• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

My intro

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
TreeEng

My intro

Unread post

Hi, I'm a 25 year old graduate student in chemical engineering, although I actually study biological processes using engineering principles. I moved to California a year ago from the east coast and love it so far. The hiking is amazing, with gorgeous views of the ocean when you finally reach the top of a trail! The farmers' markets can't be beat for terrific fruit and vegetables, which is great for me since I love to cook. And let's not forget the snowboard resorts! Wow, the powder! Riding on the east coast was more like ice-skating, but powder can be found at resorts like Mammoth and Heavenly for days after a storm if you look hard enough. Hope next season is as good as last! I'm so happy I finally found this forum! I've read some of the books on your book list, and found many more that I'd like to read. Looking forward to discussing them...-Theresa
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: My intro

Unread post

Hi Theresa We're glad to have you joining us. California always sounds so beautiful. Maybe that's why so many people eventually move there. Florida seems to also be a final destination for many people, which is why our roads are so busy and stressful.So which books of ours have you read? You are always welcome to make posts in the older book forums, even if those books are no longer in the current sections. Members will see your posts and have the opportunity to respond.
TreeEng

Books

Unread post

Hi Chris, I've read The Time Traveller's Wife, most of the books by Richard Dawkins (although I have yet to read Climbing Mount Improbable and Unweaving the Rainbow..I'm working my way through ), and I'm in the middle of Guns, Germs and Steel now. I can't wait til Dawkin's new book comes out, The God Delusion. The roads here can be crazy too, but luckily I don't have to commute! Theresa
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Books

Unread post

I didn't even know about that new book! Thanks for the heads up. I'll run a search and see when it is due for publication.
TreeEng

Unread post

Hi Chris, It's coming out in October. Here's the description from the publisher: Now Dawkins turns his considerable intellect on religion, denouncing its faulty logic and the suffering it causes.He critiques God in all his forms, from the sex-obsessed tyrant of the Old Testament to the more benign (but still illogical) Celestial Watchmaker favored by some Enlightenment thinkers. He eviscerates the major arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a supreme being. He shows how religion fuels war, foments bigotry, and abuses children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence. In so doing, he makes a compelling case that belief in God is not just irrational, but potentially deadly.Dawkins has fashioned an impassioned, rigorous rebuttal to religion, to be embraced by anyone who sputters at the inconsistencies and cruelties that riddle the Bible, bristles at the inanity of "intelligent design," or agonizes over fundamentalism in the Middle East-or Middle America. Theresa
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

TheresaDid you see that I made a link to the Salon.com interview at the top of our forums page? I have so much respct and admiration for Dawkins that I can't wait to get a copy of this book. Thanks for the information.
TreeEng

Unread post

Hi Chris, I saw it right after I posted! hehe..oops. Great interview, he echoes so many of my own opinions and it is great to see someone unafraid of criticizing religion. I too have a lot of respect for him. You say you met him? How did that happen? Theresa
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Arghh! I made a lengthy reply, but then my browser froze up. That is so annoying.I met Dawkins at an Atheist Alliance International convention too. I'll tell you more details tomorrow.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Fun article. Thanks. We've now read at least one book from each of the three authors.

Return to “Everything Else”