• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Is anyone here not a hard core athiest

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Is anyone here not a hard core athiest

Unread post

From my experience on this board, the average BookTalker is open to discussion and alternate ideas, if the topic is raised in an open-minded, non-judgemental way. People only get 'flamed off the board' if their attitudes are narrow and prejudiced, and they don't respond well to the (relatively) gentle rebukes they get for first offences.What I like best about this 'place' is that on one thread, two members may be thick in a rather aggressive back'n'forth argument, but in another thread be happily chatting back'n'forth in utter agreement. Single-mindedness is not respected here. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Quote:If you were so firm in you're beliefs you'd have no problem referring to god as a "higher power" or "supreme being" rather then "fairy tale" or "make believe".But God isn't a higher power or supreme being. That is the point you're missing. God just isn't even there! God doesn't exist and never did and never will. The whole thing is one big manmade fairy tale. It is pure make-believe - exactly as misterpessimistic said.You think misterpessimistic is being childish, but I call him brutally honest. Your beliefs make no sense and he has the courage to refuse to accept them. That isn't childish. He is not calling your God names to incite you or to challenge your God. Your God isn't real. Your God is nothing more than your very childish dreams and fantasies. And it hurts to have someone point that out to you. Hey, I understand. I'd be hurt too, but after I wiped the tears from my eyes I'd rethink my "beliefs." It isn't misterpessimistics fault that grown adults believe in completely ludicrous imaginary superheros. It is YOUR fault if you believe. Respecting your completely irrational beliefs would be irrational itself. I respect your right to believe, but I do NOT respect your belief. Your belief could one day kill me as similar beliefs are killing thousands of people every day throughout the world. Belief in fake shit is wrong, unhealthy and quite frankly disgusting to me.Quote:If you were so firm in you're beliefs you'd have no problem referring to god as a "higher power" or "supreme being" rather then "fairy tale" or "make believe".This statement makes zero sense. This is like saying:Quote:If you were so firm in your belief that immaterial levitating gelatinous bullfrogs don't exist you would not feel inclined to refer to them as "complete bullshit" or "the imaginings of idiots." You would simply refer to them as "powerful and impressive amphibians." Your derogatory tone sehds light on your flimsy beliefs!Ummm no. This is some sort of logical error, but I'm not going to waste time trying to figure out where your thinking went wrong. More than likely you're committing a string of logical errors that have never even been documented. Immaterial gelatinous levitating bullfrogs are complete and utter bullshit and only an idiot would believe in something so ridiculous. Saying so doesn't lessen our reasoning skills. It makes us human beings that have emotions and we're spewing them out as we face wacked out beliefs. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/16/06 1:16 am
tomiichi

Unread post

I applaud thee, Mr. OConner! Nice argument. Quote:If you were so firm in you're beliefs you'd have no problem referring to god as a "higher power" or "supreme being" rather then "fairy tale" or "make believe".I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean or how it is supposed to support your argument. The entire reason we are atheist is because we believe God is "make believe" so why would we refer to him as a "supreme being". We don't BELIEVE that! That is what our entire argument is based upon, that he is NOT a "higher power". I have to reiterate what Chris said in that it's hard to respect theists beliefs because they create our wars, genocide, and hate. One day I could die due to one of these theists causes, and I don't appreciate that.You say we, atheists, should accept others beliefs. Well I say that we wouldn't care what other countries beliefs were as long as they didn't attack us. We do, however, care that our religious country that represents us is leading us into war, creating inhumane laws at home, and not respecting it's own non-believer citizens by continuing to keep church and state together as one. We have something to stand up for, and because of this, we find it hard to respect your "beliefs".
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Quote:The entire reason we are atheist is because we believe God is "make believe" so why would we refer to him as a "supreme being". We don't BELIEVE that! That is what our entire argument is based upon, that he is NOT a "higher power".This is about terminology not belief. And I'd like to mention the gross hypocracy going on here.You complain all the time about religeous people using absolutes and being dogmatic, thats what you're doing right now.Quote:But God isn't a higher power or supreme being. That is the point you're missing. God just isn't even there!Once again. God doesn't have to actually be there for you to refer to it as a diety rather then a super hero. Quote: God doesn't exist and never did and never will. The whole thing is one big manmade fairy tale. It is pure make-believe - exactly as misterpessimistic said.like I said more absolutes.Quote:You think misterpessimistic is being childish, but I call him brutally honest. Your beliefs make no sense and he has the courage to refuse to accept them. Which ones? Quote:That isn't childish. He is not calling your God names to incite you or to challenge your God. Your God isn't real. Your God is nothing more than your very childish dreams and fantasies. My god? Who says we're even talking about my god.He was talking about a god I don't believe in. He was talking about the Judeo Christain god. And I don't see how reffering to it as "santa clause" has any point accept to make theists overreact, so you can point you're finger and say "oh look at them they're being bad". This makes me think of terrorists attacking Israel to prompt counter attacks.Quote:And it hurts to have someone point that out to you. Hey, I understand. I'd be hurt too, but after I wiped the tears from my eyes I'd rethink my "beliefs." I've beeen rethinking my beliefs ever since I got here. At no point has anyone said anything significant to me to make me change anything I believe.IQuote:t isn't misterpessimistics fault that grown adults believe in completely ludicrous imaginary superheros. It is YOUR fault if you believe. It is his fault fo using weak arguments like. "its the same as believing in Super Man". Thats almost as bad as creationists saying "they think that monkeys fell out of trees and turned into humans".Quote:Respecting your completely irrational beliefs would be irrational itself. I respect your right to believe, but I do NOT respect your belief. Yeah and that's gonna irritate you till the day you die. People need to learn to let it go.Quote:Your belief could one day kill me as similar beliefs are killing thousands of people every day throughout the world. Belief in fake shit is wrong, unhealthy and quite frankly disgusting to me.Did you even read what I believe? Edited by: MaesterAuron151 at: 9/16/06 1:03 pm
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Quote:Take a spin through the older posts. There are posts on religion in there that would make your head spin.I'm looking but I'm not finding. The closest think to someone believeing in god is some guy who takes the "god's real but he's a douch bag" approach.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Nick- I love your abbreviated version of MaesterAuron! Oh man, you really crack me up sometimes!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

SHHH! I am trying to be sly about that...you cannot go pointing that out!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Ok I guess I've missed something.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

MAuron:In regard to the play on words, I guess that is fitting!!!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”