Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Introduction: Meet the Mormons 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Introduction: Meet the Mormons
Just ordered my copy. I'm looking forward to this discussion.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I started reading last night. Nice to see you joining this one Suzanne. So far 9 people have said they're going to participate so this might be a discussion in which to get the author involved.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Just downloaded the Kindle edition. Will probably start on it tomorrow.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I have now read the Introduction, and offer the following personal note:

About forty years ago, I loaded my wife and son into our car and went to Salt Lake City to work as a government (federal) attorney. I visited Temple Square, and saw the 'official' versions of how the LDS church came into being. I also met many Mormons, and some Jack-Mormons (an individual who came from a Mormon family, but did not follow the faith). I found them as individuals to be friendly, hard-working, and very intent on converting us. I did find some books that were less than favorable to the LDS church and its adhrents. I am sure much of this will be discussed later in the book.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile Email

Before I move on to Chapter 1, a couple more personal observations based on my time in "Zion" (Salt Lake City). Naturally the largest denomination were the Mormons, second were the Roman Catholics, and to my surprise, the third largest group was the Greek Orthodox Church.

Officially, Mormons do not smoke, or drink alcoholic beverages, or anything with caffeine (coffee, tea, even Coca-Cola). But they do love their sweets. For its size, I think Salt Lake City has more bakeries and cany stores than any city I have been lived in or visited.

One question before I move on. Has anyone besides Chris and myself had more than a possing connection with the Mormons? If so, please leave a post.

Last edited by Cattleman on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

when i think of mormons i cannot help but remember

Tal Bachman, son of Randy Bachman, Tal slipped the chains and made off a free man.

Orson Scott Card, i enjoyed reading "enders game" recently and cracked up when i looked up the author only to find he was a mormon in hot water over a position against gay marriage i think it was. Made me laugh to contrast the controversy with the fact that i had enjoyed the book completely oblivious to all the goings on.

Brandon Flowers, lead singer of the Killers, i just love their stuff!

it's funny how these three are just great fun whether they are mormons or not.

sort of reminds me of Mark Heard who was a fantastic wordsmith but nonetheless a christian.

though i think these guys would rock in whatever sub-culture they happened to spring up in.

you can't keep a good man down :D

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
Cattleman
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile Email

I knew Card is a Mormon, but not the others. In one of his novels, I think it is "Folk of the Fringe," Card has a group of Mormons 'moving west.' As this is a post-apocalyptic novel, I can't help wondering if this part was inspired by actual Mormon history.???

I remember also that the late Howard Hughes had a set of Mormon bodyguards; he supposedly liked the fact that they did not smoke of drink.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:49 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Religious opinions should be no more immune to discussion and criticism than scientific or political ones.

i like the cut of this writers jib already!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Quote:
But other Mormons secretly go through life under tremendous pressures: pressure to conform, pressure to get married in the Temple, pressure to have lots of children, pressure to be the perfect wife/husband/child, pressure to be straight, pressure to squelch doubts, pressure to devote all their free time to the church, pressure to uphold...

this reminds me of all the other "voices" out there that seek to dominate the individual

mormonism is one example of a class it seems

ideologies that seek to impose outward conformity, to make merchandise of the individual, to supercede the individuals right to sovereignity over themselves.

i hate seeing individuals "under pressure" like that, i'm glad for every one who makes it out alive.

Quote:
The simple fact that the LDS church, like every other religion on the planet, demands moral authority over any of us is more than enough reason to examine their claims about reality—and oppose them if they are wrong.

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
Cattleman, notepro
Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Came home from vacation today and my copy was waiting for me. I cannot wait to get started.

Thank you Cattleman for leading this discussion. I have enjoyed your comments.

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
Cattleman, Chris OConnor
Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Bronze Contributor 2

I had a classmate in business school who is Mormon. A great guy. We were room mates for our summer job. He's done very well for himself.

I also went to Temple Square when on a consulting assignment. I took the tour, which quickly moved onto my personal relationship with god. I ended it shortly afterwards!

The following user would like to thank ginof for this post:
Cattleman
Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 pm
Profile YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

I just finished reading the Introduction. So far, so good. The author seems a tiny bit snarky, but we'll see how that goes. Has anyone read up on Elizabeth Smart or any of the other girls who have been kidnapped and raped by Mormon men?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Am I okay to join in? I just finished the introduction

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile Email

Avidreader26; you bet it's okay to join in; the more the merrier. :)

linda d: Yes, the author does come across as a bit snarky, and maybe even a bit snarkier(?). I am up to Chapter 5 (Polygamy), and you will find some rather cynical statements. :wink:

Thanks to all who are participating; it looks like this is going to be a good group. :D

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next