• In total there are 37 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Massimo Pigliucci

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
pigliucci

Massimo Pigliucci

Unread post

Hi there!My name is Massimo Pigliucci. I am an Associate Professor at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, where I teache ecology and evolutionary biology. My research is on the evolution of genotype-environment interactions, i.e. on nature-nurture problems.A bit about my academic background (you never know, someody might be curious ): I received my Doctorate in Genetics at the University of Ferrara in Italy and my PhD in Botany from the University of Connecticut. I am currently finishing a PhD in Philosophy of Science at the University of Tennessee. I have published a bit more than 70 technical papers and two books on evolutionary biology: Phenotypic Evolution, for Sinauer, with Carl Schlichting, and Phenotypic Plasticity: Beyond Nature vs. Nurture, for Johns Hopkins University Press.As a skeptic, I have been active since 1997 (i.e., since I moved to Tennessee... ) and have published in Free Inquiry (for which I write a regular op-ed column), Skeptic, Skeptical Inquirer (for which I also write a regular column on the scientific method), Philosophy Now, and The Philosopher's Magazine. I have given lectures for many humanist and freethought groups around the country, and have had the dubious honor of debating several theists and creationists, including William Craig, William Dembski, Duane Gish, Ken Hovind, and Jonathan Wells. I have been recently elected as a Consultant for the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal.In my spare time I produce a monthly e-column called Rationally Speaking and have authored Tales of the Rational: Skeptical Essays About Nature and Science (Freethought Press, Atlanta). My most recent book, Denying Evolution: Creationism, Scientism, and the Nature of Science is published by Sinauer Press. I can be reached via email (see below) or on the web at the Rationally Speaking web site.Some selected skeptic publications include:> Pigliucci, M. 2003. Methodological vs. philosophical naturalism. Free Inquiry, winter, 23 (1), pp. 53-55.> Pigliucci, M. 2002. Causes and correlations. Skeptical Inquirer, Jan/Feb, 27 (1), pp. 15-16.> Pigliucci, M. 2002. What do we do about creationism? Suggestions about how to change people's minds. Skeptic, 9 (4), pp. 56-68.> Pigliucci, M. 2002. Science and Religion. Pp. 443-454 in M. Shermer, ed. The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience. ABC Clio, Santa Barbara, CA.> Pigliucci, M. 2002. Hypothesis testing and the nature of skeptical investigations. Skeptical Inquirer, Nov/Dec, 26 (6), pp. 27-30.OK, enough about me! [email protected] Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/17/03 2:39:24 am
TNcoondawg

Re: Introduction

Unread post

Welcome, Professor and Neighbor! I am in Nashville, TN. I have seen "Rationally Speaking" before. I will look at it more often now.I look forward to your input also to meeting you in chat one of these thursday nights.Ern
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Massimo,Welcome to BookTalk! I'm thrilled that you decided to join us. I'm new to the world of skepticism but I'm catching on fast. I really enjoy a lot of your Rationally Speaking articles. They're quite thought provoking. Tales of the Rational is also on my list of books that I really want to read. I look forward to future discussions with you on the forums and in the chatroom. Cheryl
stevepainter

Unread post

Welcome Massimo!Of course, this kind of makes you a "ringer" when discussing your column, don't you think? Seriously, it will be wonderful to have the insight of the fellow who penned the words.Steve
Kenny Meek

Unread post

I very much enjoyed your "Tales of the Rational," especially the chapter on Surviving Gish. Great to have you around.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Massimo:I'm happy to see you've come aboard! For years now I have been reading your articles, books and debate transcripts and have come to deeply respect your commitment to reason and science. The scientific world needs more people like you, who aren't afraid to speak their minds and rock the boat when religion/irrationality creep into our lives.Some of your debates have been incredible and I can't wait to be able to attend one live. I find myself laughing when your questions are dodged and your opponent commits every known logical fallacy...taking advantage of an emotionally biased audience. If I recall... Infidelguy either hosted a debate or simply provided a transcript of your debate with Gish. How you can avoid putting the guy in a headlock is beyond me. Ok, one question I have wondered - how do you pronounce your last name? Not that this is that important in regards to the BookTalk community, but your name has come up in many conversations with fellow freethinkers. It would be nice to know how to say it correctly.I'm currently rereading "Tales of the Rational" and am on the chapter "Surviving Duane Gish." This would make an awesome book for BookTalk, so I'll throw it up on our Book Suggestions forum in the All Book Suggestions Go Here thread. Maybe we could get a chat debate between you and Gish? Then again, I doubt they would allow Gish access to a computer from jail. Those wardens aren't very open minded. LOL Ok, that was a low blow. Do you plan to attend the Atheist Alliance convention in Florida in April? I don't think that your name was on the list of guest speakers. Richard Dawkins and Michael Shermer will be talking, so you would fit in well. If you have any interest please let me know and I'll talk to the person who is organizing it...unless you are already in contact with Alex. He was asking several of us recently for suggested guest speakers and other activities. I brought up your name, but if you're interested I'll give him a call and get the two of you in contact with each other. The dates are April 18th thru the 20th. I've been asked to put in a few words about BookTalk during the "open mic" session, so maybe we'll get some new members then.Edit - now that I think about it...Alex did say he knew you, so obviously you two are in contact with each other. I just shot him an email suggesting you as a guest speaker.Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/12/03 10:58:34 pm

Return to “Everything Else”