• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Here is why atheism (and secular humanism) is impotent when it comes to replacing religion

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Here is why atheism (and secular humanism) is impotent when it comes to replacing religion

Unread post

Rather, one must believe that she is living in a way that is consistent with reality in order to motivate an unselfish approach to life.

It is also unclear how atheism is positioned to replace religion, in the following way. Atheism is the belief that no God or gods exist. But this, in and of itself, cannot form the foundation for a way of life. Only by forming and practicing positive beliefs and values can one build a coherent and meaningful life.
Yes... glad we're all in agreement now

LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Here is why atheism (and secular humanism) is impotent when it comes to replacing religion

Unread post

It is true that much of the developed world lives in not only a post-Christian, but a post-religious society.
That negates most of his message.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

It's interesting to compare the title of this thread to the title of the actual article, which is Can Atheism Replace Religion? It seems to me that whenever you see a title in the form of a question, the answer is usually not easily answered. But as to the question—can atheism replace religion?—I would say, why would you think it can? The starting premise is overly simplistic.

from the article . . .
But here we run into another problem, namely, that human beings long for transcendence of some sort, as shown by the presence and prevalence of religious belief throughout cultures across time. This does not guarantee the truth that there is some transcendent realm, but it highlights a problem for supplanting religion or spirituality with "better science...government safety nets...psychotropic medicines and electronic entertainment."
So, of course atheism can't replace anything because it's not a system of belief but, rather, the absence of belief. And secular humanism isn't going to cut it for many people, but then, neither does religion cut it for many people. There is no one worldview that works for everyone.

But then we have a stickler of a problem, which is how viable is a belief system that is at odds with reality? If your belief system is obviously wrong (as is, say, Young Earth Creationism), it should be winnowed out in the face of truth. But increasingly we see a sheer belligerence in the face of reality that has frightening implications for the human race. As such, I completely agree with the conclusion of the article:
We must remember that religion is not merely about making my life better. Religion at its best is about making me better, and a better contributor to the common good. One need not be a religious person, of course, to become a better person and make such a contribution. Whether or not we are religious, we should be committed to growing in character and doing what we can for others. But we must ground such commitments in positive beliefs about the nature of reality in order to sustain them over the long haul.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
It is true that much of the developed world lives in not only a post-Christian, but a post-religious society.
That negates most of his message.
When the definition of religion is narrowed, yes.

But going back to atheism, it simply means disbelief in a deity or deities, huh?
Like Geo's atheism which can only be defined as the one true kind of atheism, huh?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
Rather, one must believe that she is living in a way that is consistent with reality in order to motivate an unselfish approach to life.

It is also unclear how atheism is positioned to replace religion, in the following way. Atheism is the belief that no God or gods exist. But this, in and of itself, cannot form the foundation for a way of life. Only by forming and practicing positive beliefs and values can one build a coherent and meaningful life.
Yes... glad we're all in agreement now

Did you read the entire article?
Hows that basket of cherries? Is it full yet?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Atheism believes that God does not exist and attempts to logically defend that belief.

But its not a system of belief.

Anyone else buying into this crap?
Next?

My belief that God does not exist is absent from any system of belief.

I am an absent believer who doesnt realy believe

Wonderful
Last edited by ant on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The article defines atheism the same way the dictionary does.

You are holding out for your own definition. Good luck with that.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The fact that most all of you are willing 100% of the time to jump to the defense of disbelief is telling us all something is rotten in Denmark.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:The fact that most all of you are willing 100% of the time to jump to the defense of disbelief is telling us all something is rotten in Denmark.
Ran out of things to argue about?

Maybe you could talk about daddy issues again.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”