• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

I Believe in Darwinism and Scientism

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

I Believe in Darwinism and Scientism

Unread post

http://darwinday.org/about/
International Darwin Day will inspire people throughout the globe to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, scientific thinking, and hunger for truth as embodied [/u]in Charles Darwin

:adore: :adore: :adore:
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: I Believe in Darwinism and Scientism

Unread post

Surely you meant this.
International Darwin Day will inspire people throughout the globe to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, scientific thinking, and hunger for truth as embodied in Charles Darwin
Because you have framed it to indicate that Truth is embodied in Charles Darwin, which is not the case.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

No, I didnt
There website did.

They have sinned, huh?

Saint Darwin is alive and well.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:No, I didnt
There website did.

They have sinned, huh?

Ant, stop trolling. Your emphasis above was misleading.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:No, I didnt
There website did.

They have sinned, huh?

Ant, stop trolling. Your emphasis above was misleading.
actually, Johnson placed emphasis where it would NOT make it seem as if there was a religious tone to the language.

Mr. Johnson,
Please stop trolling.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:actually, Johnson placed emphasis where it would NOT make it seem as if there was a religious tone to the language.

If the more honest interpretation makes is seem as if there isn't a religious tone - then perhaps there wasn't intended to be a religious tone? Perhaps the way you MISread the statement is your own strawman, as usual?

Perhaps you really do misunderstand nearly everything you read. Intellectual empathy is critical in that case. Why have you ignored this concept the last dozen or so times I've mentioned it? It's relevant. Apply it, don't ignore the need for it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:actually, Johnson placed emphasis where it would NOT make it seem as if there was a religious tone to the language.

If the more honest interpretation makes is seem as if there isn't a religious tone - then perhaps there wasn't intended to be a religious tone? Perhaps the way you MISread the statement is your own strawman, as usual?

Perhaps you really do misunderstand nearly everything you read. Intellectual empathy is critical in that case. Why have you ignored this concept the last dozen or so times I've mentioned it? It's relevant. Apply it, don't ignore the need for it.

Perhaps youre too biased to see where the religiosity lies in this brand of atheism.

Perhaps you are not aware of your need to not do completely away with religiosity.

Perhaps you refuse to read the words "truth as embodied in Charles Darwin" and how that is similar to a description of sainthood.

And perhaps your arrogance and ignorance of Charles Darwin and the humble man that he was makes it impossible for you to speculate reasonably that a "Charles Darwin Day" would have perhaps made him feel uncomfortable.

Lastly, perhaps your own strawman has come to life and is the perfect existential buddy you need to remain sane and stop all those horrific religious themed dreams that used to torment you not too long ago.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Ant, you're wrong. Painfully, obviously wrong. Move on.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Ant, you're wrong. Painfully, obviously wrong. Move on.

I responded to your defense of the religious tone permeating throughout "Darwin Day" website.
Now what? I can't respond when Interbane (yes, you) declares something to be wrong?
That is censorship, of course. And you are painfully wrong for trying to brand my post as trolling and asking me to "move on" without responding to your biased nonsense.

Do you think you are the embodiment of truth around here?

Wake up, please.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Do you think you are the embodiment of truth around here?
Try the embodiment of hunger.

subject - preposition - noun

Hunger is the subject, and truth is the prepositional noun. It's what's called a prepositional phrase, and can't be split without losing the intended meaning. Johnson bolded the grammatically correct way to emphasize a prepositional phrase in a sentence. There is a black and white true and false solution, and your emphasis is false. Really, move on.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”