• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Howdy ho!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kenny Meek

Howdy ho!

Unread post

This looks like an interesting spot...what I have going...let's see, at work- "I Have Landed" by Stephen Jay Gould..it's a swell little series of essays on various subjects. Interesting but I never find SJG to flow particulaly well. Have to read him in spurts. By the bed are "Animal Farm" by Orwell and "Why Orwell Matters" by Christopher Hitchens. Hitchens was giving a talk in the area so I thought I'd check it out, and since I'd never read anything by Orwell I figured I'd better do the two...sorta hard to understand one without the other. I also have "The Edward Said Reader" By the bed and "The Chomsky Reader" by the living room sofa. I have to read that stuff in spurts also. I'll read a sentence or two and that will tend to send me off into thought thereby disrupting the reading. Oh yeah-I also have "The Battle for God" by Karen Armstrong by the sofa. It's a history of fundamentalism. Good stuff but a lot of historic detail that tends to lose one.Recently finished are a Wendy Kaminer book on civil liberty, I forget the title but I love Wendy. She reads easily and keeps you engrossed. I read "Skeptics and True believers"...I forget the authors name but it seems to me that SJG wrote the forward or something like that. Lets see-Bertrand Russell- Unpopular EssaysNoam Chomsky- 9-11Wendy Kaminer- Sleeping with Extra-Terrestrials- good stuff also-love that wonderful WendyDaniel Quinn- Ishmael- Fiction about saving the world. Christopher Hitchens- Letters to a Young ContrarianThat's some stuff. I have a short attention span so it's not uncommon for me to have 10 books lying around at a time. I'm not really a spaz or anything like that...I just get to reading something and it takes a very short time for something to apply to my own reality in some way sending me off into neverneverland , thereby inhibiting the reading process. Too many books, not enough hours in a lifetime.When I think of more I'll let y'all know. I'm an Electrician for Hughes(satellite, DirecTV) by day and a part time musician with my wife. I've been doing that for 25 years. I'm also active in Washington Area Secular Humanists. I'm 41, have an interesting array of offspring 1 biological, 2 step, 1 step-grand, and a cat named Buddy. I live in Frederick Maryland which pretty much marks the northeast corner of the Bible Belt, which leaves me plenty of material for suicidal letters to the editor in the local paper. Needless to say the local fundies know who I am. That's about it. See ya around.Later,Kenny
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Howdy ho!

Unread post

Kenny,Welcome to the board! If I recall correctly, Thurkon lives in the Washington area as well. Did you participate in the recent March? If so, what was it like? Was it a big deal in the area?I have a tendency to start books and not finish them as well. I'm really into this month's book though. It's so interesting. I've read some of The Lucifer Principle every day. I'm well into and it's only the 6th so I'm definitely planning to finish it. I look forward to reading more from you and hope to see you (and your wife if she's interested in this type of stuff - another woman on the site would be great) in the chat room some Thursday evening! Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Kenny:Welcome to BookTalk Kenny! So how did you learn of us?Quote:Interesting but I never find SJG to flow particulaly well. Have to read him in spurts.Wow...I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Gould rambles on too much in my opinion. And he seems a bit egotistical and arrogant. I say this from personal experience too. I've always been annoyed by his continuous references to his baseball.I too read in spurts. I'm currently working through at least a dozen books and probably won't finish most of them for months. Well welcome to BookTalk! If you are available to come to Thursdays chat at 9:00pm we sure would like to meet you in a more personal environment....Oh, and please put a pushpin on the "GuestMap" at the bottom of the Booktalk page! Thanks...OMG I just went back and read my post and think I'll leave it unedited for a laugh. What I meant to say was "I've always been annoyed by his continuous references to baseball, not to his baseball. Damn he would be shallow to continually talk about his baseball.Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 11/7/02 12:24:01 am
Kenny Meek

Unread post

Hi Cheryl and Chris,Yes-I did attend the march. There were maybe a couple thousand there with about 100 militant redneck fundies with big well used signs flanking us from all sides. There were a few things yelled back and forth, but I wouldn't say that the yellers on our side were any more sophisticated than the fundies. It was a big deal among many of the few non-religious in the area, but it didn't get a lot of press(page c3 in The Washington Post I think) I doubt you'll see Terry(my wife) in here as she is a moderate Christian who sometimes gets hold of bad fundie literature and radio info. that is grossly innacurate and in need of correction. I tend to do that subtly in the interest of domestic harmony.As far as learning about you guys one of the WASH(Washington Area Sec. Humanist) guys posted your site on our listserve so I decided to check it out. I'll be sure and do the pushpin thing as soon as I find it.See yaKenny
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Kenny:I might be more interested in attending things like that March if it weren't for the militarist atheists who give the entire group a bad name. Granted, I agree with their position, but I have no interest in being hostile towards believers. The message needs to get out, but the delivery is important too.I have found that a good percentage of atheists that attend atheist meetings are no less dogmatic and ignorant than the Christians they seem to get off on bashing. Everyone needs an enemy according to Dr. Bloom, but when you can identify this primitive aspect of the human psyche shouldn't you stamp it out? For about a year and a half I was a member of an atheist group, but after awhile I didn't want to associate with them anymore.The constant religion-bashing jokes left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The meetings consisted of one or two loud-mouthed senior citizens, who had a great deal of time on their hands, standing up and giving militaristic speechs about how "road side crosses were unconstitutional" and "we need to call the President!" They were like religious doomsdayers in that they seemed to always think society was soon to collapse because of faith.I can't think of a more atheistic atheist than myself, but I sure don't want to destroy peoples lives in a crusade to enlighten them. I heard only about 2,400 peoples showed up for that March. For an event advertised nationally I would have expected at least 10,000. Those low numbers could be attributed to it being the first year though.If you want to get involved in something relatively positive you might want to look into some sort of event on "Darwin Day," which naturally takes place on or around February 12. Small groups all over the world have educational and social events on this day. check it out when you have time. www.darwinday.org/ I'm going to look for an event in my area.Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 11/7/02 1:11:09 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

KennyThank you very much for contributing that $20 towards the BookTalk Community Chest! I really appreciate it! Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.

Return to “Everything Else”