• In total there are 52 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Interesting thought experiment

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Interesting thought experiment

Unread post

taken from a book that I'm reading:

Death and the Afterlife - Scheffler and Kolodny
Suppose you knew that although you yourself would live a normal life span the earth would be completely destroyed thirty days after your death in a collision with a giant asteroid. How would this knowledge affect your attitudes during the remainder of your life?
it's an interesting question for the believer and non believer, I think.
And I would not consider being presumptuous as to how a non believer or believer would react to this scenario.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Interesting thought experiment

Unread post

That would be a horrible thing to live with.

that would be a hell of a bummer. I know that i'm going to die one day, and i guess that is sort of inevitable and i don't think about it too much. But to think earth will be sterilized afterwards would give me something to really be sad about.

I suppose i would do my best to get us off-world. Not much chance of success there. But if certain death by asteroid awaits the planet, it's the only way to preserve anything about humanity. The earth might yet rejuvinate. Maybe even give life to sentient beings again in the future, but that would be the end of humans, and that would be a shame.

Maybe even an outpost on luna to wait out the after-effects? If we are talking about transporting as many people and other living things off earth as possible, i guess we would have to shoot for the nearest safest object, and though i can't say for sure, it seems that taking trips to luna is easier than trying to take one giant ship to mars or something.

Of course, that says nothing about trying to divert the asteroid. If that was in play, it would be a whole lot easier to divert the asteroid than move a seed colony off-world.

yeah.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
andrewjoyce
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

A good question. One thing I wouldn't do is worry about leaving any money for my children and grandchildren.
Last edited by andrewjoyce on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cada
Official Newbie!

Unread post

yeah, I wouldn't have any children at all, and I sure as hell wouldn't worry so much about things like recycling, global warming, or the national debt!
~ Charley

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”