• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

My favorite type of movie is...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kate Fremont

Re: My favorite type of movie is...

Unread post

Depending on my mood, I go with drama or comedy. Car chases bore me. Excessive or gratuitous violence and gore distress me."Saving Private Ryan" was distressing, but the violence and gore was integral to the powerful statement the movie was making, not gratuitous.The most distressing movie I've ever seen was "Sophie's Choice", and not because of the violence, but because of the choice Sophie had to make. I'll never watch it again, but highly recommend it. Just don't watch it right before bedtime; I couldn't sleep for hours.If a book is distressing, that's easier to tolerate; I can put it down, and pick it up as needed, taking it in small chunks if need be, should the book be worth finishing.
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

comedy,romance,drama
robertmartin0
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Adventure/Comedy
My all time fav. is Happy Feet.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

For serious watching, I tend to like psychological and/or courtroom drama. I also like films with oddball characters. For pure indulgent entertainment, I like what I call “comeuppance” movies, where the bad guy we come to hate eventually gets his/hers in the end. I do not care for “modern” comedies, bang-bang-shoot-‘em-ups (violence for violence’s sake), space opera, gory horror, or silly, overdone concepts (body-switch films, for example). I do like the occasional well-done SF or Fantasy film, but am not a fan of serial SF movies. All of these preferences can be altered however, by one thing: well drawn and acted characters. For me, far more important than plot, special effects, movie “stars”, or great cinematography, is the believability of interesting characters.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Kate Fremont wrote:"Saving Private Ryan" was distressing, but the violence and gore was integral to the powerful statement the movie was making, not gratuitous.The most distressing movie I've ever seen was "Sophie's Choice", and not because of the violence, but because of the choice Sophie had to make. I'll never watch it again, but highly recommend it.
I feel exactly the same way. These were two of the best movies ever made, however, I have no desire to see either again. When I read Sophie's Choice and came to the actual "choice" scene, I threw the book against the wall and refused to read on for about a week. As for Saving Private Ryan, that was the most realistic and devastating bit of film I have ever seen, by far the best war movie ever produced. Still, I won't watch it again.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
deathscythe210
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

if i had to make a choice..i'd have to say my favorite kind of movies are historical ones. such as Mel Gibson's "The Patriot". But i do enjoy a good chicky comedy like "Devil Wears Prada" or "27 Dresses" as well
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

I'm a movie pragmatist... I'll watch pretty much anything, to the obvious disgust of my friends and girlfriend. Some of my favorite movies include: Gladiator, Requiem for a Dream, Irreversible, The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, X-Men 3, Shrek, Finding Nemo, Evangelion Rebirth series, Lord of the Rings, Death at a Funeral (the british version, not the american), Love Actually, The Professional, Fight Club, Inception, Amelie, Trainspotting, Toy Story 3, Cinderella Man, The Iron Giant (Mostly for the really great alien robot concept), Life is Beautiful, Boondock Saints, Lucky Number Slevin...
the list just goes on and on...

Wishlist: A high production budget Michael Gagne animated interpretation of His Dark Materials. A REAL Deadpool movie. A (good) Alexander The Great themed movie.

You'll notice there aren't that many indepent films on there, although I constatly check out new stuff, most of it is in spanish.
I hate book adaptations gone bad (a.k.a: Hitchhicker's Guide to The Galaxy, Golden Compass, etc..) and for a couple of years now I just can't enjoy the blander kind of disney film (think Real Steel), which just seem too cut and paste. For the same reason I can't get into many romantic comedies. Love well made fantasy (LOTR, Underworld) but will laugh my ass off or cringe horribly otherwise (Red Riding Hood, Twilight)... the required suspension of disbelief is just too great.

I've never seen/read Sophie's Choice, so that's definately going on my to-read list.

Return to “Everything Else”