• In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Jury Duty

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Jury Duty

Unread post

I have just recently been required to register for federal jury duty. Has anyone been chosen for this duty?, What was it like?.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Jury Duty

Unread post

Never had the privilege of serving on a jury, though I have been called several times; always turned down (I am a lawyer), though I have tried cases before a jury. Not sure about the registration; in Texas they usually use the voter registration records for the jury pool. Unlike watching Perry Mason or Matlock; most jury duty is rather boring, as you rarely get a murder case. But sometimes it can be interesting, depends on the subject of the trial. Let us know if you get picked to serve.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I have been called up for both local (county) and state (Grand jury) cases. Fortunately there were no cases the day I did the local call-up and my relation to a law enforcement officer recused me from the state case. Bring a book you will sit for hours.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I served on local jury duty three times. The first time I was called I REALLY did not want to go; I was picked and once I got in there something psychological kicked in. A sense of civil duty, maybe :). I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and thought that I could be of benefit to either or both parties. I found it interesting and would do it again.
Yes, a lot of sitting and waiting - hated that part.

Return to “Everything Else”