Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How long do you usually read in one sitting? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

How long do you usually read in one sitting?
At my best I can sit and read a book for about 2 hours straight. But then I start to drift to other things.

How about for you guys?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:36 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Re: How long do you usually read in one sitting?
I can usually read for over 3 hours, but it depends on how interesting the book is. If it is not interesting i don't read for more than an hour.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:32 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Oh goodness... I can read for hours and hours. I've never really timed myself, but I would say I've read many times for a good 8 hours straight, easily. Is that crazy or what? Wait. Don't answer that.

The following user would like to thank Maverick_Mom for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

not crazy at all :)

if the book is right i will read until physical pain sets in, and as soon as the pain is assuaged i will simply resume until the words run out :lol:

i've only had two books like that recently.

more typically though an hour or two or three, often followed by reading something else.

also spend many many hours listening to audiobooks, lectures, etc etc especially while playing computer games.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

In ideal conditions (a book I'm really interested in, a comfortable reading position, and a snack within arms reach) I could read for about 3-4 hours. However, I find myself needing to put down a book every now and again to think about what I just read.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile Email
Atop the Piled Books

I can read for hours and hours but I also usually read more than one book at a time. So a few chapters of this and a few chapters of that with a magazine for dessert perhaps. I can scan ten books or more in an afternoon at the bookshop...does anyone remember Johnny Five in "Short Circuit"? Input! Input! Yep, that's the way it is sometimes.

The following user would like to thank lovemybull for this post:
youkrst
Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

I read about an hour, even on books I enjoy.

Last edited by Brooks127 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Brooks127 for this post:
youkrst
Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Usually for about an hour; then I have to get up and stretch. When I was younger, I could read for hours if the book was good. :wink:

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

2 hours is my best score, I loose focus afterwards and start to think about other things while reading and then I surprise myself that I read 2 pages and I don't know what they were about. :/

The following user would like to thank magdamierzeja for this post:
youkrst
Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:34 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Two hours is about right for me or 1/3 of a book whichever comes first.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

It depends on the book. I've picked up a book and couldn't put it down until I finished it 8 hours later. But I can't always devote that much time to reading. I usually start my reading around 10pm and read until Midnight unless I'm hooked and then I keep telling myself "just one more chapter." 2 hours minimum each night.

Connect with me on Facebook Twitter and Google Plus and lets get some interviews posted.

The following user would like to thank BIVRIC for this post:
youkrst
Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 pm
Profile Email WWW
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

About an hour most normally, but I have read 2 or 3 hours before if I had the time and the story was really great.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile Email
Intelligent

Since I usually read in the car while my ride takes me to school and/or work, I usually read about 20 minutes or so at a time throughout the day. But since that's multiple trips in a day, then I'm not sure how long that would be in total.

Outside of the car, I usually read in between classes, or when waiting on my ride. Depending on the wait, I can read upwards of an hour to an hour and a half at a time. Of course, my interest in the book I'm reading also affects this.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

It depends on what I am reading. If it's a magazine or a newspaper very quick. If it's a very good book it could be several hours. If I am reading anything by my 2 very favorite authors (Jean Sasson and Janet Evanovich) I almost always finish the book in either 1 or 2 sittings. Other times if the book does not catch my interest I can stop reading very quickly, but if I start a book I will always come back and finish it. And if I have a good book lined up to read next by a favorite author I will usually read the dull book very quickly and can spend as much as 3 or 4 hours at a time reading it.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:28 am
Profile Email
Intelligent

I've taken to reading stage plays in recent years, and those I can typically devour in a single sitting. However poetry collections, which are generally the same page length, take longer.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next