• In total there are 8 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

Many of those Clinton emails were not classified when she sent them. They were classified "secret" LATER. I wonder who classified them later and for what purpose? And why was the ambassador there, when he and the other consulate personnel knew the dangers and the fact that the facility was not secure. He should not have gone there. It's partly our own political and international failure and naive belief that nothing bad can possibly happen to the US...
Congress voted down a bill to authorize money to strenghten the security for overseas consulate facilities. The security problems were partly our own fault.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

I'll wait to see who has better ideas for campaign finance reform. It's the causal nexus.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane, you might be interested in Lawrence Lessig. He has made money and democracy the sole priority of his campaign.

https://lessig2016.us/
Remember-me
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I met Rand Paul at a book signing at the United States Constitution Center in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. I liked the way he approached the issues and his solutions. Unfortunately he has no chance of winning. I believe the majority of the citizens of the United States are uninformed (the majority by choice) about current events, candidates and issues, If Trump is elected on the GOP ticket - it will simply come down to whether they want to vote for a woman or a TV star. I think Hillary is a criminal and should tried on criminal charges as an example of how one missed treats classified information in the United States. HOWEVER anyone running against Hillary Clinton or under influence of the Obama administration is appealing to me. Everyone does not seem to be nearly as upset as I am about the IRAN nuclear agreement. Russia is battling the ISIS. Putin make comments about the US couldn't even find them or wasn't even trying or making attempt. Now China has joined forces with them. China is the country that we of billions and billions of dollars to. Now we are going to make an IRAN deal that certainly looks like we're joining or taking sides with the Middle East. If Russia and China are joining forces against terrorism, does the US really want to stand with any deal with the Middle East? Anything involving Russia, China, USA and the Middle East sounds like the making of World War III to me. So we need somebody in the President's office ASAP. I want one that will back us out of the Iran deal and will fight ISIS. That does mean war but not on our soil!
Remember-me
Official Newbie!

Unread post

What about our "protection" for the ambassador who were not allowed to have bullets? That was the Secretary of State's decision. Has everyone forgotten about that?
Remember-me
Official Newbie!

Unread post

As far as campaign reform, I think one of the first things they should do is not allow the current politicians to use tax payer dollars to campaign for their next elections Furthermore the taxpayers dollars are paying these politicians for time spent on these campaign trails rather than being present in Washington DC doing their jobs.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Remember me wrote:As far as campaign reform, I think one of the first things they should do is not allow the current politicians to use tax payer dollars to campaign for their next elections Furthermore the taxpayers dollars are paying these politicians for time spent on these campaign trails rather than being present in Washington DC doing their jobs.
What are the alternatives?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I don't like Hillary, I don't like Trump (except on his show, he's good there). I like Rand Paul, but being one of those middle or disenfranchised people I could lean toward that neurosurgeon as well. I just feel blah about politics as usual anymore. We almost need another party to shake things up, but then there would be three groups trying to say the same thing differently lol.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Of course we totally obsess over who's going to be president, with our absurdly long campaign season magnifying the obsession. The only mildly positive thing that can be said for this 2-year marathon is that it provides economic stimulus.

How much does it matter, in proportion to the time and money spent to elect, which individual grabs the brass ring? Whoever it is quickly becomes overwhelmed by the inertia of the entrenched powers and the need to keep the party in power.

This go-round, it's interesting to see how much the distrust of experience has progressed, with both top Republicans being political virgins and dong better because of it.

I'd have to choose Trump over Carson if absolutely forced.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

A lot of people are not paying any attention to all this election "noise" right now. They will decide two weeks or one week before the voting day. I watched a street poll being taken by the news media (forget which one, I think it was CNN) and some people didn't even know who the candidates were - unbelievable!!!
I don't think that either Trump or Carson will be the Republican candidate. Can't really guess who it may be. Personally, I like Kasich. But the person whom I like never makes it. :)...

Return to “Current Events & History”