• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Millionaire Bernie Sanders drops out of presidential race

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: Millionaire Bernie Sanders drops out of presidential race

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Bernie is really loved by people in the atheist community but he is too far left to have a chance. And now he's out of the picture and that's probably a good thing. Too bad the best the Democrats could put forth is Joe Biden. Biden is clearly suffering from dementia and that only gets worse over time. I'm really torn now. I hate to admit it but there is a small chance I might vote for Trump.
Even if it's true that Biden has dementia (and overlooking LevV's cogent question concerning the alternative) I think it is pretty likely that Biden is decent enough to take a test if he shows really serious signs, and remove himself if he is screwing up decisions. Maybe not, since Reagan was suffering from dementia and did not step aside, but Biden is also pretty sure to appoint competent people, as Reagan did. So even if Biden remains in office while damaged, the country will have an effective government.

The alternative is Bill Barr, Steve Mnuchin (who could be worse but is no economist's idea of a truthteller or a deep thinker) and a rotation of temporary appointments who don't require Senate confirmation and take orders from Jared (Peace in the Middle East) Kushner.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Harry wrote:
since Reagan was suffering from dementia and did not step aside

Time for a fact check

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ronal ... s-disease/
However, the physicians who directly attended Ronald Reagan while he was president agreed unanimously that he never displayed signs or symptoms of dementia the whole time he was in office, the New York Times reported in 1997
“There was never anything that would raise a question about his ability to function as President,” said Dr. Lawrence C. Mohr, one of Mr. Reagan’s physicians in his second term. “Ronald Reagan’s cognitive function, belief structure, judgment, ability to choose between options, behavior and ability to communicate were totally and completely intact.”
As to Ron Regan's comments about his father's cognitive ability:
But Ron Reagan isn’t a physician, much less one trained to diagnose the symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease. His half-brother Michael Reagan vehemently disagreed with Ron’s armchair diagnosis and accused him of trying to “sell out his father to sell books.”

Ron later softened his claims in remarks to the New York Times, insisting he never meant to say his father was suffering from dementia while still in office, but rather that the disease was “likely present in him” long before it was diagnosed. Experts say physiological and neurological changes linked to Alzheimer’s start showing up in the brain years before outward symptoms appear.

Verdict: UNPROVEN
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

ant wrote:Harry wrote:
since Reagan was suffering from dementia and did not step aside
Time for a fact check

Verdict: UNPROVEN
I'm willing to accept the word of Snopes' sources, but if Biden suffers from dementia currently, then so did Reagan while he was in office. I saw the guy zone out and fumble around for obvious things he was going to say. Okay, we all do that to some extent, but if we're going to cut Reagan that much slack, then Biden gets it too.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

but if Biden suffers from dementia currently, then so did Reagan while he was in office.
Are you a physician that specializes in dementia? Is that your expert opinion?

If not, can you provide medical evidence for your claim that Regan suffered from clinical dementia?

Personally, I dont think I've ever made the claim that Biden suffers from dementia.. I do think he's creepy though.. Particularly his video taped behavior around pubescents and teens.

How about you, Harry.. Do you think his snuggling with minors on video is just normal behavior? Or is that Joe just being Joe?
Last edited by ant on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Current Events & History”