• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Interest in a Taoist Reading?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
riverc0il
Senior

Interest in a Taoist Reading?

Unread post

Any interest in doing a reading featuring one of the three core Taoist texts? Tao Te Ching, Chuang Tzu, or Lieh-Tzu. Much of reading such texts encompasses dealing with the problem of interpreting an intretation from a translation it might be interesting to discuss various passages, especially if multiple translations are used (though I would frown on 'interpretive' texts such as LeGuin's). I have compared several translations at various bookstores but usually come back to the Gia-Fu Feng/Jane English translation due to it's great readability and flow (though I suspect it lacks the accuracy of D. C. Lau. I found Cleary and Mitchell to be my least favorites though they are generally the best sellers.It would be difficult to do this as an unofficial reading since we could not break down chapters or passages into different threads. Or perhaps this should be made as an official reading suggestion if there is enough interest? Though I suspect the focus is rather narrow and the appeal not too broad.So how about it? Any takers or interest? It has been a long time since I have thumbed through either Tao Te Ching or Chuang Tzu and I have yet to read Lieh-Tzu which is on my to read list.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Interest in a Taoist Reading?

Unread post

Chaung Tzu is something I've been meaning to read for a while. I've read the other three basic Taoist texts, but I wouldn't mind revisiting some of them. It would probably be best to start with Tao de Ching. That way, we don't leave anyone behind.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Chaung Tzu is great reading. I have the Merton interpretive version (which puts the text into verse) and the Inner Chapters by Gia-Fu Feng/Jane English. I am looking into buying a more proper literal translation though and get a full version including all the chapters.I almost wonder if the Chaung Tzu would be a better place to start than the Tao Te Ching? I had a basic understanding of the concepts before actually reading the Tao Te Ching (through Merton's interpreation of the Chuang Tzu and the ever popular Tao of Poo) which I think contributed more to my appreciation of the Tao Te Ching. Even still, some chapters I still read and kinda glance over whereas I think the Chaung Tzu has more of an everyday kind of logic to it, you don't really have to contemplate meaning as much because the meaning is pretty clear from what I remember.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Maybe. I can kinda see the logic in that. Chuang Tzu, as I understand it, interprets Tao te Ching to some extent, so it might make it easier to understand the relevance of some of the more mystical aspects of the te Ching. One potential drawback is that it might slant us towards the Chuang Tzu interpretation, but you may be better qualified to evaluate that possibility.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”