• In total there are 58 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"Jazz" thread

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: "Jazz" thread

Unread post

youkrts:
here's an old fave of mine from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdGCqZTres
I was going to link to that particular song but was not sure how well it would go over, I'm glad you did and interested that you're familiar with the album.
Setting in a fruit crate, nestled in the corner of my bed room is "The Inner Mounting Flame" on vinyl, The stamp from the used record store I bought it from is dated march 2 1983, The guy who taught me to play drums wanted me to hear Billy Cobham; The Mahavishnu Orchestra isn't a group one here's very many people mention anymore. Included along with the album was a verse written by Sri Chinmoy Kumar Ghose.

ASPIRATION

Aspiration, in its simplest definition,
is a lovely flame climbing Heavenward.
True aspiration can and does make us feel that if God is for us,
who can stand against us?
We feel a desire to have God on our side. But we need
the aspiration to throw ourselves on Gods side.
The Sun is the only remedy for dark clouds in the sky.
Similarly, there is no other medicine than aspiration
for our troubled hearts.
Aspiration is the first rung of the sky-kissing ladder;
Realization is the last.
True human aspiration has three intimate friends;
Purification, Quietude and Intensity.
Aspiration has an enemy called impatience.
Aspiration is the mounting flame of our divine wish
to raise to the crest and crowning Divine Perfection.
The body aspires through action.
The vital aspires through struggles.
The mind aspires through self-search.
The heart aspires through the feeling of union.
The soul aspires through the perfection of Gods manifestation.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

reminds me of "Affirmation" which i think is a Jose Feliciano tune that Benson covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PUB1ko1vOo

:-D
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor wrote:
I was going to link to that particular song but was not sure how well it would go over, I'm glad you did and interested that you're familiar with the album.
Setting in a fruit crate, nestled in the corner of my bed room is "The Inner Mounting Flame" on vinyl, The stamp from the used record store I bought it from is dated march 2 1983, The guy who taught me to play drums wanted me to hear Billy Cobham; The Mahavishnu Orchestra isn't a group one here's very many people mention anymore.
I just ordered this album. Never heard of these guys, but the song posted sounded pretty good.

Do you play drums, Taylor?
-Geo
Question everything
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Geo wrote:
I just ordered this album. Never heard of these guys, but the song posted sounded pretty good.

Do you play drums, Taylor?
Glad to here that you've gained a new musical experience Geo :) Youtube has loads of Mahavishnu music that is well worth checking out.

I don't have formal musical training so I play by ear but yes I have been playing drums for many years, though lately not any where near what I would like to be. I have a double bass set with 6 mounted toms and 2 floor toms, 5 cymbals and hi hat and snare. aquamarine in color, Tama drums, Zildjian brass, Ludwig ghost pedals and a cow bell.

I wanted to be a rock star and ended up a diesel mechanic. :)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:clap2: women and rhythm section first i say :clap2:
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor wrote:
I don't have formal musical training so I play by ear but yes I have been playing drums for many years, though lately not any where near what I would like to be. I have a double bass set with 6 mounted toms and 2 floor toms, 5 cymbals and hi hat and snare. aquamarine in color, Tama drums, Zildjian brass, Ludwig ghost pedals and a cow bell.

I wanted to be a rock star and ended up a diesel mechanic. :)
That's a rockin' drum kit. 6 mounted toms? Holy crap! Some of them must be roto toms?

I believe Barriemore played double bass drums and probably many other drummers as well.

I have two kits: DDrums and some Yamaha Stage Customs. Both are very minimal setups though. The usual assortment of hi-hat, snare, ride, crash and only one mounted tom and one floor tom. Kind of bebop style. The Yamaha has an 18-inch bass drum and the DDrums's is 20-inch.

I play with a few guys in my neighborhood, but our bass player is a doctor and and the lead guitarist is on the road a lot so we don't play as much as I'd like to. My Yamaha kit is set up in the rhythm guitarist's basement. The DDrums are my kit for practicing at home.

The DDrums get no respect at all by most drummers, but I like it just fine. The Meinl ride cymbal here is fantastic. Note the sheet music for Time Out sitting on the tom. :-) I'm still working on it.

-Geo
Question everything
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUWM9r7Irc
Hillbilly jazz by Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West with Cliffie Stone on bass from 1953.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llw6BNgWt1Y
I can actually sing and play the bass on this one which I do live occasionally. That's Jimmy Hughart on bass and the great Shelley Manne on drums which he is playing with his hands through most of the number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoEXGQoQV4
Don Byron & band do an excellent cover of a great Ellington piece.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQHsO6N7NU
And speaking of a great Ellington piece (co-written by Irving Mills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFVTWEVhxY8
Monk demonstrates the beautifully complex simplicity of jazz.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

I'll get in on this Jazz thread. One of my favorite guitar legends is Barney Kessel:

One thing I want to get around to doing is taking advanced lessons and playing Kessel until I have it wired. I'm improve and self taught, but his work goes beyond what I can piece together by ear.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Geo wrote:
That's a rockin' drum kit. 6 mounted toms? Holy crap! Some of them must be roto toms?
No roto toms, The two smallest are really just 7 and 8 inch bongos I've mounted on a symbol stand over my hi hat.
I called them toms because in my mind that's what I've used them for, I found that they tune well and provide a nice accoutrement
to the overall set.

I believe Barriemore played double bass drums and probably many other drummers as well.
You're correct, many drum players used a double bass set, Barriemore Barlow, I like it, we've come back to Tull :)
Interestingly it was Louie Bellson who is credited with pioneering the use of two bass drums, Bellson was married to Pearl Bailey. (got to love the wiki)
It was the jazz guys that influenced early rockers like Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Carmine Appice who eventually influenced me.

When I bought my set, (I've had for 32 years) It was originally a single kicker, I special ordered from the Tama factory a second kicker,
At purchase my set was a discontinued line. It took about six months to take delivery, but they managed very well to match colors,
the tom hardware on the newer accent kicker is different in that it has some squarer lines rather than the more rounded lines of the original.
During that six month duration I spent the time learning the basic's. also during this time I used a stack of pails for a throne as I did not have the money yet for a proper seat. :)
My kickers are 22 inch, for rockers I think there is a preference for 24 inch bass's. John Bonham if I am recalling correctly used a single 28 incher.

Double sets were still very much in style through the eighties by the nineties however this began to change somewhat, What I noticed was drummers and their extended solo's were sort of becoming marginalized. Particularly with the rise of grunge, for what ever reasons the rhythm section was down played, Metal acts seem the holdouts but even that genres has a limited audience today.
My playing anymore consists of myself picking a time of day during the week when I don't think I'll disturb my neighbor's, I'll sit down behind the drums and do some tuning and then start with something soft/slow, perhaps a blues beat or some hi hat work (in which case its my impression of a jazz count) and just let what comes out happen, an hour or so later when I'm sufficiently soaked in sweat because I have cycled through what to me are dynamics, I set my sticks down, for then I am played.

Return to “Everything Else”