• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Media is LIBERAL! ...finally proven

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Media is LIBERAL! ...finally proven

Unread post

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political ScientistWhile the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal is conservative, the newspaper's news pages are liberal, even more liberal than The New York Times. The Drudge Report may have a right-wing reputation, but it leans left. Coverage by public television and radio is conservative compared to the rest of the mainstream media. Meanwhile, almost all major media outlets tilt to the left.These are just a few of the surprising findings from a UCLA-led study, which is believed to be the first successful attempt at objectively quantifying bias in a range of media outlets and ranking them accordingly."I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are.""Overall, the major media outlets are quite moderate compared to members of Congress, but even so, there is a quantifiable and significant bias in that nearly all of them lean to the left," said co‑author Jeffrey Milyo, University of Missouri economist and public policy scholar.The results appear in the latest issue of the Quarterly Journal of Economics, which will become available in mid-December.Groseclose and Milyo based their research on a standard gauge of a lawmaker's support for liberal causes. Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) tracks the percentage of times that each lawmaker votes on the liberal side of an issue. Based on these votes, the ADA assigns a numerical score to each lawmaker, where "100" is the most liberal and "0" is the most conservative. After adjustments to compensate for disproportionate representation that the Senate gives to low‑population states and the lack of representation for the District of Columbia, the average ADA score in Congress (50.1) was assumed to represent the political position of the average U.S. voter.Groseclose and Milyo then directed 21 research assistants
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: Media is LIBERAL! ...finally proven

Unread post

Some thoughts on the matter....."The major media are large corporations, owned by and interlinked with even larger conglomerates. Like other corporations, they sell a product to a market. The market is advertisers - that is, other businesses. The product is audiences, [and] for the elite media, [they're] relatively privileged audiences. So we have major corporations selling fairly wealthy and privileged audiences to other businesses. Not surprisingly, the picture of the world presented reflects the narrow and biased interests and values of the sellers, the buyers and the product." Noam Chomsky"The media serve the interests of state and corporate power, which are closely interlinked, framing their reporting and analysis in a manner supportive of established privilege and limiting debate and discussion accordingly." Noam Chomsky"The elite domination of the media and the marginalization of dissidents that results from the operation of these filters occurs so naturally that media news people, frequently operating with complete integrity and goodwill, are able to convince themselves that they choose and interpret the news "objectively" and on the basis of professional news values. Within the limits of the filter constraints they often are objective; the constraints are so powerful, and are built into the system in such a fundamental way, that alternative bases of news choices are hardly imaginable." Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky"It is a truism, often issued with pride by the main media themselves, that the national news has a major impact on the national political agenda. What the main media emphasize is what politicians attend to. Whatever is not given steady emphasis in the news is more safely forgotten by those who make the laws and regulations. Consequently, the media race for quick and easy profits that pushed the real issues into the shadows has imposed a high cost on American voters: it becomes easier for politicians to distract the public with false or exaggerated issues. ... Continuous repetition and emphasis create high priorities in the public mind and in government. It is in that power
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

The Myth of a Liberal Media

Unread post

Nowhere in the above article is "The Left" or "Liberal" defined, nor are there any references to leading scholars, thinkers, activists who are self-identified "Liberal-Leftists". The closest it arrives at a definition involves uncritically adopting the methodology of the ADA Americans for Democratic action and naming the NAACP as one sample of "left leaning" thinktanks. Fundamental to the argument is the mistaken assumption that Democrats in Congress equal Leftist or Liberal. Absolutely missing from the study is the structural concerns of media ownership, thus profoundly weakening any hope for arriving at any meaningful conclusions.I would be willing to entertain the notion of Liberal Bias in the Media if I was to actually see and read more liberals and progressives making their case. I mean, when was the last time Noam Chomsky or Tariq Ali or Arundhati Roy or David Barsamian or Amy Goodman or Michael Parenti or Vandana Shiva were shown as regular editorial columnists or guests on news interviews, debates or panel discussions? How often does Phyllis Bennis or Stephen Zunes get air time or ink space? If you aren't familiar with these names, that only supports my point: these voices and their arguments are not heard in the Media.If you are interested in the classic examination of Media bias, please spend some time with Noam Chomsky and Ed Herman's Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. Below is a link to discussions with Chomsky regarding this book:An Exchange on Manufacturing Consent Noam Chomsky interviewed by various activists Excerpted from Understanding Power, The New Press, 2002 Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 12/19/05 6:16 pm
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

you quote chomsky and herman in a topic suggesting the media is liberal??!! their text 'manufacutring consent' puts forth the propaganda model that grossly over simplified says the bias is about supporting the current governmental and economic systems, not a right or left bias.how about the FACT the NPR, often reported as the most liberal media source, has way more than half of their think tank experts come from right leaning institutions:www.npr.org/templates/sto...Id=5053335the media is biased towards money. a few rogue minor networks and factions report on their slant of the world. but media needs money to survive and will say anything to get more people to watch.the major problem with most news sources these days is that they don't really report, they repeat. they ask people for sound bites and repeat what they say. that is just crap. balanced is not always right. un covering the truth and fact checking and calling people on it when the facts don't line up, that is reporting the way it should be. impartial, but not just regurgitating lame sound bites. that is propaganda.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I think you'll find that Dissident is liable to quote Chomsky and Herman in just about any context.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

rivercoil: you quote chomsky and herman in a topic suggesting the media is liberal??!! Seems more than appropriate, considering the vast amount of scholarship the two have brought to the topic. I'm not sure if you come away from my posts concluding that I utilize Chomsky/Herman to support the original post or, what?I think I've assembled more than enough to clarify that I reject the thesis of the original post. Care to show me how I've done otherwise?MA: I think you'll find that Dissident is liable to quote Chomsky and Herman in just about any context.Indeed, for example:Quote:"Mad Architect, known theist and bibliophile rabblerouser at the increasingly popular Booktalk website, often filled with Anarchist passion, Christian love and Prophetic pathos, occasionally trades his Plato for Paul, Aristotle for Abraham, and might even admit to a few sleepless nights wrestling with Nietzsche...has offered hours of damned fine fact checking for my series of books exposing the crimes and misdemeanors of Corporate Globalism and American Militarism; I highly recommend his work." Gnome Chomskee
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Dissident, my apologies, i did not notice that your references were not included as the original post which was made by chris. i failed to notice they were two seperate posts by two seperate people which explains my confusion and likely your own since you went on to make a post recommending manufacutring consent at the same time i made my post.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Rivercoil, thanks for the clarification. Care to share some thoughts about Chomsky's media analysis?

Return to “Current Events & History”