• In total there are 43 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

John Cheever

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

John Cheever

Unread post

Anyone ever read any Cheever? I read "The Swimmer" during my last 'bout' of college and was taken by his style. I picked up a collection of his shorts a few years ago and liked what I read.His is a sarcastic poke at life, which is also on the money IMO, and I just love it.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
riverc0il
Senior

Re: John Cheever

Unread post

i had a feminist nut in high school english class that loved cheever and had us read some of his work. she completely turned me off to everything she taught. i even questioned my enjoyment of thoreau after that class! i am not sure if i disliked cheever or disliked cheever because of that class, heh.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Didn't Cheever write "Short Cuts"? I recall liking that, but I have a tendency to confuse the stories in that collection with the vignettes in Robert Altman's movie version of the book.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

"Short Cuts" was based on Raymond Carver's stories. Another good short story writer IMO.RivercOil: i had a feminist nut...Wow. What do you have against women you chauvanist pig?: PMr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 6/27/06 10:57 am
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

i am actually very supportive of the feminist cause in general. i am not supportive of what i term "feminist nuts." interestingly enough, most of the feminist movement is really similar to the major points of current progressive thought. it is the nuts case male haters that bug me. they really are nuts
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Totally unrelated, but I recently devised a drink called the "Manhater". It's 3 parts tequila to 1 part sweet vermouth with a cherry garnish. The "Man-" part is because it's based on the recipe for a Manhatten. Try one tonight and let me know tomorrow if you can figure out the "-hater" part.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”