• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

How do we know that Christians are delusional?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

How do we know that Christians are delusional?

Unread post

whywontgodhealamputees.com/video7.htmYou MUST watch this video. I'd like to hear your thoughts after watching this 10 minute video in its entirety.
Asana Bodhitharta

Re: How do we know that Christians are delusional?

Unread post

The video was childish and proved absolutely nothing as Marshall doesn't even have a grasp of the religions that he condemns and an uneducated opinion is a worthless one.The Bible does not say that Jesus is God. So Marshall has a wrong view of Jesus to begin with.Secondly, Allah is The God of Jesus.Until a person actually understands about progressive revelation they will remain in ignorance, excepting those with a pure heart who's spirit progresses on it's own. Edited by: Asana Bodhitharta at: 10/18/06 4:24 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

That video didn't need to delve any deeper into any specific religion. His points were valid and something tells me you're a little biased on this subject.The point is that Christianity is just as irrational of a religion as Mormonism or Islam, but it doesn't "feel" that way because you exist inside the "bubble" of Christianity. He was trying to get you to step outside of the bubble and view Christianity from a new perspective.
phiend

Unread post

I'm kind of torn on this video. I really didn't enjoy it, not because I don't agree with it. I do, but I think it way over simplifies the situation and isn't really useful for anything other than placating the egos of the people that already agree with him. I don't know, I guess maybe if your one of the fence sitters that really just needs even the slightest budge, something like this may work. But from a psychological stand point when ever you start out by insulting your audience, you lose them. When the first thing you do is alienate the person you're talking too, no matter how accurate or convincing your argument, you lose.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

PhiendI hear what you're saying, but think of it this way. Atheists have been arguing for atheism forever. And what progress have we made? Just about every technique has been employed to counter the irrationality of faith. Is Dawkins changing the world? I don't think so. Is American Atheists getting media attention and slowly converting people? Not from what I can see. How many theists have picked up a Bertrand Russell book and actually read and thought about his message? Very few.I just don't think there is a "right" way to tell someone they're completely full of shit. Candy-coat it and they miss the true message. I've tried this approach where I'm subdued, civil, respectful, non-confrontational and completely non-aggressive. What did it get me? My opponent, for lack of a better word, simply feels that my position must be weak for me to be so passive. I've gotten heated and not let any of the numerous logical fallacies slide. I've ripped apart their arguments and completely refuted point after point. And what did it get me? Did they step back and say, "Wow, I never really looked at it like that." Hell no.Faith strangles the reason right out of people. I've yet to see anyone on planet Earth make much headway with atheism. This is why people like Nick flip out so often IMO. He has spent a lifetime trying different techniques only to get complete bullshit thrown back in his face. It gets old.So this video might not be the "textbook" way to handle a mature and professional argument, but at this point what does it matter? NOTHING works once a person has been brainwashed. They are hooked. The only people that have a chance of breaking free from faith are the fence sitters. So this video addresses that group of people. And maybe his simplistic "in your face" attack will do the trick for a select group of fence sitters that were not effected by the more academic approaches of Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell and other famous nonbelievers. Maybe this video is what some people need....shame them into stepping back and looking at their faith from the outside, as opposed to from the inside of their little bubble.I loved the video and think he is 100% correct. Yes, the guy is mocking Christianity, but Christianity deserves to be mocked. I am not advocating employing this technique in our day to day lives, but these types of videos have their place in the atheists arsenal. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/18/06 11:03 am
phiend

Unread post

But see, we have made progress. Our numbers are growing, not shrinking. I think the way we do this is by fighting the root cause, ignorance and irrationality. We teach people to think for themselves, we give them the knowledge to do that, and we fight this trend to celebrate ignorance. I think that, above all is the way to make things better. It's not a simple path, and it's not a short path. The problems we face today will not be solved soon; we have to make sure that the tools are available to the future generations so that they too are not caught up in the delightfully ignorant masses who still think that knowledge is dangerous.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Sometimes, I like the tounge in cheek, in your face approach...to me this video is speaking truth, but also offering some comic relief at the same time. It made me laugh and take a step back from my angst at the fact that most people believe and will die for a myth.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

PhiendI agree that our best chances are through education, but as Nick says above, sometimes it is just plain fun to poke fun of silly things. Comedians do it all the time.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

And I do also agree that education is the key...but I am a comedian...at least I think so. Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
phiend

Unread post

I agree that it is funny, and humor has its place. Believe you me a good Christian bashing is key amongst myself and my friends. And if that is what this site is about, then cool, that movie fits right in. But if like I see in another post Quote:Let's all be sure to not drive off anyone even if we find their positions to be X, Y or Z.This is not the way to do it.Like I said earlier, I'm torn on this one. Do I think it's useless? No, but I don't think it's useful for its stated task.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”