a holding pattern waiting for the next book now. I highly recommend that. I haven't read Narnia yet, I want a complete set for my kindle. I had an incomplete set in traditional book form but decided to wait until I could have the all in one easy to carry spot.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hello! Good idea waiting for Narnia though I will say that they don't all involve the same story. Lewis actually wrote them out of order. The first one tells the story of the beginning of Narnia. Then it skips over to the four main kids in book 2. Book three can sit on its own since it doesn't really involve anything the others do. Four kinda ties into the later books. 5 only involves two of the main kids and is by itself otherwise. 6 I can't hardly remember but I don't think it is much in the main story. And its not till the end of 7 that they tie up at all. They are very good though.

As for Game of Thrones I have all five and have read them all. I too am in a limbo waiting for the next one. I have a love hate relationship with them as well cause I adore most characters points of view but then there are whole sections of the books that bored me to near death. I honestly don't know how I got through Sansa's chapters lol
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Thanks for giving me some insight into how the Narnia books work together. I have to agree about the Sansa portions of the GOT books. I think they did better with her character in the shows, although there is an entitled wimpiness to her there through most of the seasons too.

I have actually bought The Hunger Games and Divergent books to work on as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are well written. If not I guess it will be my fault for choosing something geared to young adults. Sometimes I think some of these newer popular books are written more for mass production rather than reader enjoyment. My favorite books tend to pull me into their worlds. So I get easily disappointed when books read like a substandard webpage.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I took awhile to read the Hunger Games but when I did I read them quickly and enjoyed all three... That is until the last chapter, well the epilogue. I hate the ending. I personally feel like Collins just gave up and threw an ending together. A lot of people like it though.

I haven't read the divergent series yet. A good friend of mine loves them. Whenever something is massively popular I have a hard time getting around to it. (It wasn't until the 4th Harry Potter book was out that I actually tried reading it lol) I reckon we will both cross our fingers for this one lol
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to the community!

I enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia tremendously.

Return to “Everything Else”