• In total there are 2 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Hi I'm Dave Gilmour

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DaveG500

Hi I'm Dave Gilmour

Unread post

Nah not the guy from Pink Floyd but will be 50 in August 03.Found this site in the National Secular Society's (UK) newsbulletin. I became interested in humanism when I finally left Christian Science a part of my life since I was 17. Found the healing not miraculous and could be explained away quite easily.Turned to Quakerism but it finally caused me to give up religion and I have never been happier.Glancing through the Bloom I am really excited by this book will be interested in the discussion. I am so full of wonder about this read.Hope I can make some friends on here. BTW I am gay and have a very cool partner that shares some of my humanist views.I read all kinds the classics history, crime novels and some Sci-fiLook forward to hearing from you all
Kenny Meek

Hi I'm Dave Gilmour

Unread post

Howdy Ho Dave. Last time I greeted a new guy I told him he had to keep his clothes on, and then I found out everybody else was hanging out naked in here. Well...I still have my clothes on, and we prefer you step outside the chatroom if you want to smoke....unless it's dope, you can smoke that in here as long as you share.Welcome to Walley WorldSee yaKenny
Timothy Schoonover

Re: Hi I'm Dave Gilmour

Unread post

Welcome to Booktalk Dave!I hope you find this community a place where you can feel at home. You picked a great time to get involved and I am really excited about the current book we're reading.Looking forward to hearing from you again.- Tim
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Dave,Welcome to BookTalk! We're thrilled to have you. I'm really enjoying Howard Bloom's book and look forward to hearing your comments. Please join us in the chats on Thursday evenings if you're available at the time so that we can get to know you better.Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

DaveWelcome! I was kinda hoping you were from Floyd, but I'll settle on a fellow Humanist and freethinker.I would appreciate if you put a push pin on our GuestMap on the BookTalk HOME page. Just click on the little map in the lower right corner and then click on the "post" button to stick a pin in your area of the world. You can click on the "zoom" button to zoom in closer to be more accurate too.And if you know other people in the UK that you think would like to join BookTalk you can invite them very easily by going to the SUPPORT page, and then following the brief instructions in item #2.Quote:I became interested in humanism when I finally left Christian Science a part of my life since I was 17. Found the healing not miraculous and could be explained away quite easily.I was about 15 when I first used the term "atheist" to describe myself. It takes some strength to leave the comfort zone of faith.Quote:Turned to Quakerism but it finally caused me to give up religion and I have never been happier.So you left religion, but did you also leave theism? Many people turn their backs on organized religion, but never stop being a believer. Where do you stand in this respect?Quote:Glancing through the Bloom I am really excited by this book will be interested in the discussion. I am so full of wonder about this read.You'll love the book I'm sure and I look forward to disucssing it with you in depth. Have you bought it yet and started reading? The forum for discussing this book will be active long after the end of the year I believe, so don't hesitate to start this book now and get involved in the discussions. I only finished the book today, so I will be very excited to discuss any and all aspects of the book with you over the next month or too.Quote:Hope I can make some friends on here. This you can be sure of. Post regularly and come to a chat session if you can. I have no idea where you are in the UK, so I don't know how your time zone compares to Eastern Standard Time. We have a weekly chat session every Thursday at 9:00pm Eastern. Here is a great site for figuring out time zones...www.worldtimeserver.comQuote:BTW I am gay and have a very cool partner that shares some of my humanist views.Get your partner involved on BookTalk too!Quote:I read all kinds the classics history, crime novels and some Sci-fi.We have forums for discussing fiction too, although they haven't received much activity. Over time, as we grow and gain members, I believe we will have additional books being read concurrently. Perhaps a quality fiction book being discussed by a select few members who wish to participate. Again, welcome to BookTalk! We're all happy to have you. If you help spread the word in your area of the world and we gain some members we can add a chat session onto our calendar that works better for the UK. Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/17/02 2:03:13 pm
DaveG500

Yes I have left theism

Unread post

It was an evolving process. One of the advantages of Christian Science is that the concept of God is very abstract and a bit impersonal and a synonym of God is principle. That term actually helped me move on first to Quakers then to Humanism. What a revelation humanism is and I find absolutely no need of a god. We are all here together and to live in hamony and peace from a rational standpoint is my aim in life now.Hope this clarifies where I am coming from and going.Dave

Return to “Everything Else”