• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kostya

Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Unread post

Following program was on NPR today and I found it to be very interesting:"Cognitive scientist George Lakoff argues that the red state/blue state division of America reflects different world-views and moral philosophies. We talk with Lakoff about the ways liberals and conservatives see the world." This is an audio stream that is about 33 minutes long: http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode= ... f=WMLakoff has also published a book that talks about these issues: Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think by George Lakoff.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Unread post

Here's one view from the Anarchist fold, Noam Chomsky, who has criticism enough for Liberals and Conservatives alike.Quote:Systems of Power and their Human CostsIn dealing with enemies (say, Pol Pot, or Maoist China), we properly attribute to them deaths caused by starvation, disease, overwork, etc., insofar as these result from institutional structures and political choices. That's quite independent of intention. Thus in the Black Book of Communism, compiled to demonstrate the evil of our enemies and very highly praised in the West (here too), they estimate 100 million deaths from 1917 to the end of the century, the largest component being the famine in China in the late 1950s, maybe 25 million. No one claims that it was intended or planned. The most serious studies do regard it as criminal, attributing it to the sociopolitical system that prevented information from reaching the center in time to do anything
Kostya

Unread post

Dissident,Lakoff is talking about differences between left and right thinking. Specifically, he is talking about his ideas of why people lean towards one or the other spectrum of political divide. He talks about differences of the moral systems behind conservatives and progressives and why representatives of each side hold to their internally consistent (on some level) but different philosophies of the world.I don't know how is any of the above having anything to do with what you've just posted? Does Chomsky help us understand why some people are conservatives and some are progressives? And if your point is that there is no difference between the two then I think you are wrong. You might disagree with either side but there is no question in anyone's mind that there are people on the left and people on the right of political spectrum and that there is something fundamentally different about their approach to the world.Thank you.Kostya
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Chomsky's point is that in most cases, the overwhelming number of cases, the vast majority of Left and Right agree on at least this key issue:The crimes of our enemies arise out of crass self-interest, even evil intentions; whereas that abuses commited by the USA arise out of noble intentions gone awry...that is IF they are willing to admit to any abuses in the first place.And that may be one meaningful difference between the Left and Right...most often, the Left is at least willing to admit to abuses committed over seas, but is quick to rationalize them away. Whereas the Right thinks we haven'e been brutal enough, and should kick even more ass, but is quick to add that if We do it, by definition it cannot be a crime.
Kostya

Unread post

Yes, left and right agree on some thing and disagree on some other things. Chomsky has some valid points about exiting double standards in how people (not just Americans but EVERYONE) view politics and life. Despite the fact that the quote from the NPR website that I posted talks about red and blue states and implies that this is somehow an American issue
Tim Nonzero

Unread post

IMO the left appears to be more affluent in the middle and working classes (in Britain anyway). I'd say that the working class embraces the left through the

Return to “Current Events & History”