• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Intense Dichotomy's hello

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
intensedichotomy

Intense Dichotomy's hello

Unread post

Um...Hello All I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ariya, (pron. Ah-ree-ya). It kind of sounds like a musical Aria...but, it actually means "ideal" or "noble" in Pali. Pali is an ancient language in Tibet which was used to write Buddhist suttas (sutras) in. And, no this isn't my real name. I was invited to join Booktalk.org by Chris/Morthan (?) in Yahoo Chat.I'm a 31-year-old female. I live, breathe, feel, and think. But, that is all I can say for certain. Right now, I'm still trying to decide what I truly believe. (Is constantly in an intense dichotomy..hence the name).I'm questioning my religious and moral beliefs, and exploring what I believe or don't believe. I love reading anything. I love mythology (esp. Mircea Elidae and Joseph Campbell); I love comparative religion (esp. Buddhism, Christianity, etc ; I love science (esp. biology and astronomy); And I love reading fiction. I'm passionate about art, music, writing, and politics. And I'm often confused, often changing my viewpoint from one day to another, depending on what new information I receive.Anyway, good to meet other thinkers..and thanks for the invite Chris/Morthan.Sincerely,Ariya
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Re: Intense Dichotomy's hello

Unread post

Hi AriyaWelcome to booktalk Hope you find some help with your dichotomy here Feel free to jump in to the discussions.Peter
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Intense Dichotomy's hello

Unread post

AriyaI think you have chosen a beautiful name Ariya and I'm happy you've decided to add BookTalk to your life. You've prompted me to look into what my real name means...CHRISTOPHER m EnglishPronounced: KRIS-to-furMeans "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Christos combined with pherein "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.Odd to know my name means "Christ-bearer," when I am such an outspoken atheist.I like how you said, "I'm a 31-year-old female. I live, breathe, feel, and think. But, that is all I can say for certain. Right now, I'm still trying to decide what I truly believe. (Is constantly in an intense dichotomy..hence the name)."One of our members, Steve Painter, once said, "I have seen the enemy and the enemy is certainty." This has stuck with me now for several years. What a poetic way of expressing the importance of remaining flexible and open to varying viewpoints and opinions. There is nothing more dangerous than a rigid mind. Being absolutely certain about what is right and wrong is a precursor to the willingness to pick up a gun, sword, or suicide bomb-vest and kill the evil bastards that don't share your beliefs.I applaud you for being willing to question your beliefs Ariya. Few people have the courage to think introspectively and examine their beliefs. Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living, yet so few people ever care enough about personal growth that they fail to really examine their own motives and behaviors.You said, "I love reading anything." You'll fit right in here at BookTalk. The love of reading, thinking and growing intellectually is something we all share. And the topics you seem to enjoy are enjoyed by the majority of our members. Science seems to come up more than any other subject, but we have hit on many other areas. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. This environment should prove to be a healthy and productive one for you. Religious chat rooms are fun and dynamic, in that you have immediate feedback and interactions with others, but there is so much spam and immaturity that the experience is often more frustrating that rewarding. At least this has been my experience.If your schedule permits please come by a Thursday night chat session. They begin at 9:00pm eastern, and end whenever people decide they are done. I'm not sure how many people will show up tonight seeing as it is Christmas. Anyway, welcome to BookTalk! Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Return to “Everything Else”