Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

Post Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
Dizzylady44 wrote:
I am scafred to death for this country and for what my Grandkids will be facing in their bright young futures.

I am curious what you find so scary?

Thu May 12, 2016 3:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

Post Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
Harry Marks wrote:
Taylor wrote:
This may well be an election tied exclusively to our perception of both the leading candidates VP's. A wrong choice by either candidate could possible sink their election.

Looks like Hillary is going for someone out of the standard political playbook, such as a Virginia Senator (or former Senator). You could look at that as playing into Trump's hand, or as putting another nail in his coffin, depending on how you read the polls.

Trump is in a worse condition, though, because he will likely have to choose from the political establishment which will turn off a lot of his supporters. But he can't choose another "outsider" like himself because that just comes across as unrealistic to the average voter who would likely feel that Trump's VP should be an experienced insider working in an advisory capacity to guide him through the minefields of Washington politics. Sure, it's all bullshit but two people with no experience in govt, no clout with Congress, trying to run all that machinery is a non-starter. But as soon as Trump picks his insider, there will be no joy in Mudville.

Fri May 13, 2016 11:02 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

DB Roy wrote:
But he can't choose another "outsider" like himself because that just comes across as unrealistic to the average voter who would likely feel that Trump's VP should be an experienced insider working in an advisory capacity to guide him through the minefields of Washington politics.

No matter how much people feel Trump stands for "people like me" and is unafraid of how he appears to the media, in the end they have to pull the lever on who will have their finger on the button. I shudder to think of people preferring Mr. Off-the-Wall, Speaks-His-Mind for that position.

Will it be Goldwater re-run or Reagan re-run? It distresses me to say I am not sure.

Fri May 13, 2016 11:25 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Well, now we've reached the point where almost no one, I'd wager, is torn. How can anyone be torn between such different figures as Clinton and Trump? Trump and almost anyone else would present the same lack of hard choice, so absurd is Trump's candidacy in the first place. Is this guy for real, most recently attacking the federal judge who is hearing the case over the defunct Trump University?

I suppose there is no glimmer of hope that the Republican convention can depose Trump as the nominee, but wouldn't it make great theatre if it did? Super Mitt to the rescue. I think there's a good chance that Trump won't just lose the election but will go down in flames. He might actually be incapable of running for president, I mean of really setting out an agenda and unifying the party behind him. With the nomination pretty much assured, what does he do?--he gratuitously attacks the female Hispanic governor of New Mexico and the "Mexican" judge hearing the suit against him. This is a man who can't control his need to settle scores when he imagines he has been denied the adulation that every narcissist craves. Impossible but scary to picture him occupying the Trump White House.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
Hi, my name is Corinna Montgomery. I'm the author of the book "Clipped Wings".
My book tells the story how live was in a country where you bin told by the government what you can do. I see people are desperate and scared, undecided what to do. The book is the biography of my family, how we tried to escape east Germany. In my opinion, America is the last country where you find freedom today so I pray it stay's that way. Please read my book.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:24 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I don't know exactly the posture of Trump about the US economy, what i know well is the racist fame that surrounds him, give power to the racist to destroy the peace, that's the only thing needed.

The following user would like to thank mighty13 for this post:
ant
Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:37 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hola! As an American in Mexico, I am sad to see anyone put down those outside of our country. This is not being patriotic to the U.S., I love the U.S. but have been working in Mexico tio appreciate a view outside of the U.S. as well, and it helps me gain perspective. I support the U.S. but do not want the U.S. to become a beacon for hatred, corruption, illegal activities, and putting down others to get ahead - if that makes sense? That lends itself to candidates running and of course, every country has to choose sometimes between worse and even worse candidates. Does this make sense? I felt Bernie was the less toxic and less experienced internationally at the same time, but I do not like the stereotypes that Trump applies to everyone outside of the U.S. which are untrue in the majority. Hilary's taking advantage of the system worries me, and yet one asks, does any politician become clean and free of all corruption? It is much harder to see that in this era, but outright hatred and spewing insults to promote your own country does not seem the path?

The following user would like to thank HarryB for this post:
mighty13
Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:57 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

mighty13 wrote:
I don't know exactly the posture of Trump about the US economy, what i know well is the racist fame that surrounds him, give power to the racist to destroy the peace, that's the only thing needed.

Im not a Trump supporter and am one of many concerned with a Trump presidency.

Having said that, am I understanding you here? You think he's a racist?
How so? Because he's mentioned controlling Muslim immigration until "we figure out" the threat of militant Islamic terrorism? Muslims are not a race you know, right?

You think it's racist of him to want to build a wall to secure the border? This has been discussed before by other presidents. Were tbey all racists? Is wanting improved border security rude and or racist? How so?

Have you seen any of the violence perpetrated by protesters holding the Mexican flag at rallies? Is that just patriotism?

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hola! Ant, also, I have to be more clear with my post. Let me rephrase how I stated that, I agree with your question and line of questioning. What I meant to say is I disagree with the racist attitudes that seems to result from his gatherings, speeches, etc.. Not necessarily from Trump, but I feel when the times have occurred that he has asked people to leave and it has humiliated people at his rallies, that is really what I see as wrong. I do understand his stance on a wall, it is just in my opinion not a good solution. Also, I do understand him wanting to make American great, I do agree with that rallying call, just not the way he is trying to do it, organize it, etc.. I do believe there has to be a better system of control to reduce the ISS events etc, but I am just afraid his approach is not the correct or best way to do it, forceful is one thing, but I hate to see the hatred that emanates at his rallies towards others, etc.. Sorry for the way I misstated that first post, it wasn't that clear :)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

no, no.

Lets not ignore the fact that Trump is indeed a bigot. And a sexist.

One of the first flubs he made (of the thousands that compose the entire content of his campaign) is saying that mexico only sends us their drug dealers and rapists... and maybe some of them are good people. This despite him having "all the best words".

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 am

Gold Contributor

You are very disjointed.

Mexico does little to secure its side of the border and there is plenty of illegal contraband and people with questionable backgrounds that come across by illegal means (tunnels and fence hoping).

You know next to nothing about this because you are so far away from the problem that it is a mere abstraction to you.
You're also a bleeding heart lib that uses propaganda to spread your falsehoods and hate speech.

It's not being "racist" to point out there's a problem.

Save your stupid little propaganda youtube vids for another audience.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

HarryB wrote:
Hola! Ant, also, I have to be more clear with my post. Let me rephrase how I stated that, I agree with your question and line of questioning. What I meant to say is I disagree with the racist attitudes that seems to result from his gatherings, speeches, etc.. Not necessarily from Trump, but I feel when the times have occurred that he has asked people to leave and it has humiliated people at his rallies, that is really what I see as wrong. I do understand his stance on a wall, it is just in my opinion not a good solution. Also, I do understand him wanting to make American great, I do agree with that rallying call, just not the way he is trying to do it, organize it, etc.. I do believe there has to be a better system of control to reduce the ISS events etc, but I am just afraid his approach is not the correct or best way to do it, forceful is one thing, but I hate to see the hatred that emanates at his rallies towards others, etc.. Sorry for the way I misstated that first post, it wasn't that clear :)

Yes - I also disagree with the racist attitudes of many (not all) Hispanics at rallys.
This is the fault of detestable liberalism that encourages the violence.
It is marxism dressed up to look differently.

Last edited by ant on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Here is a case of a liberal journalist encouraging violence at a Trump rally.

I guess Johnson supports this type of criminal behavior.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/03/media/v ... ump-riots/

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

And you might also think that purely by statistical analysis you would have been right about something at some point...
But that doesn't seem to be the case either!

Ant once again refuses to hear the screams of the piranha gnawed.

Ant is in favor of piranhas chewing faces to the bone!~

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Gold Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
And you might also think that purely by statistical analysis you would have been right about something at some point...
But that doesn't seem to be the case either!

Ant once again refuses to hear the screams of the piranha gnawed.

Ant is in favor of piranhas chewing faces to the bone!~

You sound as if you were trying to say something smart. you failed miserably.

So you condone the encouragement of violence at Trump rallies by Libtards, right?

The quickest way to expose a Lib's self righteous moralizing is to put them smack in the center of that which they champion and support from someplace distant.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:48 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next