• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Minority Rights for Agnostics and Atheists

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
RickU

Minority Rights for Agnostics and Atheists

Unread post

I'd like to discuss the fact that I think our rights are stepped on by our government. Our rights as atheists and agnostics, and frankly, the rights of other "minority" religions as well. I'd also like suggestions involving what we can do about it.A prime example of this discrimination would be the ban on federal funding for stem cell research. The decision to ban federal funding is almost strictly a religious one based on this administrations abortion views. There are many other examples including the continued use of "In God We Trust" on our bills and the "Under God" in the pledge.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Minority Rights for Agnostics and Atheists

Unread post

Here is a link to the Bright home page.Here is an excerpt from it:Quote: the reason & purposeCurrently the naturalistic worldview is insufficiently expressed within most cultures. The purpose of this movement is to form an Internet constituency of individuals, the Brights, having social and political recognition and power. There is a great diversity of persons who have a naturalistic worldview. Under a broad umbrella, the Brights can gain social and political influence in a society otherwise permeated with supernaturalism. 1. Promote the civic understanding and acknowledgment of the naturalistic worldview, which is free of supernatural and mystical elements. 2. Gain public recognition that: persons who hold such a worldview can bring principled actions to bear on matters of civic importance. 3. Educate society toward accepting the full and equitable civic participation of all such individuals.The name has created quite a stir, but I think the idea is a good one. The issues that I am currently irked by are over-the-counter-morning-after-pills not being available, the debate on an amendment to make marriage only between a man and a woman (going on right now in my local national legislature!), and .......I'm not sure what the other one was. I lost it somewhere in the multiple edits I just did. Maybe I should have just left the entire post as a link, it was kind of cool.Sorry, I'm back on track. Rick, this is a good subject to discuss. There's got to be more I could do besides just join an organization and cancel out my Dad's vote every year. Edited by: scrumfish at: 7/13/04 9:06 am
RickU

Unread post

I've seen stuff on the Brights in another thread. I wouldn't want to associate myself with anything by that name though. It's way too pretentious for public consumption.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Stem Cell research is just another example of how the Bush that currently occupies the White House views science and learning...with contempt!What do you expect from the son of someone who said: Quote:No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.This exclusionist way of thinking is not new and seems to not be going away. What can we do?Teach the young to be more open minded. Keep the creationists out of the science class (and all other classes for that matter). Fight, fight, fight.I forget who said it (aside from me in another post) but the saying goes something like: New ideas do not become accepted by convincing those opposed that it is right, but by waiting for those opposed to it to die.Well, will religion ever die? It seems to get stronger...but that is because adherents have been very successful in indoctrinating new adherents. So we must use the same tactics.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
RickU

Unread post

I was thinking more along the lines of a civil rights movement. You know..Monty Python's..."HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!" type of thing. There are very few people that we will "convert" as much as I'd like to believe that was not the case.There is an equal rights movement, and has been since the 50's. We just need it to include us I think. Or, to start our own.Not booktalk necessarily mind you...but our people. Our kind...And it doesn't start with a name that immediately sounds like it's patronizing anyone who's not part of the organization (AKA "Brights")
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I see. I dunno if I would want to be 'accepted by law'. I prefer to eventually enlighten as many as I can. Which is why I like talking to kids. They are more receptive. Sometimes, I even like being in the minority. I have always pulled for the underdog (undergods?)?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Thank god for radical Islam. It's the one chance we have of showing America that religion is problematic. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Will it show that religion is problematic, or will it just make the Christians all that much more high and mighty?Remember...my god is better than yours. There is nothing that will show these believers the truth, the ignorance being so ingrained. Our only hope is teaching the younger people well.MR. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Rick:How about this for atheist rights. In my state, you can not opt out of vaccinations for your kids except for a medical or religious reason. I believe atheists do not fit one of those criteria.What could we do about that?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

You could try saying that you are a humanist and that you don't believe/believe in...Incidentally, try saying you're a humanist when Jehova's witnesses call - in my experience - they can't handle it; They scuttle off like whipped pups

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”