• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 2, chapters; 1-4

#104: Jan. - Feb. 2012 (Fiction)
Damifino
Intern

Re: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 2, chapters; 1-4

Unread post

Oh my, what have I missed? I have read up to chapter 4 in part 2 this morning and don't recall anything about the Prof's eating habits. The only thing that jumps out at me is when Kid offered him an egg he declined saying he prefers to eat at home. Can someone please tell me which chapter mentions his glutinous eating habits are in?
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

giselle wrote:
smileyface123123 wrote: I don't think we should see the Professor as distant or unfeeling, he is just doing his job. It will be interesting to see if a friendship develops between them because this will make this professionalism very diffcult to maintain. Also, it will be interesting to see if the Professor is actually interested in research or has alterior motives and is using research as a ploy.
I am liking the Professor. I think he is sincere at this point in wanting to know what makes the combination of homelessness and convicted sex offenders tick. And why the numbers are growing. I think he cares. And he knows that he is smart enough to figure it out. If he gets recognition from his peers that will be the icing on the cake.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

smileyface123123 wrote:I enjoyed the scene where the Professor arrives at Benbow's and meets the 'colourful' characters there. Quite interesting how this plays out, complete with stories of 'Nam'.
I liked that to. Last night we watch Wheel of Fortune and I was thinking of the book and Vanna White.
Last edited by Damifino on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

WildCityWoman wrote:I took it, from these 4 chapters, that at this point in the story The Kidd did NOT want to leave Benlow - he doesn't want to go back to the Causeway.

The Kid seems interested in what the professor is telling him - about Captain Kidd, etc. He seems interested in the history of the place.
The Kid seemed to perk up when he heard that Captain Kydd's first name was Billy. The Kid looks out to sea with a dreamy, fearful half-smile on his face, like an adopted boy who's just been handed the name and address of his birth father.

Now that is the Professor's doing. He has lured Kid. Just like fishing. He dangled the bait in front of the Kid and then set the hook with the promise of bringing him a map where the buried treasure is.

And in order to keep the Kid where the Prof can figure him out he pays for his rent and odd jobs.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote: I'm still not trusting the Prof. We'll see what happens.
The only thing I have my doubts about right now is I am not sure I believe him when he tells the others that he has a wife and child at home. I was surprised to hear that seeing as he was shy around girls at a younger age and that he would rather be invisible (like Kid).
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

smileyface123123 wrote: The professor does go out of his way to make sure Kid can stay at Benbow's by paying Benbow, but I still think it is for himself instead of for Kid's benefit.
That's so he can do his research. And right now that is his main concern. I think they will become friends and that may prove to be difficult for the Prof. He is trying to earn the Kid's trust but if they get too buddy buddy (and I'm not talking in a perverted way) the Professor will feel uneasy with the trust he has gained.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I was thinking about bad judgement and the bad choices we all make in life. Some worse then others. But we all have made them at some point.

Here in BC they are finally laying charges on the rioters from the Stanley Cup in Vancouver. The first one just yesterday. The young man will get 18 months in jail for his part. This will have an impact on the rest of his life. For doing something real dumb. Got caught up in the act.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:The professor creeps me out. I think the kid is smart to be warry of him. What do you guys think about the professor's weight? His weight may be a big reason I don't trust him. I feel that he is consuming people. Is he truly helping the kid and the men under the causeway or is he feeding off them? Do you think the professor's weight has any meaning?
I think I need to read more of the story. Right now it doesn't bother me. The Prof has always been big. I don't understand why you can't trust him because of that. Is it all fat people you don't trust or just the Professor?
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Tigerlily22 wrote:The professor thinks about remembering that social norms between him and the Kid are going to be different. The Kid explains dumpster diving etiquette at one point. This is something that the professor most likely has not learned. By the professor keeping the idea of differing social norms in mind, he is most likely going to ask about Kids background and stories about the everyday life of Kid for examples of social norms for both sex offenders and homeless males.
Think there will be a lot of new thinking for both Kid and Professor. Who will get the most out of it by the end is anyone's guess. I would love to see them both coming out of this with more confidence in themselves.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

After just finishing chapter 5 I will no longer make any more predictions.

Suzanne....the Professor is creeping me out to.

Return to “Lost Memory of Skin: A Novel - by Russell Banks”