• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Help please.

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Nullarbor
Getting Comfortable

Help please.

Unread post

Greetings –
a few weeks ago I published an ebook ‘Flowers for Breakfast’. It is a picture book of flower photography in PDF and Kindle formats. Sales have been abysmal. I would like to find out the reason and would be grateful for your help.
Questions:
1) Is the subject of no interest?
2) Is my Video Preview useless or even off-putting?
That preview is at www.ozgreetings2.com
Thanks for replies – please be ruthless.
Klaus
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Help please.

Unread post

Your work is absolutely gorgeous! My first reaction is that this book should be in a paper book format and available for sale in stores like Barnes and Noble, libraries, etc. But, then, I'm an old woman and am not so used to eBooks.
I would like to refer you to a well known photographer in our area in Erie, PA, by the name of Art Becker. I'm pretty sure you may also find his name by Google.
Anyway, his email is [email protected]
He probably could give you some expert advice...
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Hi Nullarbor. I agree with Crystalline. Your photographs are fantastic, but I fear you have chosen the wrong format for your book. I have a Kindle, an older modle which does not show color. If I downloaded your book, I would not appreciate the colors. My recommendation to is try to find a publisher who would put your book in paper format. It would make a great gift.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Nullarbor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My thanks to both of you for your very kind replies.
Re formats: kindle is rather small to do pictures justice. But at least the Kindle Fire shows colour. But my book is also available
as a PDF which can be shown even on big monitors. And on those photos look better than on print.
I am puzzled.
My site gets about 80 visitors per day, and most are flower lovers. Many will watch that video preview - yet nobody buys that very cheap ebook. I have the suspicion that the music I chose makes people nod off.
Thanks again to you kind people - Klaus
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I'd like to commission a photograph. Take a photo of a cally lily - your photo of Arum Lily or Arum Lily2 for example - and present it against a sky similar to what you have for bird of paradise or red hibiscus. If you can do that, please PM me with purchase details... Yes, my wife collects calla lilies. :?

By the way, I bought your book*, but you didn't provide a direct link to your .pdf :
http://www.lulu.com/shop/klaus-jaritz/f ... 00220.html

*I hope, the "processing" message has been spinning for over 10 minutes... :x
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I have listened to several marketing advice webinars and they make a big point of the fact that your real work begins after you publish your book. Marketing and sales is a difficult, and often, more costly job than the actual publishing. I'm wishing you the best of luck. Don't give up. It took me three trips to our local Barnes and Noble store to finally get a book signing event last year. Persistence, persistence, persistence...
Listen to some of Brian Judd's marketing webinars.
Nullarbor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks Landroid -
re: Calla Lily - shall try. How can I contact you once done?
re Lulu: the BuyNow button is a direct link to Lulu. Am very happy I made a sale.

A Thankyou again to Crystalline. I believe you are right about the crucial importance of after-publishing PR.
I hate it. It's depressing
But shall try it.

Greetings to both of you - Klaus
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Klaus, check your private messages...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Sam Stilton
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi Nullarnbor, I thought your front cover was lovely beautiful background. Sam
Nullarbor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Very kind, Sam, thankyou!
(And I had thought that cover might be another reason nobody buys my stuff).
Much appreciated.
Klaus

Return to “Author's Lounge”