• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

How many books do you read each year?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
literatureuniverse
Creative Writing Student

Re: How many books do you read each year?

Unread post

:D Normally I can read up to thirty books for a year, but with school and reading material our teacher gives us, mainly down to basically ten books a year. But I try and read. :(
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

How many books do I read in a year? Um... All of them? :)

Seriously, I would guess over 16 but I don't keep track.

But I wanted to respond to this:
Chris OConnor wrote:Your post forces us to ask the stumper, "Whats the meaning of life?" question. But is there one? Not in my book.
The question seems to imply that life has to have one specific meaning across all time and space. But the same word can have different meanings to different people, in different contexts. Why shouldn't life?

In Indonesian the word "air" means water. In English, it means the mixture of gases we breathe. (Of course, it's pronounced differently in the two languages.)

In my book, my life has whatever meaning for me I assign to it. Sometimes it's about helping others, sometimes about feeling satisfied and fulfilled, sometimes about following where my curiosity leads, sometimes about cocooning and resting and recovering from adventures.
Chris OConnor wrote:So, like you, I feel it is important to learn as much as possible, but cannot articulate a logical reason as to why. Is it to share your knowledge with the rest of the world and hopefully make a difference? Hmm I guess this makes sense in a humanistic sense. Learn all you can so you can benefit humanity with your wisdom.
I can't articulate a logical reason for following my curiosity, either. Sometimes what I have learned has turned out to be helpful, sometimes not. Most of the time I have enjoyed the process of learning and derive a feeling of satisfaction from it. So it seems worth it to me, whether it ever benefits anyone else or not. It will be nice if it does, but that doesn't feel terribly important to me.
Tom
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I calculate based on the number books including audio, in my possession a number close to
1400, divided by 25 years of reading, ( I only really started reading in earnest that many years ago)
56 books per year on average. I have thoughts on reading but they likely wont gel with what others
here have to say, but here goes anyways, accumulated knowledge means nothing without application,
being well read is only applicable in small social circles especially when discussing books because of
the lag of other readers, there is no need for deathbed wisdom as there is a certain bigger fish to fry,
sometimes for me reading is a waste of time but if the stories good I just can't help myself, I know
that I'm just throwing stuff out here, free association is like that, so forgive my self indulgence.
Years ago I was bored and needed something to do, my sister in law turned me onto Steven King
and Peter Straub, (The Stand), then Robert Ludlum, (Bourn Identity), hitch hikers guide, a biography
of Ted Bundy,(made me lock doors at night), I found a great used book store in St. Pete, (Haslam's)
This place to me was nirvana, all the thoughts of the world just waiting for me to catch up.
I thought I new nothing and now I would know what the best minds new and I attacked it.
Anyway that was the beginning for me. Since then I have traveled the world and read books in every
place I've been. My taste for reading has never waned but has evolved from mainstream to obscure
and back. New or old a good read is just that,(good). Thinking on it, any reading is an amusing study
of history and this is whats lost with that final fried fish, our connection with the direct past and in
turn our capacity to properly confront the future. With books we confront our enemies and ultimately
learn to understand them, we learn what depths we can endure in the name of love, honor,selflessness.
reading_glasses
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I estimate that I read somewhere between 15 and 20 books a year. I've always got a book in progress, but I'm not a particularly fast reader, and some books I read are very long. For example, an excellent book I read recently was California Gold by John Jakes, which was over 550 pages.

Return to “Everything Else”