• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Musicians: TAB websites are being shut down...help

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I am totally pissed about this issue that I just have recently found out about. I use a few websites to get me TAB music notations to learn songs and techniques from my favorite performers. Well, when I went to bassmasta.net recently, I was informed that there is legal proceedings against the TAB websites, which is trying to include imprisonment of the website creators, and that TABs are no longer available for many, many songs.This is a bit insane. Most of these site are NOT copying or scanning images of sheet music. They are musicians that figure out the songs and take their own time to transpose the music into TAB in order to help fellow musicians. Most sheet music books are extremely expensive. I for one RELY on these TAB site to help me progress in my music performance and to learn technique and just have fun playing a song I like to play.This action by the music industry is excessive and will, IMO, end up hurting musicians in the long run, especially those young musicians that are just learning the craft.Please consider signing this petition or finding a way to make a difference in this matter.Petition to save TAB musical notation websitesAnd please pass this around.Nick But atheism is no more a religion than not playing chess is a hobby. - Robert Sawyer - Sci Fi AuthorI'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)"The Sentient may percieve and love the universe, but the universe cannot percieve and love the sentient. The universe sees no distinction between the multitude of creatures and elements which comprise it. All are equal. None is favored...It cannot control what it creates and it cannot, it seems, be controlled by its creations (though a few might decieve themselves otherwise). Those who curse the workings of the universe curse that which is deaf. Those who strike out at those workings fight that which is inviolate. Those who shake their fists, shake their fists at blind stars." - Michael Moorcock in the "Queen of the Swords"Edited by: misterpessimistic at: 7/3/07 11:24 am
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Ultimate Guitar got served cease and desist papers last year and publicly posted the letter with a big FU to the music industry. Since UG is located out of Russia, they believe there is nothing that can be done to shut them down. Check out UG for Tabs as they have quite a good selection though probably not as many bass tabs as a dedicated bass tab site.Petitions won't matter, the RIAA needs to be punished for bad behavior until they grow up and try fixing the problem they themselves created by screwing non-pop-star-best-selling-artists and fans. RIAA missed the boat by going after NAPSTER instead of partnering with them. Now they are going after wanna-be-possible-future-guitar-superstars by shutting down a source of inspiration and learning. You want to learn how to bite the hand that feeds? There is no one better to learn about. The increase of technology will hopefully lead to a flood of self production, regional promotion agencies, and indie network sales sites committed to unlimited downloads per a monthly fee (a la the widely popular netflix). Paying for individual albums and songs is so 1980s and paying for individual song books from individual artists to find tabs is so 1990s. Monthly service fees and add-ons are in, welcome to the 2000s, RIAA!/rant
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Musicians: TAB websites are being shut down...help

Unread post

Thanks for the adivce on the Tab site...as you said, not as much as the other one.I will be following this. I just think it is a complete load of shit. Most people who use these aides and novices and this could hurt a developing musician, IMO, because learning to play the songs of favorite bands also helps one to explore the techniques and compositions of the intrument in question.Ah....poo...Mr. P. But atheism is no more a religion than not playing chess is a hobby. - Robert Sawyer - Sci Fi AuthorI'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)"The Sentient may percieve and love the universe, but the universe cannot percieve and love the sentient. The universe sees no distinction between the multitude of creatures and elements which comprise it. All are equal. None is favored...It cannot control what it creates and it cannot, it seems, be controlled by its creations (though a few might decieve themselves otherwise). Those who curse the workings of the universe curse that which is deaf. Those who strike out at those workings fight that which is inviolate. Those who shake their fists, shake their fists at blind stars." - Michael Moorcock in the "Queen of the Swords"

Return to “Everything Else”