• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Instant Run Off Voting

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jjacobs43

Instant Run Off Voting

Unread post

Here in Washington, there is an effort to get signatures to establish Instant Run Off Voting for Washington State.www.irvwa.org/The idea is that you rank candiates in order of preference. Then, all the #1 choices are tallied up. If no candidate has received 50% of the vote, then the last placed candidate is removed and everybody who chose him/her as their #1 will get to use their #2 preference instead. This process continues until there is a candidate with at least 50% of the votes.So, in theory, if you ended up with something like Bush 49%, Kerry 48%, Nader 3%. The 3% who voted for Nader would get their #2 choice instead and it could swing the totals to something like Bush 49%, Kerry 51% giving Kerry the victory.To me, this seems like a no brainer. It gives people the flexibility to choose a 3rd party without having to worry about how it affects the race between the top 2 candidates. It has a history in other places such as Australia and seems to work fine.What do you guys think of this system to determine the President of the US? Any chance of getting it pushed through a system controlled by the 2 major parties?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Instant Run Off Voting

Unread post

I think our system needs a change, is this it? I dont know...but seeing how the last two elections went, I am willing to try just about anything! Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Tiarella

Unread post

Yes, I've been for instant run-off voting since I first heard the idea - thanks for the link. It's amazing how few people have heard of this - I've taken to mentioning it to people when the conversation allows. Spreading the word...
irondemon

Unread post

Libertarians have pushed for this method of voting for some time. It seems apparent to me that it would provide for an outcome more tuned-in to the will of the people, and less prone to manipulation.

Return to “Current Events & History”