• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ken Hemingway of Oak Park, IL

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ken Hemingway

Ken Hemingway of Oak Park, IL

Unread post

I currently develop software but in the past I have done school teaching (briefly) , university lecturing (Economics
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Ken Hemingway of Oak Park, IL

Unread post

An honour to have you aboard Sir!Welcome!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

KenYou've got such a similar personal worldview to mine that I think you might be my clone! I'm happy to see you've found BookTalk and are giving us some of your time. Stick around. I think you'll find the people here as close to what you're seeking as you can expect to find in any one place. And if your schedule permits please come to some of the Thursday night chat sessions. Some days the chat room is full, and other days we have only a few in attendence. But no matter what we usually have some great casual conversations and debates.Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/27/04 6:24 pm
Doc Tiessen

Unread post

Ken:can you expand a bit on what you mean by:I love living... Diversity is Good!
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

Doc: Do you understand what people mean when they talk about being filled with the joy of life? Spring mornings often seem to evoke this feeling in people, or clear starry nights. I'm talking about learning to live in such a way that you experience this feeling most of the time! Is that possible? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure some people are a lot closer to it than others, and I am also convinced that the right kind of conscious effort can move you along the spectrum.
marti1900

Unread post

I like what you say, Ken.My personal philosophy is Zen-like: Don't dwell and get on with it.I love life, too, and like to surround myself with others who feel the same. I love intellectual stimulation and discussion. Too much meditation in my view leads to too much belly button lint picking. Raise your head, grab the world by the wachimacallets and have fun. I believe if you are not having fun in this life, you are not doing it right.My maxims to live by: - Life's too short to ______(fill in the blank) - It's only money...the banks have plenty of itNice to meet you.Marti in Mexico
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

KenQuote:...I don't know, but I'm pretty sure some people are a lot closer to it than others, and I am also convinced that the right kind of conscious effort can move you along the spectrum.Oh, definitely. Some people seem to live their lives on autopilot, never really paying attention to life as it whizzes by. Before they know it it's over and they're scratching their heads wondering what happened. I agree that being consciously aware and living life to it's fullest is the only way to maximize your personal happiness and enjoyment of life.Did something happen to give you such an appreciation for life? Sometimes it takes a brush with death.Chris
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

Chris wrote: Did something happen to give you such an appreciation for life? Sometimes it takes a brush with death.First, Chris, I want to say that I was sad to hear about the sickness in your family. I find it hard to offer comfort to people who are facing the imminent death of someone close to them
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

KenQuote:So I will simply say that I know that there are a lot of people who visit this community who have you in their thoughts and wish they could think of ways to support you during a difficult time.Wow, thank you very much. Things have been rough lately. One of the two people I had mentioned thought for months that she had cancer, but when finally tested she was found to be healthy and cancer-free. The waiting was horrific. My mother died of cancer, and the person I've been referring to is my girlfriend and future wife. To think I was going to have to live through what my father experienced was really scary. And the thought of her having to face death at such an early age was rather nightmarish.Then there is my father. I was there in the doctor's office a few weeks ago when he was told he has terminal cancer. At 65 he is too young for this, but Mother Nature cares not for these things. So I've been dealing with all sorts of things lately, and I appreciate your kind words.Quote:So it behooves us to figure out how to live well.There is no inherent meaning to life, so it is up to each and every one of us to assign our own meaning to our own lives. We all have to figure out how best to live our lives.I love all 3 of your bullet-points. It's 3am so I'm not going to type any more right now. Actually, I have to get in the car and go pickup my girlfriend from the airport. A weekend trip to PA turned into a nightmare. Flight delays exceeding 7 hours on the way up, and 4 hours on the way back to FL. Oh, and they lost her luggage. If you can avoid flying Air Tran Airways I recommend you do so.Chris

Return to “Everything Else”