Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 pm





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50! 
Author Message
Pop up Book Fanatic


Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 12
Thanks: 6
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
brian douglas wrote:
Scary...


I don't see what's so scary about this book. It uses facts and statistics to reveal the corrupt nature of liberalism and its ideology. I think that it is important for both liberals and conservatives to read. Whether you agree with the subject matter or not, you need to at least acknowledge the facts and attempt to understand the other perspective.



Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:30 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic


Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 12
Thanks: 6
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
DWill wrote:
You seem like an enterprising young guy, probably well spoken in your book, so I give you credit. Is one of your idols William F. Buckley, Jr., by chance? If in the book you also make a positive case for conservatism, I would think you'd need to confront how that political philosophy has been bastardized by today's supposed conservatives. Where or with whom do you find a political home?


Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with William F. Buckley Jr., but I will check out his literature. My inspiration was actually more personal. When I was a student in middle school, my very radical history teacher targeted me for being a conservative and forced his opinion upon the class. Often times, he refused to listen to me, and one time he even ripped up a paper I wrote on the subject. After that, I decided that I would write a book focusing on the corruption behind liberalism in order to bring the truth to light. To answer your other question, I identify as a conservative on most issues. I'm also under the opinion that many politicians in America are corrupt, therefore I do not find a political home with any of them. Further, I'm still looking to find a prominent individual or institution to identify with.



The following user would like to thank YoungRepublican for this post:
DWill
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Creative Writing Student


Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Location: Bahrain
Thanks: 5
Thanked: 14 times in 13 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
YoungRepublican wrote:
brian douglas wrote:
Scary...


I don't see what's so scary about this book. It uses facts and statistics to reveal the corrupt nature of liberalism and its ideology. I think that it is important for both liberals and conservatives to read. Whether you agree with the subject matter or not, you need to at least acknowledge the facts and attempt to understand the other perspective.



In a word... Verisimilitude?



My original response was a gut reaction and I should have resisted the temptation.


_________________
On the thin ice of modern life...


The following user would like to thank brian douglas for this post:
ant
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Liberal policies ultimately fail..

The only time liberals are willing to admit it is when those policies fall on their doorsteps.




Today's liberalism is antithetical to freedom.
It is an ideological disease of the mind that needs to be shut down



The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
YoungRepublican
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7162
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1107
Thanked: 2140 times in 1709 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
ant wrote:
Liberal policies ultimately fail..


How long until these liberal countries fail:

Iceland
Finland
Sweden
Norway
New Zealand


_________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams


Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:
Liberal policies ultimately fail..


How long until these liberal countries fail:

Iceland
Finland
Sweden
Norway
New Zealand



apples to oranges.

more precise I should have been..
myopic you are

(my inner yoda schooling your ass)



Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:
Liberal policies ultimately fail..


How long until these liberal countries fail:

Iceland
Finland
Sweden
Norway
New Zealand



This is the same old but fallaciously dumb argument bleeding heart liberals use as a "Gotcha"

It's simply fallaciously dumb to use tiny, Nordic countries as a one size fits-all model of success with a country as large and incredibly racially diverse as the United States..

As if Finland with a population of 5.5 million (my gosh, Dodger Stadium attracts more than 5 million people in about 3 seasons. There are about 2 million people living in an East Los Angeles zipcode alone!) is a good likeness for the USA.

Nordic white cultural/historical values grafted onto the United States historical / cultural histories.
Hey! The shoe fits! Wear it!!

:slap: :slap:



Last edited by ant on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7162
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1107
Thanked: 2140 times in 1709 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Quote:
It's simply fallaciously dumb to use tiny, Nordic countries as a one size fits-all model of success with a country as large and incredibly racially diverse as the United States..


The thing is, I truly don't think it's Liberalism that's failing. Liberalism can and does work. Regardless of any variable you can come up with why the nordic countries like New Zealand are successful in spite of your groupthink arguments against... they work.

What's failing in our country is something tangential to both sides. It's the power that rich people have over our government. Conservative policies make that worse, like those embodying trickle down economics and corporate welfare.

I'm genuinely curious what impact race has against the efficacy of liberal policies.


_________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams


Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Groupthink?

It is you who's groupthink is showing with that ridiculously common "what about Scandanavian/Nordic utopias" that is really a very poor categorical error.


Let's consider Denmark's "progressive tax rate"
Income is taxed at 60% when an individual's salary reaches the equivalent of 60K US dollars.

Consider a 3rd generation Mexican American, who's grandparents migrated from Mexico because they had nothing, and worked their asses off to raise a family making next to nothing, and had little tangible comforts to show for it, but lived with the dream their children, and grandchildren would have more than them.

Their children made slightly more, but lacked the education necessary to earn that much more than their parents.

THEIR children were able to be more prosperous in the job market and earn over 60K.

At family gatherings the family reminisces how their grandparents came from, had nothing, and remember their parents worked 16 hours a day to provide advantages for their kids they never had.

Do you think 3rd generation Hispanics, particularly middle aged Hispanics, would be okay giving up 60% of their income so as to send them back to what their parents earned jointly?

Are Hispanic Americans, or Black Americans supposed to favor the progressive tax rates of Nordic whites who live thousands of miles away and have had socialist policies baked into their DNA for generations?


Consider me a true example of the 3rd Gen Hispanic above.
Why should I favor progressive, white liberal socialistic Scandinavian tax policies because someone like you says what's good for Nordics is good for Americans of all colors and backgrounds?
I don't agree. I am just as American as you but likely come from entirely different background.

Your white privilege is showing badly here.



The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
YoungRepublican
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 6727
Location: Luray, Virginia
Thanks: 2059
Thanked: 2309 times in 1743 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
See what you started, Young Republican :) ? I hope you'll excuse me for not reading your book, but what are the core problems you see with what you're calling liberalism? I would encourage you to look into the historical roots of conservatism, because there you'll see a belief in the liberal world order. Confusing, huh? Not so surprising, though, since 'liberal' equates to liberty and freedom. If I'm not mistaken, it's loss of individual freedom that is the big complaint of conservatives against present-day liberals.

Problem is, when conservatives, so-called, move toward support of authoritarianism, they are perverting conservatism. That explains why many conservatives of the old school have objected, and backed away from Donald Trump, a would-be authoritarian.

I don't see a strong case for Trump as a conservative. How about you?



Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:14 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7162
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1107
Thanked: 2140 times in 1709 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Quote:
It is you who's groupthink is showing with that ridiculously common "what about Scandanavian/Nordic utopias" that is really a very poor categorical error.


Nothing you said proves that liberal policies always fail.

Your argument instead morphed into something about how the policies will always fail, but only in America and only because you aren't used to them. And New Zealand isn't nordic.


_________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams


Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Creative Writing Student


Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Location: Bahrain
Thanks: 5
Thanked: 14 times in 13 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
DWill wrote:
... If I'm not mistaken, it's loss of individual freedom that is the big complaint of conservatives against present-day liberals.



Yet conservatives easily accept the Patriot Act which has the capability to bypass all those freedoms. :roll:


_________________
On the thin ice of modern life...


The following user would like to thank brian douglas for this post:
DWill
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Interbane wrote:
Quote:
It is you who's groupthink is showing with that ridiculously common "what about Scandanavian/Nordic utopias" that is really a very poor categorical error.


Nothing you said proves that liberal policies always fail.

Your argument instead morphed into something about how the policies will always fail, but only in America and only because you aren't used to them. And New Zealand isn't nordic.



Fair enough.

Just as long as you understand it would be stupid to brag about how good people in Denmark or Sweden have it when discussing US policies.



Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5929
Thanks: 1380
Thanked: 973 times in 838 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
Don't know how permanent liberal policies are in Scandinavian countries.

Liberal policies are not entirely dominant and more of a blend with soft capitalism

Quote:
These are precisely the things Medicare for All would abolish. It’s intriguing that while socialists in America would rush to nationalize the health care system, Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes are all gradually increasing their use of private health insurance.


https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/06/13/ ... alth-care/


I don't think liberal policies are entirely successful in the context you pointed too.



Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic


Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 12
Thanks: 6
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Liberal Corruption is available now on Amazon.com for only $7.50!
DWill wrote:
See what you started, Young Republican :) ? I hope you'll excuse me for not reading your book, but what are the core problems you see with what you're calling liberalism? I would encourage you to look into the historical roots of conservatism, because there you'll see a belief in the liberal world order. Confusing, huh? Not so surprising, though, since 'liberal' equates to liberty and freedom. If I'm not mistaken, it's loss of individual freedom that is the big complaint of conservatives against present-day liberals.

Problem is, when conservatives, so-called, move toward support of authoritarianism, they are perverting conservatism. That explains why many conservatives of the old school have objected, and backed away from Donald Trump, a would-be authoritarian.

I don't see a strong case for Trump as a conservative. How about you?


I think that most of the discussion here is very productive, and I'm very impressed by it.

Although you make some good arguments, modern liberalism is completely different than classical liberalism. Yes, classical liberalism was all about liberty and freedom, but modern liberalism is about embracing new ideas over past ones and aligning with some set standpoints on issues. For example, liberals often support abortion, higher taxes, gun control, and more government regulation. Conservatives, on the other hand, are often pro-life, support lower taxes, prefer less gun control, and endorse less government regulation in general. However, you're right; the lines can get blurred as many individuals support ideas from both sides. With that being said, I believe that there is a valid argument for those that claim modern liberalism is limiting some of our individual freedoms. As far as Trump goes, he's not really a politician (he's more of a businessman). I would say that he does support a lot of conservative ideology, therefore he could be considered one.



The following user would like to thank YoungRepublican for this post:
DWill
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:11 pm
Profile Email
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Resources 
HELPFUL INFO:
Community Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Author Interview Transcripts
Book Discussion Leaders

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
Banned Books
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Coming Soon!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Coming Soon!

PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
Advertise on BookTalk.org
Promote your FICTION book
Promote your NON-FICTION book





BookTalk.org is a thriving book discussion forum, online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a community. Our forums are open to anyone in the world. While discussing books is our passion we also have active forums for talking about poetry, short stories, writing and authors. Our general discussion forum section includes forums for discussing science, religion, philosophy, politics, history, current events, arts, entertainment and more. We hope you join us!


Navigation 
MAIN NAVIGATION

HOMEFORUMSOUR BOOKSAUTHOR INTERVIEWSADVERTISELINKSFAQDONATETERMS OF USEPRIVACY POLICYSITEMAP

OTHER PAGES WORTH EXPLORING
Banned Book ListOnline Reading GroupTop 10 Atheism Books

Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2019. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank