• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Introducing Kate Fremont

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kate Fremont

Introducing Kate Fremont

Unread post

Hello,Booktalk sounds like an interesting website. I have read a couple of your past books, and have an interest in a couple more that you've covered.I might be selective as to which of your future selections I'll read, because I already have an extensive list of books I want to read, and I add to it quicker than I get around to crossing off those I've finished. Also, I have a strong preference for fiction, though now and then I like to get in some non-fic for variety. At present, for example, I'm reading Volume 1 of Blanche Wiesen Cook's Eleanor Roosevelt. I'm anticipating that with BookTalk I'll come across some books-for-thought that I wouldn't have discovered otherwise.Another interest I have in BookTalk is the possibility of finding a community. I am an atheist, and in my part of New Hampshire, it seems like that's almost considered worse than being a rapist or murderer. People I meet frequently inquire about my religion or what church I attend, and an honest response usually results in a chilly reception or an attempt to save my soul. It's good to find a group of people who are like-minded or tolerant. It's late in the evening now, so I'll keep this first post short. I'll be back.Kate Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/7/05 11:59 pm
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Audio books

Unread post

As a Canadian, we don't have your NPR, we've got the CBC. Good stuff, but no Car Talk, or Fresh Air. You say you like audio books -- have you discovered Audible.com? Lori
Kate Fremont

Re: Audio books

Unread post

I've visited Audible.com, but usually I get my books (paper-type and otherwise) from the library. Being a stay-at-home mom requires me to be budget-savvy. Come birthdays and other gift-occasions, however, I usually drop hints about books I'd like. Shopping in a bookstore is my adult equivalent of being a kid in a candy-shop. (Come to think of it, I'm still like a kid in a candy-shop, being as fond of chocolate as I am of books.) Car Talk is good, but my favorite on NPR is "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", don't know if you get that in Canada. It has a news events/comedy/game show format, and is one of the programs that gets me laughing out loud, sometimes even applauding!
Kate Fremont

Re: (Blogging) Antidote to stereotyping

Unread post

Here I'll take up Chris's offer to use "Member Intros & Journals" for blogging.I have been reading some forum entries under "Roundtable" and "Archives: Lying Liars & Demon Haunted World", as a way of getting to know some members of the BookTalk community.When I was a teenager in the 70's and saw how people were being judged by their hair length or skin color or sex, I vowed I would judge each and every person as an individual, without entertaining any preconceived notions.Three decades (!) have passed by. How have I held up to this ideal? I am a northern liberal democrat (educated but lower middle class economically, non-elitist) who has come to view Republicans as ignorant and/or greedy-selfish; and who has come to view Southerners as ignorant, racist, and/or willfully-blind Bible worshipers who believe the core American value of freedom of religion should be done away with if it is applied to anyone but themselves, willing to force their religious beliefs on others by law. (Whew, that's a "mouthful"!) The preceding is my gut feeling. My head tells me to beware of absolute statements and that even if a conclusion might be true of a majority, there must be plenty of exceptions. Problem is, in recent years my gut feelings have been dominant. I do not like this trend in myself.I'm reminded of a saying by Mark Twain in "Puddin' Head Wilson", herein paraphrased: "It may be possible to have a happy home without cats, but how to prove the title?"It may be that there are exceptions to my gut-feeling stereotypes of Republicans and Southerners, but how to prove it when I've yet to meet these exceptions?Enter BookTalk. Here I "meet" the founder of this freethinker website, "Chris", and only after reading several level-headed posts from him, I read that he is a Republican, and not only that, but never has been anything but! Here he is, willfully reading books that challenge his opinions and highly encouraging others to do so. I have also read some member profiles of Southerners who challenge the religious pro-quo and who identify themselves as political blues living within deep red states. (My sympathies to you; it's hard enough being blue in a purplish-red state!)Ah, BookTalk; an antidote to creeping stereotyping; a wedge in the doorway of my mind to keep it from closing. My gratitude to you for giving my head a chance at ascendancy over my gut.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: (Blogging) Antidote to stereotyping

Unread post

Republican is different from what the party name has become. True republicans are a dying breed...we are seeing a metamorphosis into a type of non-thinking, non-critical, power hungrey, dominating by force type of party.People like Bush, Santorum, Ridge, Ashcroft and a slew of others are dangerous people and we should be very aware of what they are doing that we do NOT hear about...more than any other people in the past or present...even Al Qaida.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

re: Antidote to Stereotyping

Unread post

(this brings out the linguist in me....4 years of university unwasted!)Look at all of the labels in the world that have become pejoratives: liberal, republican, feminist...it is the nature of language change that we, as humans, continuously use words in new ways. What changes is not the word, but the concept that it is assigned to. The connotative meaning becoming, over time, the denotative, or dictionary meaning. And this change can occur very quickly, and it can be controlled. There's a couple of good chapters in Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them where he traces the spread of a story from the rather innocent source, and follows it through the various spins in the right-wing media, to where it pretty much destroys someone's reputation. (I have it on audio book, so it's difficult, if not impossible to find a more specific reference.) This is not an example of language change per se, but just controlled change in perception.And these changes in meaning are often a narrowing of the reference. "Liberal" is now just a perjorative from the Right, and has lost much of its former complexity. Just like "Republican". Don't get me started on how it's changed the level of discussion of the various -isms!Lori
Kate Fremont

What we don't hear about

Unread post

NIck,So many times I have heard that this presidency is the most secretive in modern history. I follow current affairs fairly regularly, and I must say, the guys you've mentioned really give me the creeps. There are so many times they have been caught lying (politicians can't use that word, and journalists shy from it, but I'll say it), and I sometimes hear in interviews of things being kept secret. It's what one doesn't know that can be the scariest.--Kate"May you live in interesting times."--A Chinese curse
Kate Fremont

Re: 4 years of university unwasted

Unread post

Lori,Quote: (this brings out the linguist in me....4 years of university unwasted!)Hah! Reminds me of my husband, how when he does his crossword puzzle and comes across a clue for a word in Spanish (my college minor), he'll ask me for help. If I don't have the answer for him (it's only been over twenty years since my college days ), he'll say, "Well, there's four years of college wasted!"Ah, but that'll be remedied. I've taken up studying Spanish again on my own at home. Much of the world speaks more than one language, and I think it's a shame most Americans don't.Quote:(I have it on audio book, so it's difficult, if not impossible to find a more specific reference.)Yes, however wonderful audio books are for multi-tasking, that's a definite downside.--Kate
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Audio Books

Unread post

Kate, Let me know if you want any audio books. I've got mostly non-fiction, poetry...not much in the way of fiction.Lori
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Audio Books

Unread post

Fellow NPR/CBC listeners, how cool! I used to catch CBC news on TV when I had a roomate who got cable. On NPR I love all the ones you have mentioned, but my favorite is Prairie Home Companion. It was always a little taste of home when I was living elsewhere (not in North Dakota).

Return to “Everything Else”