• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Losing My Religion by REM

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Losing My Religion by REM

Unread post

I would like to put this link to a You Tube video in reach of the people at this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vs21ZKrKM

I thought about using some of the lyrics to this song as the signature quote at the end of my posts here. What I like about the song is that it captures the mood, themes and uncertainty of the kind of timely debate that goes on at this site, and it exposes the underlying insecurities and how much is at stake while resisting jumping to a new place of dogma. "Oh no I've said too much. I haven't said enough...."
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks, Gentlereader! This is a favorite song and band of mine. Following your link lead to 45 happy minutes on UTube listening to REM and Natalie Merchant.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Hi Gentle Reader,
I used to live in Eugene! I live in Portland now but my family still lives in Eugene so I go down to visit periodically. Take care, India
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I love that song. I always thought it was about someone questioning the existence of God, but apparently that was just me reading into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losing_My_Religion
In the song, Michael Stipe sings the lines "That's me in the corner/That's me in the spotlight/Losing my religion". The phrase "losing my religion" is an expression from the southern region of the United States that means losing one's temper or civility, or "being at the end of one's rope." Stipe told The New York Times the song was about romantic expression.[5] He told Q that "Losing My Religion" is about "someone who pines for someone else. It's unrequited love, what have you."[6] Stipe compared the song's theme to "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, saying, "It's just a classic obsession pop song. I've always felt the best kinds of songs are the ones where anybody can listen to it, put themselves in it and say, 'Yeah, that's me.'"[7]
XTC wrote a great one about questioning the existence of God. The first one is just the lyrics.

Just lyrics . . .

The video . . .

[/youtube]
-Geo
Question everything
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

The imagery and lyrics obviously are more important to R.E.M's music than the singers vocal capabilities. Ouch!

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”