• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Limbo

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ADO15

Limbo

Unread post

Pope Benedict has decided that the Catholic Church will abandon the concept of Limbo, adpted in the 13th Century to explain what happened to unbaptised babies, and since expanded to include 'good' people who were not part of the Catholic Church (classical philosophers, OT patriarchs, etc).So now - what? Benedict has altered the architecture of the afterlife by decree, and I guess the babies go to hell again. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Limbo

Unread post

So silly...Obviously this shit was all made up in the first place huh? There just is no validity to the afterlife promoted by any faith. Individual life just ends...You have a link to an article?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 12/1/05 10:55 am
ADO15

Unread post

Um, not searched for a link, but there is one article in the Guardian yesterday written by John Hooper [It's often quicker to search the Guardian website by journalist surname than articel title].And there was a reflection in G2 today which may not be on the website, but covered artistic depictions of Limbo, including Dante & Blake... _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Catholic Church never 'believed' in limbo in the first place. It was one of St. Augustine's notions. You were free to believe in it or not. It was a popular idea at times, but never an offical doctrine. It's amazing how bloody stupid these journalists are. I see on the scotsman's website, they offer a similar headline but go on to quote Ratzinger in his pre-pope days as saying 'Limbo has never been a defined truth of faith. Personally, speaking as a theologian and not as head of the Congregation, I would drop something that has always been only a theological hypothesis'. What the pope is going to say is that the idea is wrong. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The current Pope looks like a pedophile if I ever saw one. I'm serious. Look at that guy.Oh stop. I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but look at his little beady eyes. He looks like an honorary NAMBLA member at a Boy Scout convention.But here is my point.... (yes, I have one)Forget this limbo nonsense for a second. Isn't the point that the Catholic Church changes their stance all the time? Isn't it kinda crazy for the church to change course thousands of years after Jesus lived? A new Pope assumes control of the Catholic business and he rewrites the rule book.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well some would say that this is similar to science improving it's theories...a tired comeback to me.The point is...if there is such a thing as divine revelation, how could it be improved upon? This all goes to show that HUMANS created GOD and RELIGION and all that goes with it. If they could just admit this, then I would agree that religion has a place in our society...right next to the fiction section.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

This is me cheering you.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

You know, I would insert an explanation of why everything Chris just said was b/s based on misinterpretation and misrepresentation, but, I'll save the bandwith. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes...apologetics is full of bandwidth already! The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not wasting much personal bandwidth on this thread or subject. Religion is a joke and Catholicism an embarrassment to the human species.Wtf is baptism anyway? Are you guys serious? You mean you're not chuckling to yourself every time you hear about people being dunked under water in this twisted ritual? What a weird idea. The thought that a God wants people to be dunked under water is absolutely laughable.So Niall, thanks for saving us the bandwidth. It isn't like you or any Catholic has anything meaningful to add to this discussion. The reality is you guys think an invisible being mandates that people get slammed under water. I'm in a weird mood today. Sorry if I come across as an insensitive person, but religion is utter bullshit and it needs to be said. I can't fathom how grown adults can be so gullible and believe such obviously manmade nonsense.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”