• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Hippocrates Revisited

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Hippocrates Revisited

Unread post

I thought about placing this thread in the Politics and Current Events forum, since it's the Terry Schiavo case that has made it timely, but as this is essentially a question of ethics, I'm posting it with the philosophical discussion instead.Below is a translation of the Oath of Hippocrates as printed in the Harvard Classics edition. The Oath is the basic model for modern medical ethics, and people related to the medical field still speak of conforming to the Hippocratic Oath, but it seems to that we've deviated rather far from both the letter and spirit of the oath.I raise the topic in order to bring two questions to discussion: 1) How much or how little should we demand that our medical institutions conform to the Oath of Hippocrates? and 2) How, if at all, should we amend or replace the Oath?The Oath of HippocratesI swear by Apollo the physician and AEsculapius, and Health, and All-heal, and all the gods and goddesses, that, according to my ability and judgment, I will keep this Oath and this stipulation

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”