• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

May 2001 - The many faces of anti-intellectualism

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

May 2001 - The many faces of anti-intellectualism

Unread post

This thread is for discussing Massimo Pigliucci's Rationally Speaking article entitled The many faces of anti-intellectualism.Quote:N. 10, May 2001The many faces of anti-intellectualismUniversities should not subsidize intellectual curiosity. This oxymoronic statement was uttered by none other than then candidate for the governorship of California Ronald Reagan in the late 1960s. The astounding thing is not that somebody like Reagan would actually say something so outrageously stupid, but that this helped him winning the election and ushering a new era of official anti-intellectualism in America. This is continuing to this day, witness the fact that the current president, George W. Bush, has run a campaign as the (Yale-educated!) champion of the everyday man against the "pointed-head" intellectualism of rival Al Gore.Anti-intellectualism has always been a powerful undercurrent in American culture, and it will probably play a major role in our society for a long time to come. Regardless of how depressing such thoughts might be, the first rule to win a war is to know thy enemy; which is why I'd like to discuss the major types of anti-intellectualism and how they threaten the very existence of a liberal society. Richard Hofstadter, in a classic book on anti-intellectualism, first described the phenomenon in its entirety, and what I succinctly propose here is an elaboration on his main categories and on the more recent work of D. Rigney. The first kind of anti-intellectualism can be termed "anti-rationalism." This is the idea that rational thinking is both cold (as in lacking sensitivity) and amoral (which is apparently a bad thing, in some people's mind not sufficiently distinct from im-moral). The perception that scientists and philosophers
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: May 2001 - The many faces of anti-intellectualism

Unread post

Moved from the Rationally Speaking forum due to appropriateness.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P

Return to “Current Events & History”