• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

God claims to be the epitome of all attributes and command that we place no one above him for any of them.

We are not to see or name anyone as more moral, more loving, more just, more compassionate or more of any other attributes we can name. Fewer scriptures talk of his great jealousy, greed or wrath but they and other evil attributes are all there.

Believers will know that since in the beginning there was only God, then all that is must have emanated from God as the only possible source of anything and everything.

All good, all evil and all in between must then have been born from the essence of God.

If all good and evil come from God and he loves himself as well as his neighbors, not that he could have any, then God must love both his good side and his evil side.

Is that why God does not rid this world of evil? Because God loves evil?

Does God also gain pleasure from evil as this quote indicates?

Revelation 4:11 (KJV)
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Regards
DL
ManofEcstasy
Getting Comfortable

Re: Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Unread post

Epitome of evil? Yes. Of good? No.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

ManofEcstasy wrote:Epitome of evil? Yes. Of good? No.
If God is as written up in scriptures, then you show good discernment and judgement.

Any good God who wanted relevance to man would pop up.

Regards
DL
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Any good God who wanted relevance to man would pop up.
Do you mean in the way the Goddess and demiurge pop up?
Of course Christianity holds that God became incarnate, or does that not qualify as popping up?
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

God claims to be the epitome of all attributes and command that we place no one above him for any of them.

We are not to see or name anyone as more moral, more loving, more just, more compassionate or more of any other attributes we can name. Fewer scriptures talk of his great jealousy, greed or wrath but they and other evil attributes are all there.

Believers will know that since in the beginning there was only God, then all that is must have emanated from God as the only possible source of anything and everything.

All good, all evil and all in between must then have been born from the essence of God.

If all good and evil come from God and he loves himself as well as his neighbors, not that he could have any, then God must love both his good side and his evil side.

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Regards
DL
I don't know about being the epitome of both good and evil, but as he is written in the Bible he's contradictory. Between the Old and the New Testaments he either amends or does away with the kosher laws, changes his stance on how to discipline children, and even seems to lighten up on his sexism towards women. I don't know why he's this way, but he is.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Any good God who wanted relevance to man would pop up.
Do you mean in the way the Goddess and demiurge pop up?
Of course Christianity holds that God became incarnate, or does that not qualify as popping up?
Gnostic Christian know that the only God fit for man is a man and that we have invented all of our Gods.

The notion that your God condemned man and then turned around and became a man just to die to repeal that sentence is too stupid for words.

Especially when the sacrifice did not stay dead.

But you go ahead and take the satanic moral position and try to profit from injustice. That is the Christian way.

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Jesus said to pick up your cross and follow him but I see that you have taken the line that someone else should pay your dues. Quite manly and moral that. Not.

Do you really think someone else can pay your dues and allow you to shirk your just reward?

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) “Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20 (ESV) The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

The declaration which says that God visits the sins of the fathers upon the children is contrary to every principle of moral justice. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

As above so below.

If you had God's power, would you not be able to find a way that does not go against the wisdom of Jesus and the bible?

Perhaps like being man enough to step up to your own demands for a worthy sacrifice?

That is what a good God would do.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Regards
DL
I don't know about being the epitome of both good and evil, but as he is written in the Bible he's contradictory. Between the Old and the New Testaments he either amends or does away with the kosher laws, changes his stance on how to discipline children, and even seems to lighten up on his sexism towards women. I don't know why he's this way, but he is.
Rome did take the O. T. genocidal tyrant and turned him into a softer gentler God for sure but I do not agree that Jesus was all that good to women. If you look at his no divorce policy you will see that it is not only immoral it is also anti-love as it forced people to stay married regardless of how bad the marriage is.

Here is a clip that shows other oddities in Jesus' policies.

As an aside, I do use some of what Jesus says when dealing with Christians as I explain my Gnostic Christian views and method of reaching apotheosis.

Here is what I use and what churches do not dare use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. It is to become more fully human.

Regards
DL
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Rome did take the O. T. genocidal tyrant and turned him into a softer gentler God for sure but I do not agree that Jesus was all that good to women. If you look at his no divorce policy you will see that it is not only immoral it is also anti-love as it forced people to stay married regardless of how bad the marriage is.
I'm not familiar with any passages attributing Jesus' teachings on women or marriage, but I recall the scripture with the adulteress, where he said, "He who is without sin cast the first stone." That alone seems like a decent attitude towards women, but I would like to see what you're getting at, if you have any scripure verses I can look up.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Honestly Bishop!
Banging on about how evil you think the God of the bible is.
Could it be that what really bothers you is that he is just and righteous and not evil?
It's must be nice to believe that you yourself are God. Nobody else thinks you are but what would they know?
What's this religion called,Narcissism?
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:Honestly Bishop!
Banging on about how evil you think the God of the bible is.
Could it be that what really bothers you is that he is just and righteous and not evil?
It's must be nice to believe that you yourself are God. Nobody else thinks you are but what would they know?
What's this religion called,Narcissism?
You've not refuted his arguments. He never said that he himself is God, didn't even come anywhere near that. Bishop has provided evidence based on the Bible itself to prove that the God characterized in the Bible is in fact more malign than benign; you come on here attacking the man as having a God complex. I'm sorry, but that's a logic fail.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”