• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

If you were to be tortured which method...

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

If you were to be tortured which method...

Unread post

If you were to be tortured which method would suck the most? Results (total votes = 4):Slowly inserted feet first into a wood chipper&nbsp2 / 50.0%&nbsp Beheaded with a sword in front of your whole family&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspFiring squad&nbsp1 / 25.0%&nbsp Beaten to death with clubs and sticks&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspThrown off the top of a building&nbsp1 / 25.0%&nbsp 
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: If you were to be tortured which method...

Unread post

All of the above were favored methods of torture and execution by Saddam and his henchmen.
ADO15

Unread post

What about waterboarding, sensory deprivation, electric shocks, attacks by dogs, and being shot at point blank range with baton rounds?All of the above were favored methods of torture and execution by Bush and his henchmen _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[AD015: What about water boarding, sensory deprivation, electric shocks, attacks by dogs, and being shot at point blank range with baton rounds?All of the above were favored methods of torture and execution by Bush and his henchmen.] Gee, why so hostile? The Bush administration is just using the same tools that the previous administrations have used. In fact one of the most popular successes shown using these methods comes from the Clinton administration.By the way I chose thrown off a building, so I could have one last experience of falling before I died. Falling just feels cool. Later
Greg Neuman

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Quote:ADO15What about waterboarding, sensory deprivation, electric shocks, attacks by dogs, and being shot at point blank range with baton rounds?All of the above were favored methods of torture and execution by Bush and his henchmenWhether or not "Bush and his henchmen" actually do use such methods, I would take any of them over being inserted feet-first into a woodchipper or beheaded in front of my family. While the tortures you describe here are certainly frightening and painful, they do not lead to permanent injury or death.(And did anyone else notice how liberals have "supporters", while conservatives have "henchmen"? Not that I'm complaining; I've come to expect such comical mischaracterizations from the left. I just, you know ... want a henchman.)In any case, ADO15 fails to make a further and more important distinction: While Saddam and his Baathists tortured helpless civilians for such "crimes" as political disagreement, being from the wrong tribe, or possessing western literature, the CIA and US military use such tactics (when they use them at all) on people who's stated goal is the murder of millions of Americans and the utter destruction of western secular democracy.As I've stated before, I'm of two minds on the whole torture issue. In upwards of 99% of cases, I would be against it. But I think we need to reserve the right to use such methods in that tiny minorty of cases where many lives are at stake and evil, murderous men must be made to tell what they know. Even then I don't like it, I simply believe it might be necessary. Necessary to save hundreds, thousands, or even millions of lives.Anyway, I think the comparison between Saddam's methods and those used by US interragators is specious at best. They are not only vastly different in severity, they are also vastly different in why and how often they're used.G "Dear Buddha: Please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket."- Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
Luck of the Draw

Unread post

G---Anyway, I think the comparison between Saddam's methods and those used by US interragators is specious at best. They are not only vastly different in severity, they are also vastly different in why and how often they're used.I think the prisoners we turned over to countries that don't recognize human rights, those countries that will do our dirty work as Frank has mentioned, would disagree on your severity comment, no? And I honestly fail to see a difference. As stated, at the end of the day you are one and the same......someone that hadn't any qualms about torturing another being. LoTD"If the truth ever wins ask which lie fought for it"--Nietzche"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[Luck: As stated, at the end of the day you are one and the same......someone that hadn't any qualms about torturing another being.]I think you might be misreading the people who are defending the use of torture in the extreme cases. It is not that we don't have qualms about torturing another human, its that we can see the greater good of such action, despite the fact that torture goes against every fiber of our being.Later
ADO15

Unread post

I was not the one who first used the word henchmen in this thread, so unless you think Chris is from the left, that's shown up a bias already.Right, where else do we go? OK. There is zero evidence for the much-reported feet-first into the mincer torture. That was made up by the same anti-Saddam faction the Iraq National Council who had so much to gain from Saddam's departure, and supplied plenty of other unsupported 'intel', notably the '45 minutes' claim, which remains uncorroborated. All this despite having no one in Iraq at the time. OK, that's dispensed with.Next, that the US only uses torture on sworn enemies? Don't make me laugh. Most of the detainees in Guantanamo were not caught in combat areas. Several were kidnapped from different countries, FHS. There is no evidence against them , or else it could have been tested in a court. And what of all the prisoners set free - the British and Italian citizens for example? Did they suddenly become not sworn enemies? I don't think so.OK, and the bizarre thought that drowning, shooting, and attack by dogs don't end in death? Um. Well, you may be surprised to hear that holding someone under water for a protracted length of time does lead to the inhalation of water and a very unpleasant death. Maybe you have different water in the US, or gills, or something. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[ADO15: OK, and the bizarre thought that drowning, shooting, and attack by dogs don't end in death?]In the vast majority of cases, no. Remember we have to keep these guys alive so they can talk. The dunking of the terrorists head in a dirty toilet is not meant to drown them; they are let up before they inhale too much crap and water. If they have inhaled too much water the interrogators move to a safer method while the terrorist clears their lungs. Shooting for torture is not into the terrorist but near them as a frightening tool; it is often used to jar them awake.The use of dogs is not what you are thinking, the dogs never touch the prisoners but they do get very close. I hear the dogs can slip away from time to time, but they are quickly recovered. Now "playing the spaceman" is a nasty procedure that we have used in the past, but I do not think it is tolerated anymore.Besides the detainees in Gitmo have not been tortured. Mistreated, yep, abused, most surely but these were not approved interrogations, these were nasty people doing nasty things, not our government encouraging torture. The reporting on Gitmo has been a disgrace. Not the place itself. Many of the Gitmo prisoners were very sick with TB and frostbite, many were already mentally ill or irrational, and the base had very little facilities to hold them.Meanwhile the detainee's lawyers were suing, and of course repeating the detainee's tales of abuse. (which may or may not be true)In the same token, a civilian contractor walked into FBI regional offices in Southern California, and alleged abuse including shackling prisoners for extended periods, subjecting them to extremes of heat and cold, introducing dogs into interrogations, putting a lit cigarette into a detainee's ear, and putting an Israeli flag around a detainee. These allegations by the unnamed civilian were sent to FBI interrogators who had worked at Gitmo and published by the ACLU after a FOIA lawsuit.It's important to remember that allegations of abuse are coming from one civilian employee (NOT the FBI as shoddily reported); released prisoners in foreign countries suing the US in their local courts; and prisoner's lawyers. None of these people have an axe to grind and are completely trustworthy...right?Anyway because of the classified nature of the site no one can know for sure what is happening there, except the detainees and the soldiers. If you insist on saying that the detainees at Gitmo are being tortured I want to see paperwork that is on the record, and testimony from credible people. Not media speculation, released persons who want money or lawyers regurgitating stories. Later
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Hey, if I switch from Independent to Republican can I get henchmen?

Return to “Current Events & History”