• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

How do you feel about volunteering?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

How do you feel about volunteering?

Unread post

I'm just curious how people here feel about volunteering. Lots of services in Canada are dependent on volunteers -- and that drives me crazy. I could go on, and I will, once I answer the poll myself. What are your thoughts on the subject? What kind of volunteering do you do? What benefits do you get from it?I've never done it, never expect toI've done some, in the pastI've been thinking of doing some (more)I volunteer for specific thingsI volunteer regularly, for lots of stuffShow results "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: How do you feel about volunteering?

Unread post

I volunteer for anything I can relating to things that I am proficient in or that interest me. Like the local youth hockey program, library events and helping out the local parks and recreation programs though the new association a local guy started (I got the website up and running and do marketing and promoting the cause).Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Mr. P, I remember you mentioning the website. I think I went to take a look. I've always seemed to volunteer -- from when I was 7, helping Mom canvass for the Heart & Stroke Fund, when I was 8, reading the 'lesson' for church services at the old folks home...to even now, when I'm working on this Children's Festival far more hours than my stipend would professionally cover! I dream of being paid an hourly rate at this kind of job...I'm a strong believer in volunteering -- but hate it when I see men expecting to be paid for work women volunteer to do. That's an enormous simplification...but I'll leave it there, and see if anyone bites. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Not biting, Loricat. But I will answer the original question.I am pro-volunteering. I am, however, particular about the things I volunteer for. I have had some great experiences, and I have had some awful experiences. I think volunteer groups can sometimes fall into a pattern of not being very organized or efficient. The best intentions do not always translate into something substantial being accomplished. There are times when I have tried to participate as a volunteer for something and felt like I was merely wasting my time. In truth the good experiences have far outweighed the bad. I do, however, much prefer being an organizer than just signing up as a random volunteer. It helps me to be able to control the efficiency of the efforts.
Murray Graham
Experienced

Unread post

What Irishrosem said , pretty much.Regards,M. Graham Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books.For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring,but to him they are but toys of the moment,to be overturned with the flick of a finger. -- Gordon R.Dickson
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Oh, I don't volunteer indiscriminately...I pick and choose. Now, especially, volunteering gets my foot in the door of an organization. For a year and a half, I pursued my change-of-career interests by volunteering -- a festival, a political campaign, and a brilliant organization aimed at "Advancing the interests and improving the lives of marginalized persons through law reform, legal education, and strategic legal action."At the end of that time, I was able to arrive in a new town, hand-write a resume with only volunteer experience, and land the best job in town -- 'best' in terms of visibility, networking, and cool factors -- manager of the local farmers' market. As a direct result of that gig, I know a lot of people in town, and I've worked on other projects -- all paid now, thank you. The next thing I'm thinking of volunteering for is the Fest-of-Ale...but I'm an adult with an income, I no longer need to volunteer at things just to gain entrance. So no, I won't volunteer for that one. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd

Return to “Everything Else”