• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Jumping into the soup!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Graydon Wilson

Jumping into the soup!

Unread post

I stumbled across this website via Craig's List. I've looked in and it seems interesting, so I thought I'd follow the lead of so many others and ramble on a bit about myself.I'm originally from New Orleans but live in Vermont these days, after a twelve-year stint in Houston. I'm a lawyer, but stopped practicing when I moved up here. One of my greatest fears about ever moving again is the string of over-burdened bookcases that line the walls at home.There are presently seven books on the nightstand next to my bed, about average, I suppose. One is a Bible, which I'm reading simply because I'd like to be better able to understand some of the paintings I so much enjoy when I visit art museums. I find this particular Bible unsatisfactory, by the way, because it's a Protestant Bible, when most of the old masters drew upon their Catholic faith. Another is Dante's Inferno, having read two other translations already and mostly enjoy seeing the broad variations in the translations. Perhaps I shall one day obey Longfellow's admonition and learn Italian. A third is Under a Hoo-Doo Moon, an assisted autobiography of Dr. John; a fourth is 1 Dead in Attic, by Chris Rose; a fifth is Atonement, by Ian McEwan; and a sixth is Secrets of the Flesh, a biography of Collette. Rounding out the pile is a how-to photography training manual.On a trip down to New Orleans last week, one of the places I stopped into was the Maple Leaf Book Shop --- and walked out about $120 lighter. And I've re-visited the shop's website since returning, picking up some additional books. I got pitched out of bed a couple nights ago because I was reading and had the light on. So, as you might surmise, a books-oriented website is a natural for me.However, inasmuch as I don't get nearly as much time to read as I would like, and also because I am a slower reader than I'd prefer to be the case, I may not be much of a contributor here. Of the 26 books up for discussion right now, I've read only five (some, like Future Shock, long ago) and have heard of only a few others.Nonetheless, I look forward to y'all's comments.
riverc0il
Senior

Re: Jumping into the soup!

Unread post

Welcome! Where abouts in VT do you hail from? I live in St. Johnsbury, but only recently moved here from the Boston, MA area.Fear not about the book discussions, only the two most recent discussions, one fiction and one non-fiction, are being actively participated in. The other book threads are there mainly for historical purposes or if new members want to read the older books and comment on them. The BookTalk Community only discusses one fiction and one non-fiction book per quarter. I average about two books a month, so the pace of BookTalk's readings is actually a little slow for my preferences, but sounds like it would fit your reading schedule nicely! Enjoy.
Graydon Wilson

Unread post

Hi, Steve. Glad to hear from you.I'm in Burlington. Don't get down to St., J. very much, usually only when I'm driving through to Maine. Inasmuch as you're running a bookstore, I may yet run into you. Which one are you at?And thanks, also, for the explanation about the book discussions. So all the books shown are simply those that have been included from the beginning. That makes it a little less intimidating. Heck, I might actually manage to get one read in three months' time.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

GraydonWelcome to BookTalk! Yes, Riverc0il is right. Those books are all of the ones we've read and discussed since the beginning of our existence back in 2002. We're only working on one fiction and one nonfiction at the time. In the next few weeks we'll be picking our two selections for Q3, 2006, so you've joined at a good time. Our only rule for participating on the book polls is that you have at least 10 total posts on the message boards. This keeps hit-n-run people from influencing the direction of the community.Chris
Graydon Wilson

Unread post

When do announcents occur for the next approaching quarter? If they're not made 'til the quarter begins, it's entirely possible that the quarter could pass before the book is finished (I've been known to take as long as a year or more to wade through a book).
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

We should have our next books selected an entire month before the next quarter begins. Our polls stay up for a full 10 days, so this means our next polls need to be up before May 20th.
Graydon Wilson

Unread post

Thanks!And congratulations on all the recognition from the First Baptist Church and from the Our lady of Martyrs.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I like the new signs!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Quote:I'm in Burlington. Don't get down to St., J. very much, usually only when I'm driving through to Maine. Inasmuch as you're running a bookstore, I may yet run into you. Which one are you at?Understandable, the drive across the state via Route 2 is a drag between Montpelier and StJ. I visit Burlington once or twice a month, usually for Sunday Night Mass at Metronome (a club for those not from the area, as opposed to a religious service ). I manage the Bookstore at Lyndon State College.

Return to “Everything Else”