Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Lost is awesome. 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Lost is awesome.
The episodes get better and better after the 1st one. Tell your wife to hang in there. This show has some highly freaky aspects that I won't mention in fear of spoiling things for you.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Has anyone read "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'brien? It was endorsed by the makers of Lost and there are some interesting parallels.

Gem

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:59 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Gem wrote:
Has anyone read "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'brien? It was endorsed by the makers of Lost and there are some interesting parallels.

Gem

I have always wanted to read this. Someone should nominate it as the next fiction selection.

I bought the first season DVDs of Lost for my week in Maryland. I'll make my wife watch at least one more episode and we'll see if it takes. :)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:38 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Ok,

so what do you think is the deal here?

Are Jacob and the "smoky" really gods, or are they part of some space/time abberation?

Who's going to be the next Jacob? Is there going to be a new "Smoky"?

Was Locke really important, or just a pawn in "Smoky's plot to take out Jacob?

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:35 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I have to admit that I have become confused and "lost" about "Lost". I haven't watched much of this season because it just has gotten too nutty for me. I will give it another shot soon. Are you finding this season to be up to par?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile Email WWW
Tenured Professor

I am liking it quite a bit.

I am always trying to discover the underlying rules of any particular sci-fi or fantasy universe, and it looks like Lost is finally delivering on theirs.

I'll give a quick run down of my understanding if anyone is interested.

It appears so far that Jacob and the smoke monster are perhaps representations of good and evil. Avatars perhaps. The island, due to its unique electromagnetic properties, is a kind of prison for the smoke monster. It is said by many characters that if smoky ever got off the island it would be the end of everything.

Jacob brings people to the island and tries to get the to do the right thing by testing them, and smoky tries to subvert that. Sort of the dynamic you would expect of the traditional god and devil.

When they detonated the bomb in the past, it created an alternate time-line in which the island plays no part from 197(5?) onward. Desmond, so far, seems to be the only character who can sort of travel between these two universes, and it appears there is something that has to be done in the island-less universe to make things right.

There are a few characters from the original crash who are candidates to replace jacob. Somehow, one of them is supposed to take over the mantle of "island protector"

There is a lot of other stuff going on, but this is basically what the main thrust of the season is.

So far, it is one of my favorite seasons. I think i liked season 2 the best.

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 am
Tenured Professor

Well, it's over now.

was everyone satisfied with the conclusion?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

I thought the finale was amazing!

I didn't get into Lost until right before the fourth season. I started watching the first season after I got it for Christmas and finished all three season in a little over a month. It was so addicting.

So, for the fourth, fifth, and sixth seasons I watched them live on tv. Things changed a lot from the beginning when it was just a plane crash to a time where all of the survivors were there for a reason.

The ending in the church was a surprise to me. I had some thoughts about it possibly happening, but the way they did it I thought was excellent. The light of the Island was a little cheesy, but it worked. Having Hurley end up as the new "Jacob" of the Island was a great idea since he always seemed to be lacking a reason for his existence.

Overall I loved it. I own the first five seasons and once I graduate and have some money I will buy the sixth season and watch it over again. Lost is one of those shows where you always find new things and new meanings in extra viewings.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:20 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2