• In total there are 50 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How can we get people more interested in reading?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kdbooklover16
Almost Comfortable

How can we get people more interested in reading?

Unread post

Title says it all- how do you think we can get people more interested in reading?
"So many books, so little time," - Frank Zappa
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: How can we get people more interested in reading?

Unread post

I don't know what the actual figures are on numbers of readers, or what a reader is considered to be--reads newspapers, magazines, novels, online news, social media posts? But I do think it's a simple matter of how people choose to spend the limited time they have for leisure. My impression is that people are choosing to watch screens more and more instead of reading, with the explosion of "bingeable" multi-episode dramas, more sports, and addiction to what's happening on their smartphones.

Let's call "reading" the consumption of whole, authored books. It takes some commitment to pursue this interest, and that also means "screening out" other ways of entertainment.

Then, look at what becomes most exciting for kids. How long do they maintain their wonder about the marks on a page that explain the pictures? When an electronic device comes along, is it bye-bye books?

It's tougher today to grow readers, while it wasn't so much in my day (I'm old). But parents have the most influence over whether their kids become readers. The problem is that they need go a little bit "Amish" on the kids, by limiting access to the TV and electronics, which will make the kids feel out of it with their peers. Technology is cool and reading isn't.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

http://jamesclear.com/read-more
James Clear wrote:Read 20 pages to start the day.

I usually wake up, drink a glass of water, write down 3 things I’m grateful for, and read 20 pages of a book. For the last 10 weeks, I have followed this new habit. As of today, I’m 100 pages into my 7th book. At that pace (7 books per 10 weeks) I’ll read about 36 books in the next year. Not bad.

Here’s why I think this pattern works: 20 pages is small enough that it’s not intimidating. Most people can finish reading 20 pages within 30 minutes. And if you do it first thing in the morning, then the urgencies of the day don’t get in the way.

Finally, 20 pages seems small but adds up fast. It’s a great average speed.

If time allows, I’ll read at other times as well. After the research I did for my article on how to get better sleep, I have added reading to my “prepare for bed” routine as well. But regardless of what happens during the rest of the day, I still get my 20 pages in each morning. more....
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun May 08, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, start 'em young. I remember in 3rd grade we were supposed to read a bunch of books and the teacher kept track. For some it became a bit of a competition, many read 80 to over 100 books during the school year. Plus students routinely gave book reports in front of the class. Once you read that much that young, reading becomes a normal activity for most people.

When my kids were young, they read the entire Harry Potter series twice, that's close to 7000 pages (3407 pages in the series). Having books that grab their interest is key...
BookWyrm
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think the best way to start is to have parents read TO their kids. It associates reading with something pleasant and that feeling carries over as they grow up. How to get older kids and adults into reading? That, I do not know. Too often by then they associate reading with the "chore" of schoolwork and it's harder to break that.

Still, it can be done, if, as LanDroid says, you find something that grabs their interest. The Harry Potter series was fantastic in that respect as it appealed to people of all ages.

That's some good ideas James Clear has to start the day. I always read while I eat, but I didn't think of the glass of water and the 3 things you're thankful for. Must remember that! :)
Hannah_Baston
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Helping people become proficient in reading and being able to navigate the library and book stores would be a big help!

In school, we had lessons on how to find our way around the library and borrow books. Including how to find fiction books and non fiction.

Plus there were always lots of bean bags and books to read. It was a fun, pleasant environment. The lessons were fairly basic but still important.

Easy access to reading materials is important! My college library was huge. There were a vast number of books, a complex system and no comfortable seating. The place was a ghost town except for the computers.

That changed when they changed the layout to feature book reviews, cosy nooks for reading, a simpler system for finding fiction!
Just my two cents :)

But I agree with BookWyrm reading to your kids is a great idea.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

This question is important, but I don't think I have an answer. I do have a couple of observations though:

A. T. & T. has a series of commercials on "Life Without the Internet." People panic, and do all sorts of dumb things. Funny though, you never see anyone pick up a book!

On the other hand, our local library started its annual Summer Reading Progarm last Wednesday. The room was packed with kids and parents. Maybe there is hope after all.
Last edited by Cattleman on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

As 'read to your kid' is mentioned here, I would add be judicious in limiting what your child reads; when my family moved around a bit, one of the first things we did after unpacking was to go to the public library and get everyone cards. One librarian (I'm sure she was just tyring to be helpful) asked if I want to get 'children's cars' (ie. restricted) for my kids. I just looked at her and said "No." If anyone was going to limit my children's reading, it was going to be me.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

I think the next step is getting people back to reading. Often once we start work and get caught up in life it is hard to find time to read. Because I read a lot at work I read very few books and it was only when I retired that I picked up the habit again. Maybe we should give books as presents more often to encourage people to start reading again.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
ralfy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Connect various works from various media based on important themes. For example, Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now in light of inherent evil in humanity.

Return to “Everything Else”