• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Let's talk about the Bible (KJV 1611)!!!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
NathanielPRobbins

Re: Vindictiveness

Unread post

Our Beliefs:pub49.ezboard.com/ftruech...D=36.topicAmen!Nathaniel P. Robbinspub49.ezboard.com/btruechristiansunite
Hestiasmissives

Re: Back to the Bible

Unread post

So that was Bjinke's point then. Rev. Robbins needs to feel worthy of persecution so he is looking to do battle with windmills?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

TimQuote:I think the Bible, from this presupposition alone, can be regarded, at most, as a means to some spiritual end. It cannot be an end in itself, as so many systematic theologians have tried to make it be, for it invariably breaks down when exposed to the minute scrutiny which accompanies claims of absolute truth.I've never heard anyone approach it that way, but you've got a good point. Nice couple of posts Tim. Quote:He may or may not be for real, but regardless, I suspect his motivation to be the same--that is to shock, revile and antogonize by whatever means necessary in pursuit of attention, adoration, animosity, etc.With that said...it still must be asked whether or not he believes the nonsense he spews. Is it all for attention?Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

Chris,Thanks. That perspective, although much diluted, is essentially what was presented to me by none other than a Evangelical university professor I know. The positive side of being in such intimate proximy to some of the leaders in the Evangelical community is the unique opportunity I have to witness the internal stress and tension the difficult doctrines exert on the community--a perspective not readily available to the average non-believer. While fundamentalism may be on the rise among the lay-christians, and Bible students, I sense a small but growing inertia, inexorably moving towards a more liberal worldview among the academic and scholastic believers. Fundamentalism, I think (and hope), is really only prevalent when education and critical thinking skills are discouraged. While resisting the invariable consequences of thinking for oneself have been refined to a remarkable degree in the religious academia, they cannot be extinguished altogether and ever so gradually bring the doctrine in line with truth, much like a river slowly eroding an otherwise unscaleable cliff wall.Well that's all I have time for now.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Timothy,I suggest you spend a little time exploring some of the work I've assembled along the Liberation Theology thread. Specifically, examine the Fundamentalism and the Modern World and Jesus contra U.S. Militarism threads.The rest of the posts, I expect, will support an intelligent, creative, responsible and deeply peace and justice focus approach to reading Scripture and embracing Christianity.
jrovira

heh...

Unread post

Ah, nothing like a good ole' King James Only Christian to really get things going :).There's no single "Christian" answer to the question of free will, I hope you all know -- this is debated. You should probably read Luther's On the Bondage of the Will, a response to Erasmus' articulation of the existence of free will, one that was pretty consonant with Catholic theology at the time (to my knowledge). Denial of free will in Christians ultimately comes from Augustinian readings of Scripture, which were recovered by Luther and Calvin during the reformation.But there are other Christian positions. It should be noted that Christian theologians have been debating just this topic for centuries, literally -- to think a silly little syllogism is going to resolve the question is to be ignorant of the western intellectual tradition about this topic.One alternative was proposed by Anselm, I think. He argued that since eternity exists outside of time, God doesn't "see the future" in the same sense we would. it's not fortelling at all. Rather, we should understand God as seeing all of time from the vantage point of an eternal present.A good visual image for this is to understand time as a line drawn on a chalkboard, and God as the chalkboard. While to someone living on the line parts of it are behind and parts ahead, to the chalkboard all is equally present at once.So while the idea of God "knowing the future" may cause some problems with the idea of free will, it's not necessarily problematic for God to know what's happening now, understanding that past, present, and future are all "now" to God.This was one response from well over 1000 years ago to the debates about free will. Nothing said here is new, nor original, nor anything that Christian thinkers haven't considered before. Jim
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

An open letter to Rev Nathaniel P. RobbinsDear Rev RobbinsI consider myself to be a decent, honest, hard-working person. I have been happily married to my wife for nearly 20 years. I have never been unfaithful to her, nor will I be. I am law-abiding, and I would not willingly hurt anyone, or harm any animal (I certainly wouldn't shoot them). I think I know the difference between right and wrong.Am I wrong to think of myself as a good person if I don't happen to believe in your God? As a humanist I accept that everyone has a place in the universe and on that basis they are worthy of respect. I agree that everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want, however absurd the rational basis for that belief might be. It is a shame that that when you say things like Quote:I get angry whenever I think of nonchristians. That respect does not seem to be reciprocated. You talk about what you call the "truth" in the bible. But to say that the bible contains the whole "truth" is to corrupt the English language. There is indeed an absolute truth and I think that some aspects of that truth are knowable some are definitely not. To subscribe to a belief system, which is literally "off the shelf" you are making a huge number of assumptions about truth
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think our new friend is done with BookTalk. Check out this other forum where he seems to have become a member. I think this freak joins communities in order to market his own. Seriously, check out the link I provided...and read that thread. Funny stuff.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
ecstian

Unread post

LOL Chris,Those posts are pretty hilarious! I wonder where his next stop will be?Eric
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Troll

Unread post

He is pretty funny, but I think he is also a fake. He claims to believe in a flat earth and he claims that English is God's chosen language because the KJV 1611 is perfect.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”