• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

I Had A Home In Syria: a nonfiction children's picture book

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
fisknp
Official Newbie!

I Had A Home In Syria: a nonfiction children's picture book

Unread post

So, in full disclosure, I'm the author of I Had A Home In Syria and am hoping to get feedback and shares (if you, fellow book lovers, think it's a worthwhile project). I've enabled a full book preview for review purposes ... just follow the link.

I'm a college writing instructor, and the book is a collaborative project with my freshman Hunger Games-themed class (yep: that's actually a thing). Most people don't know that Suzanne Collins wrote both a children's picture book and a middle grade book series, in addition to The Hunger Games trilogy — all about war, b/c she believes that we should start teaching kids about it early, since that's the only way the cycle of violence will end. My students decided that her children's book (about Vietnam) wasn't the best and elected to write our own for our service project (all proceeds will go to helping a displaced Syrian grad student at our university, who is recently out of funding). I'm pretty ridiculously proud of them.

Here's the full description on lulu.com: Meet a Syrian girl who must find a new home when hers becomes too dangerous. She's little, but she has BIG ideas adults need to hear. She's scared, but she's also hopeful that the world can be better.

This book is inspired by the story of a displaced Syrian, who is completing her Ph.D. at a state university, here in the USA. The idea behind the book is to explain the Syrian refugee crisis to children in a way that doesn't scare them, but that makes them braver. All proceeds from book sales will be donated to our Syrian friend for her tuition.

Thanks for reading, and for your thoughts! xo

lulu.com/shop/nicole-plyler-fisk/i-had- ... 30086.html

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”