• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Keeping track of the voting

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Avi Seldom

Keeping track of the voting

Unread post

In reply to Mad's last post in the now closed official poll thread I want to suggest a new voting method and open this thread so you can do the same, lets take for example the books of the official thread starting with 0 votes each and I have to distribute my 3 votes:The general rule is (option current_total + my_votes = new_total)Keep 0 + 0 = 0MK's Daughter 0 + 0 = 0Dunes 0 + 3 = 3Thats my suggestion, make yours so we can avoid errors in the count. Edited by: Avi Seldom at: 10/31/06 12:40 pm
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Keeping track of the voting

Unread post

Sounds good to me. We should maybe also NOT put any comments in the voting replies. Just votes.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Or maybe just make a strong distinction between the votes and the comments. Always put the votes at the top of the message so that they're easy to find, and seperate them from the comments by several lines. I'd like to retain the ability to use the voting threads as a place for last minute campaigning.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thats fine. I was mainly thinking along the lines of separate replies for votes and comments. I was not trying to stifle discussion.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, we need to be able to discuss and sell each other on our book choices. The winning book is supposed to be the focus of discussion, so a conversation about the reasons why each person picked whatever they picked makes sense.
Avi Seldom

Unread post

I think we all agree in that aspect, so... will you suggest a voting system, do you like the actual one, do you like the alternative suggested?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

We've experimented over the years and I think our current system is pretty good. We don't want to make it overly complicated. Asking each voter to put their votes in some special format is going to lead to all sorts of problems. Our current system is complicated enough for many members.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:Our current system is complicated enough for many members. Which is kinda sad, considering we like to think of ourselves as an intellectual community! Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Avi Seldom

Unread post

We've experimented over the years and I think our current system is pretty good. We don't want to make it overly complicated. Asking each voter to put their votes in some special format is going to lead to all sorts of problems. Our current system is complicated enough for many members.Hmm, correct me if I haven't understood it but I started this thread because of the following Mad commentary:Maybe we should come up with some sort of system for keeping track of the voting, so that we don't in the future accidentally declare the wrong book the winner.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”