Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average. 
Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria
Hi, lovely people from a lovely community. My name is Ivinela Samuilova and I am a (female) writer from Bulgaria. I have found BookTalk.org while searching the best places to contact readers outside Bulgaria.
My interests and creative searches are focused on the inner world of man and his relationship with God, the Universe and other people. I believe that life is a miraculous experience with endless opportunities for us, if we approach it from within, with open heart and enthusiasm.
I adore reading and I am always interested in challenging fresh readings that would help me expand as a personality and open new horizons as a writer.
Besides presenting myself as a writer to this community, I hope to find inspiring books that I do not have access to in Bulgaria (and in Bulgarian language).
Thank you for this opportunity!
xx

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:50 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

Post Re: Hi, I am ivinela, a reader and a writer from Bulgaria
Welcome, Ivinela. Booktalk is a great place to meet others with common interests. What sort of books do you find inspirational?

https://sites.google.com/site/claptonvictoria/home

http://southerndisappointments.blogspot.com/

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Hi Victoria, thank you for your welcoming and question :)
They are many and different the books that have inspired me. The book that has created the greatest impact to me is the novel Karamazovs' Brothers by Dostoevsky. It is a real fortune to be able to read his works in original (Russian).
At the moment I am reading the books of Carlos Castaneda and they provide me with great insights :)
What about you?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 am
Profile Email
Master Debater

:) I enjoy a wide variety of books. In fact, if a book is recommended that I haven't already read, I will almost always give it a try. I enjoy the Sufi poet Rumi, and right now I am reading a book called the The Star Borne. I don't always agree with what I read, but I love to piece together how all of the world's cultures relate through their own histories, stories, and beliefs.

You are the second person this week who has mentioned Dostoevsky to me. :idea: I need to do a little reading and learn more about him. When possible I prefer to read any book in the original language it was written. This doesn't always work out, but so much seems to be lost once books begin to be translated. Any suggestions on what you think I should put on my reading list?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Welcome to the community! :-)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 am
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Thank you for the welcoming Chris!
Victoria, I apologize for delay answering but just 2 days ago was the launch of my third book here in Bulgaria and it gives me a lot of work with book signings etc But this is all good.
I enjoy Rumi too, very much! Actually his thought: “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” is the motto of my new book. His poems are not only inspiring but a great incentive for looking deeper inside ourselves, aren't they?
The fact you like Rumi suggest to me that you will probably enjoy the great Russian literature classics, that dig deep into human soul. I believe Karamazov's Brothers is a good start and you will not only enjoy one of the masterpieces of world's literature but also explore a different culture and mentality that is so rich and profound.
I have this habit to read several books at the same time and today I am in a mood for the "Confessions" of St. Augustine :-)

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:14 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Hi Ivenela.

Welcome to BT!!..

In which language do you write ?

Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.”

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile Email
Master Debater

Ivinela, I wrote down both Castaneda and Dostoevsky and immediately went home to check my collection. It turns out I have works by both, so I have moved them to my "begin reading" collection. Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking forward to broadening my mind!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:52 am
Profile Email WWW
Wearing Out Library Card

Nice to meet you and welcome to the site.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:53 am
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

ivinela wrote:
Thank you for the welcoming Chris!
Victoria, I apologize for delay answering but just 2 days ago was the launch of my third book here in Bulgaria and it gives me a lot of work with book signings etc But this is all good.
I enjoy Rumi too, very much! Actually his thought: “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” is the motto of my new book. His poems are not only inspiring but a great incentive for looking deeper inside ourselves, aren't they?
The fact you like Rumi suggest to me that you will probably enjoy the great Russian literature classics, that dig deep into human soul. I believe Karamazov's Brothers is a good start and you will not only enjoy one of the masterpieces of world's literature but also explore a different culture and mentality that is so rich and profound.
I have this habit to read several books at the same time and today I am in a mood for the "Confessions" of St. Augustine :-)

That's fantastic. I have a kind of mixed background of both Persian and Russian. So I really love Rumi. He was located in Turkey and was really influenced a lot by Christian monks back then. So you can see a strong line of Christianity (in the way he describes God, as he sees God as Love).

Also, I am in love with so many Russian classics. One of my favourites in Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I even wrote a blog post on it. The way he approaches alienation of the people from the society is fascinating.

The following user would like to thank KevinMcCabe for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:31 pm
Profile Email WWW
Creative Writing Student

VictoriaClapton wrote:
:) I enjoy a wide variety of books. In fact, if a book is recommended that I haven't already read, I will almost always give it a try. I enjoy the Sufi poet Rumi, and right now I am reading a book called the The Star Borne. I don't always agree with what I read, but I love to piece together how all of the world's cultures relate through their own histories, stories, and beliefs.

You are the second person this week who has mentioned Dostoevsky to me. :idea: I need to do a little reading and learn more about him. When possible I prefer to read any book in the original language it was written. This doesn't always work out, but so much seems to be lost once books begin to be translated. Any suggestions on what you think I should put on my reading list?

As Rumi has been mentioned for a few times here, I would like to share my favourites quotes from Rumi then:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
The wound is the place where the Light enters you.
Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.
Only from the heart can you touch the sky.
Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.
Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself.
The cure for pain is in the pain.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.
As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

The following user would like to thank KevinMcCabe for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

KevinMcCabe wrote:
The cure for pain is in the pain.
I am mostly posting here so the thread will show up when I look at the list of threads I have posted in. But I am deeply involved in exploring this mystical insight. The non-dualists continually emphasize that suffering which is not faced and accepted will cause the person to inflict suffering on others. That is not a tautology, but a tendency. I think Rumi put the matter very poetically, which can often help a person relate to it.

KevinMcCabe wrote:
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.

True, and deep wisdom, but up to a point. When you do difficult things from your soul, the joy risks souring. It can feel like staying upright in a kayak when you hit the rapids: captivating but exhausting to "follow your bliss".

KevinMcCabe wrote:
As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.
So insightful. I recently phrased a similar insight this way: by obedience, we learn who it is we are obeying.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.