• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Intro: Doc Tiessen

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
amd2003

Re: poll

Unread post

I am going to post here, post on another ezboard community, and then come back and post here, to see how the count updates.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Graduation

Unread post

Life has been turmoil for me in many ways since about September of last year.Hopefully things will be getting better...Optimist? No...it seems more like my pessimism has been confirmed lately!I'll make it though...thanks for the concern!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Doc -- Who are you?

Unread post

Doc,I'm sure you've shared a lot of your background in past posts, but for those of us new to BookTalk, and seeing your input everywhere (including informative lectures in biology), could you tell us a bit about who you are? A serious or frivolous post -- whatever appeals to you. Pretty please? Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
Doc Tiessen

Re: Doc -- Who are you?

Unread post

Well Lori,I have been away for a while... we all come and go... sometimes we have time for this hobby, other times not... by the way I like your motto... we are all owners of our deeds...Ok, you ask for a bit of background info... well, what can I tell... I was born in Mexico... I went to school in Germany... did my university in Heidelberg... on biology... I also did my PhD on plant biochemistry... near Berlin... now, I work at a research institution back in Mexico... with carbohydrate metabolism...I am a freethinker... I was atheist, but I recently started to believe in God... no religion, only a impersonal God. A rather strange type of God... you might learn from my posts...I guess this could give you a start... Diversity is Good!
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Doc -- Who are you?

Unread post

Cool, thanks. Of course, you've raised more questions, but I'll enjoy the mystery of a child born in Mexico, schooled in Germany for awhile... play with a few scenarios (a diplomatic kid? a romantic meeting of a dashing Mexican man and a tall blond German woman?) Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
Doc Tiessen

Re:Who are you?

Unread post

Yes, you are right... I may raise more questions than provide answers... hehehehe.... in this very moment, it just comes to my mind one scene in the Matrix... It is the question that drives us....By the way, I must admit that I am a fan of the Matrix... and not because of the action or the special effects... I have the 3 movies on DVD and I watch them from time to time... and I scroll almost all of the action... just to stop on the dialoges... I am sometimes impressed by how much comes to my mind when I listen to them.Maybe it is a good way to get to know me better, by the things I like... I was rised as a child with the fantasy of a Jedi ritter... ET made also a big impression on me... when I was 13 years, my mother bought a science enciclopedia... and I just read it all... it was funny, because all my friends were reading books for children... but me I was reading a thematic enciclopedia... the more I think about it... the more weird it sounds... well, some of my early friends did say that I was a bit 'strange'. Just because I liked to play a lot with plants... I grew my own vegetables in the garden... and also because I was interested in science since a very early age... while my friends were playing soccer all the time, I was eithe reading science books, making experiments with plants, or just imagining how to make a better world... as a child, I drew many maps of the perfect city... also, I designed national parks and reservates... so that my home country, Mexico, should have more parks that USA... up to 15% of the area should be dedicated to nature conservation...well, I had many plans and many ideals... but as I grew up, I realised how limited I was... it is not easy to change the world... so that slowly you have to give up some of your ideals and become more realistic... sometimes, this means to work and to ear money... just to survive.... but well, I was lucky, since I have found a job as a scientist... so that at least I can live some of my ideals, and make experiments and have fun inventing new crazy things...The purpose of life I never saw in eating, earning money, to then sleep and eat, etc... I wanted more... thus... I am still in that process... I want more from life... and I try to use my intelligence to help me out... I always had a problem justifying why I had to kill animals and plants to eat... and well, at some stage I started to believe, that it was Ok for me to eat a salad and a steak... as long I thank the cow that gave up his life just to fill my stomach with good proteins... as long as I behave more intelligently than a cow, that seemed justifiable from my point of view...But, well, I am now just typing the first things that come to my mind... I do not know if that is ok or a sensible thing to do... maybe I am just confusing anybody who might want to read something more eloquent... but well.... I guess I write already enough complicated posts in other threads... so that here I can be more chaotic...Hm, just to give you an impression that I am somehow oldfashioned... one friend always tells me that I still live in the 90s.for music I do like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Dire straits, U2, Pink Floyd... but well, that does not mean that I do not like also the modern stuff... Britney Spears is also ok... but my favourite is Shakira... really nice... especially when she still sang in spanish... the english songs are not anymore from the soul... they do not contain much substance anymore... but her first album... well, that makes me still feel deeply surrounded by passion and emotions... and there is also some philosophical depth in her songs.But well, I might have not answered your questions... but well... I guess we have still time... if you still are curiuos... Diversity is Good!
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Re:Who are you?

Unread post

Quote:I guess I write already enough complicated posts in other threads... so that here I can be more chaotic...There is no better place to be chaotic... Thanks for sharing. I appreciate knowing a bit more about you...Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."

Return to “Everything Else”