Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
"Jazz" thread 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Silver Contributor

Post Re: "Jazz" thread
Quote:
youkrts:
here's an old fave of mine from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdGCqZTres

I was going to link to that particular song but was not sure how well it would go over, I'm glad you did and interested that you're familiar with the album.
Setting in a fruit crate, nestled in the corner of my bed room is "The Inner Mounting Flame" on vinyl, The stamp from the used record store I bought it from is dated march 2 1983, The guy who taught me to play drums wanted me to hear Billy Cobham; The Mahavishnu Orchestra isn't a group one here's very many people mention anymore. Included along with the album was a verse written by Sri Chinmoy Kumar Ghose.

ASPIRATION

Aspiration, in its simplest definition,
is a lovely flame climbing Heavenward.
True aspiration can and does make us feel that if God is for us,
who can stand against us?
We feel a desire to have God on our side. But we need
the aspiration to throw ourselves on Gods side.
The Sun is the only remedy for dark clouds in the sky.
Similarly, there is no other medicine than aspiration
for our troubled hearts.
Aspiration is the first rung of the sky-kissing ladder;
Realization is the last.
True human aspiration has three intimate friends;
Purification, Quietude and Intensity.
Aspiration has an enemy called impatience.
Aspiration is the mounting flame of our divine wish
to raise to the crest and crowning Divine Perfection.
The body aspires through action.
The vital aspires through struggles.
The mind aspires through self-search.
The heart aspires through the feeling of union.
The soul aspires through the perfection of Gods manifestation.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
LanDroid
Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:44 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

reminds me of "Affirmation" which i think is a Jose Feliciano tune that Benson covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PUB1ko1vOo

:-D

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:36 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Taylor wrote:

I was going to link to that particular song but was not sure how well it would go over, I'm glad you did and interested that you're familiar with the album.
Setting in a fruit crate, nestled in the corner of my bed room is "The Inner Mounting Flame" on vinyl, The stamp from the used record store I bought it from is dated march 2 1983, The guy who taught me to play drums wanted me to hear Billy Cobham; The Mahavishnu Orchestra isn't a group one here's very many people mention anymore.

I just ordered this album. Never heard of these guys, but the song posted sounded pretty good.

Do you play drums, Taylor?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:43 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Geo wrote:
I just ordered this album. Never heard of these guys, but the song posted sounded pretty good.

Do you play drums, Taylor?

Glad to here that you've gained a new musical experience Geo :) Youtube has loads of Mahavishnu music that is well worth checking out.

I don't have formal musical training so I play by ear but yes I have been playing drums for many years, though lately not any where near what I would like to be. I have a double bass set with 6 mounted toms and 2 floor toms, 5 cymbals and hi hat and snare. aquamarine in color, Tama drums, Zildjian brass, Ludwig ghost pedals and a cow bell.

I wanted to be a rock star and ended up a diesel mechanic. :)

youkrst
Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

:clap2: women and rhythm section first i say :clap2:

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Taylor wrote:

I don't have formal musical training so I play by ear but yes I have been playing drums for many years, though lately not any where near what I would like to be. I have a double bass set with 6 mounted toms and 2 floor toms, 5 cymbals and hi hat and snare. aquamarine in color, Tama drums, Zildjian brass, Ludwig ghost pedals and a cow bell.

I wanted to be a rock star and ended up a diesel mechanic. :)

That's a rockin' drum kit. 6 mounted toms? Holy crap! Some of them must be roto toms?

I believe Barriemore played double bass drums and probably many other drummers as well.

I have two kits: DDrums and some Yamaha Stage Customs. Both are very minimal setups though. The usual assortment of hi-hat, snare, ride, crash and only one mounted tom and one floor tom. Kind of bebop style. The Yamaha has an 18-inch bass drum and the DDrums's is 20-inch.

I play with a few guys in my neighborhood, but our bass player is a doctor and and the lead guitarist is on the road a lot so we don't play as much as I'd like to. My Yamaha kit is set up in the rhythm guitarist's basement. The DDrums are my kit for practicing at home.

The DDrums get no respect at all by most drummers, but I like it just fine. The Meinl ride cymbal here is fantastic. Note the sheet music for Time Out sitting on the tom. :-) I'm still working on it.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
youkrst
Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUWM9r7Irc
Hillbilly jazz by Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West with Cliffie Stone on bass from 1953.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llw6BNgWt1Y
I can actually sing and play the bass on this one which I do live occasionally. That's Jimmy Hughart on bass and the great Shelley Manne on drums which he is playing with his hands through most of the number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoEXGQoQV4
Don Byron & band do an excellent cover of a great Ellington piece.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
youkrst
Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:02 pm
Profile Email
Genuinely Genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQHsO6N7NU
And speaking of a great Ellington piece (co-written by Irving Mills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFVTWEVhxY8
Monk demonstrates the beautifully complex simplicity of jazz.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
youkrst
Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:10 pm
Profile Email
Reading Addict

I'll get in on this Jazz thread. One of my favorite guitar legends is Barney Kessel:

One thing I want to get around to doing is taking advanced lessons and playing Kessel until I have it wired. I'm improve and self taught, but his work goes beyond what I can piece together by ear.

https://www.ex-christian.net/

The following user would like to thank tat tvam asi for this post:
DB Roy, youkrst
Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24 am
Profile Email
Genius

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Geo wrote:
That's a rockin' drum kit. 6 mounted toms? Holy crap! Some of them must be roto toms?

No roto toms, The two smallest are really just 7 and 8 inch bongos I've mounted on a symbol stand over my hi hat.
I called them toms because in my mind that's what I've used them for, I found that they tune well and provide a nice accoutrement
to the overall set.

Quote:
I believe Barriemore played double bass drums and probably many other drummers as well.

You're correct, many drum players used a double bass set, Barriemore Barlow, I like it, we've come back to Tull :)
Interestingly it was Louie Bellson who is credited with pioneering the use of two bass drums, Bellson was married to Pearl Bailey. (got to love the wiki)
It was the jazz guys that influenced early rockers like Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Carmine Appice who eventually influenced me.

When I bought my set, (I've had for 32 years) It was originally a single kicker, I special ordered from the Tama factory a second kicker,
At purchase my set was a discontinued line. It took about six months to take delivery, but they managed very well to match colors,
the tom hardware on the newer accent kicker is different in that it has some squarer lines rather than the more rounded lines of the original.
During that six month duration I spent the time learning the basic's. also during this time I used a stack of pails for a throne as I did not have the money yet for a proper seat. :)
My kickers are 22 inch, for rockers I think there is a preference for 24 inch bass's. John Bonham if I am recalling correctly used a single 28 incher.

Double sets were still very much in style through the eighties by the nineties however this began to change somewhat, What I noticed was drummers and their extended solo's were sort of becoming marginalized. Particularly with the rise of grunge, for what ever reasons the rhythm section was down played, Metal acts seem the holdouts but even that genres has a limited audience today.
My playing anymore consists of myself picking a time of day during the week when I don't think I'll disturb my neighbor's, I'll sit down behind the drums and do some tuning and then start with something soft/slow, perhaps a blues beat or some hi hat work (in which case its my impression of a jazz count) and just let what comes out happen, an hour or so later when I'm sufficiently soaked in sweat because I have cycled through what to me are dynamics, I set my sticks down, for then I am played.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

:welcome:

FIRST listen to the original composition:

Welcome by John Coltrane 1965

NOW listen to this interpretation for goosebumps:

Welcome by Santana 1973

So much creativity & beauty - life is good! :appl:

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:26 am
Genius

Silver Contributor

Sitting here thinking about it:

When I first got into playing I was not alone, a school mate wanted to get into music as well. Through friends who were in established bands we picked up a Rickenbacker bass guitar ala Geddy Lee, two cabinets, one with eight, ten inch speakers, one with two fifteen inch speakers an ashly preamp and ampeg amp, what a set-up, it was a tower of sound.
Together we built a rehearsal room in his mothers garage, for weeks we gathered old news papers from around the neighborhood, inside the garage we filled two outside walls with the gathered papers boarded them up, next we built two walls adjoining those walls also stuffed with old news, a total of eight inch's of sound guard that had a four inch gap. For the final two walls we constructed double thick, eight inch's, also stuffed with old news, For the ceiling we layered news papers inside paper grocery bags in between rafters, inside the room, walls had carpeting, egg cartons, posters and what not, we wired for sufficient electrical needs and boom a rehearsal studio was born. Let me tell you we played loud and late in the night, our suburban neighbors had no clue it was that quiet outside the garage. That studio as it were, was a potential inferno. The down side was that it became to much of a hang-out, too many drugs never enough girls, (we did not possess the talent that attracts groupies). There was this kid (we were all kids) Karl who was born deaf, I remember once while we were rehearsing Karl came by to hang out, I don't read sign language, but having grown up with Karl I kind of was able to converse, not easy for either of us, anyway what we did not have yet was a singer for the band and Karl in his immutable way volunteered for the position, it was his way of making a joke and to this day it cracks me up. Something interesting was Karl explaining how he could feel the music we were playing, he always new when we f'ed up or played a piece differently.

youkrst
Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:50 am
Profile Email
Genuinely Genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJReiCaPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTqVHEJZ0A

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:07 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

LanDroid wrote:
So much creativity & beauty - life is good!

affirmative :-D

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:30 pm
Profile Email
Genuinely Genius

My bass guitars:

1977 Fender P-bass. Bought it brand new for $500! I've seen new ones as high as $2200! These 70s P-basses are in demand because they used heavier wood then and it gave the bass a huge, deep sound and infinite sustain if you wanted it. If not, just knock it back with compression.

Schecter Stiletto Studio Model 5 Fretless. Excellent bass, first one I owned with active pickups. Handles like a dream, almost plays itself. Amazing price. Bought in '04 for $600 brand new! Another guy was trying to sell me an American-made Lakland of the same type for $3000! So pretty that sometimes I take it out of the case and just look at it from various angles for 10 or 20 minutes--just look at it, turning it over and over again in my hands. Work of art.

Yamaha TRB 6-string. I bought this one used for only $1000!! The guy I bought it from is a fabulous bassist who knows his craft and he did some subtle work on the frets. I call this a semi-fretless bass because he sanded them down until they are almost not there. It has a smooth sound of a fretless but gives you the precise intonation of a fretted. The thing about 6-string basses that most people don't realize is that they can and should be played like regular guitars. You can strum them and play full chords and they sound beautiful. My double bass instructor plays bossa nova on his 6-string and it's amazing. He's a one-man band on that thing! He taught me the usefulness of strumming chords on the bass. I do it on all my basses but the 6-string is the most versatile.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:32 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next