Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Help make Christmas extra special for the children at the Cleveland Christian Home! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Help make Christmas extra special for the children at the Cleveland Christian Home!
In 2010 and 2011 BookTalk.org members helped make Christmas a little brighter for the abused and neglected children living at the Cleveland Christian Home by donating a total of $558.09 towards the purchase of Christmas gifts. I'm hoping we can all work together again this year and raise some money for the kids.

Christmas is the saddest and most depressing time of the year for children who have been abandoned by their own families. It is a time when these young people are forced to face the reality that they aren't loved or wanted by the very people that should care about them more than life itself. For you and me the Christmas season may be a time for loving, giving and being with family and friends, but for children without families it is a time for tears, hopelessness and depression.

I know how these kids feel because I was one of them. Back in 1978 and 1979, when I was 10 and 11 years old, I lived at the Cleveland Christian Home. I spent several years in foster homes prior to and directly after my time living at the Cleveland Christian Home.

To this day I struggle with even talking about it as it was the most painful time of my life. For many years I kept the pain bottled up. I didn't speak about either the foster homes or Cleveland Christian Home to anyone other than a very small handful of close family members and friends. Talking about it flashes me back to being that little boy and I am forced to relive it.

For many years I secretly sent Christmas gifts to the Cleveland Christian Home. I didn't want my father to know how I was still so affected by his horrific decision to sign over custody of me and my older brother and place us in foster homes. I kept the gifts quiet from everyone but I knew what they meant to the children.

But now my father is gone. He died in 2007 of lung cancer. Now I can talk without causing him pain. Now I can give openly and possibly motivate a few other people (hopefully you) to reach out and help those kids.

I'm sharing a bit of my story here because I know how you feel. Every Christmas people are trying to pry money from your wallets and purses. Just walking in the grocery store or mall is stressful because we have to walk by those people shaking the little bells asking us for money. If we don't give we feel guilty. At least I do. And then that guilt makes me feel somewhat resentful that I have been put in the position to have to basically say "No" either verbally or through my lack of donating every time I walk by.

Like you I'm always skeptical about where my money goes when I donate it. Are people using my hard-earned money properly? Or is this a scam and my money is going directly into someones pocket that doesn't deserve it? How do you really know where your money goes when you donate it?

When you donate, through BookTalk.org, to the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home everything is out in the open. The amount you donate and your name are added to our DONATIONS page and to the sidebar Christmas block...unless you specifically request to be anonymous. And then the exact gifts, prices and the actual invoice are attached so everyone can see. I'll personally be donating too, but I'm having a difficult year so it will be limited.

If you want you can call the Cleveland Christian Home and verify everything I've said. The number is 216-476-0333. 100% of your donated money goes towards Christmas gifts. Volunteers at the CCH wrap them and see that they are given to all the kids on Christmas morning.

I remember how wonderful it felt to receive a pile of presents on Christmas morning from people I didn't even know. Total strangers reached out and touched my life and helped give me hope at a time when I was teetering on just giving up completely. I remember the football someone gave me. Heck, I didn't even like football but I kept that football most of my life because it had such meaning. I received a few really cool puzzles that I put together and took apart over and over again.

If you're in a position to donate $5, $10 or even $50 please click on the PayPal button in the right sidebar on the Home page and Forums page. Once we get to about December 10th I will order presents from Amazon.com off of the Christmas Wishes 2015 list and have them shipped directly to the Cleveland Christian Home. .

Please consider donating a few dollars so that we can give the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home a better Christmas.

Attachments:
282886_418117388258538_2042761276_n.jpg
282886_418117388258538_2042761276_n.jpg [ 220.13 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
267758_393405000729777_1212198681_n.jpg
267758_393405000729777_1212198681_n.jpg [ 97.12 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
14610_410188759051401_1874006591_n.jpg
14610_410188759051401_1874006591_n.jpg [ 82.8 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
60822_410188845718059_1273019610_n.jpg
60822_410188845718059_1273019610_n.jpg [ 164.54 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
2146_393406937396250_1138841157_n.jpg
2146_393406937396250_1138841157_n.jpg [ 208.82 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
199974_384915718245372_6966198_n.jpg
199974_384915718245372_6966198_n.jpg [ 139.4 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
16115_lg_thumb.jpg
16115_lg_thumb.jpg [ 22.19 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
imagfdfdes.jpg
imagfdfdes.jpg [ 7.47 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
cleveland-christian-home.jpg
cleveland-christian-home.jpg [ 516.53 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Dexter
Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Help make Christmas extra special for the children at the Cleveland Christian Home!
Thank you so much, Dexter! I got the donation.

:clap: :appl: :bananadance: :yourock: :RockOn: :thankyou: :beer2: :happy2: :troll:

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:18 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Help make Christmas extra special for the children at the Cleveland Christian Home!
Thank you, DWill! :clap: :appl: :bananadance:

I really appreciate you donating year after year. And I know the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home do too!

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I received the donation, Geo! Thanks so much. :clap2:

I really appreciate this. And the kids will too! You've helped each and every year we've done this. :thanks2:

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:11 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks, Robert Tulip!!!

:thanks2: :appl: :clap2: :bananadance: :adore:

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:04 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Thanks, Robert Tulip!!!

:thanks2: :appl: :clap2: :bananadance: :adore:

You are welcome Chris. It is the least I can do after again reading your story of your childhood adversity and what small gifts can mean to people who have nothing and no one who cares for them.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:36 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I've got the forum set to not accept PDF attachments so I'll copy and paste the list of gifts suggested/requested. I'll be shopping for gifts off of this list during the first week in December.

Quote:
Christmas Wishes 2015

Help us make the holidays sparkle for the children, teens, young adults and families served by Cleveland Christian Home!

Art/Drawing Sets
Barbie Dolls
Basketballs
Batteries
Battleship
Best Buy Gift Cards
Twin Size Blankets
Books (for boys 12-17)
CD Players/Radios
Clue Board Game
Comforters (Twin)
Connect 4
DVD’S (PG, PG13)
Giant Eagle Gift Cards
Harry Potter Books Hats/Gloves
Headphones
Jenga
Journals
Lego Blocks
McDonalds Gift Cards
Men’s Boxers (M-XL)
Men’s Sweatpants (M-XL)
Men’s Sweatshirts (M-XL)
Men’s Socks
Monopoly
Mp3 Players (*Please no video feature)
Nerf Footballs
Nerf Basketball Hoop
Personal Care Items
Puzzles (100-500 pieces)
Remote Control Cars
RipStick Skateboard
School Supplies
School Uniforms (M-XL)
Sheet Sets (Twin)
Skip-Bo
Sorry
Tablets
Target Gift Cards
Uno
Walmart Gift Cards

Please remember:
• All gifts must be new and unwrapped
• If possible, please include the price tag, copy of receipt or a listing of items with values (For accounting purposes)
• Deliver gifts no later than December 15th to 11401 Lorain Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44111.
• Call 216-476-0333 before you deliver donations.
Other ways to make wishes come true:
• “Sponsor a Child” for Christmas: Purchase all the gifts on a child’s list (average cost being $200)
• Make an online donation at www.cchome.org to our Wishes Fund* and let us do the shopping
* The Wishes Fund will be used to purchase Christmas gifts for children entering our programs just before
Christmas, for wishes that are not met by in-kind donations and for difficult to find wishes. Additional
contributions to the Wishes Fund will be used for birthday gifts and ongoing client wishes such as a new
pair of shoes, a bicycle, a game or toy, etc.

geo
Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:26 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Chris, I feel honored to help with this good cause! Keep up the good work.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:51 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thank you, Interbane! The kids at the Cleveland Christian Home will really appreciate your generous gift!

:appl: :clap: :bananadance: :clap: :appl: :bananadance:

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I just received a $50 donation from an anonymous donor. Your generosity and kindness towards the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home will really make a difference. I appreciate it and please know the kids will too. Thank you very much!

:happy2: :thankyou: :happy2:

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Last call on donations for Christmas gifts for the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home. I'd like to order them soon so the volunteers that wrap them have enough time to get it done for Christmas morning. :17758:

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:56 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Bump!

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:55 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thank you to our anonymous donor! :appl:

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thank you youkrst! Your donation is greatly appreciated! :-)

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:23 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

The Christmas presents have been ordered!

Thank you very much youkrst, Interbane, Robert Tulip, Geo, DWill, Dexter and the two anonymous donors. You guys just gave to some kids who will never forget your kind gesture. I promise you this. I'm 47 years old and still remember vividly how touched I was to receive Christmas presents from total strangers.

I'm attaching the invoice so you can see what I ordered. All items were from the "Wish List" the Cleveland Christian Home provided me. When I lived at the CCH there were 4 wings of 10 kids or 40 total. 1 wing was girls and the other 3 were the boys: Juniors, Intermediates and Seniors. I started in the Intermediates and moved up to the Seniors after about a year. I share this so you understand why I selected 2 of each gift. There are a lot of kids in that building and there is no reason to not give multiples of each gift.

Again, thanks guys. It means a lot to me that you cared enough to dig into your own limited resources for kids you have never met and probably never will.

Attachments:
2015-Xmas-CCH_0002.jpg
2015-Xmas-CCH_0002.jpg [ 670.84 KiB | Viewed 3420 times ]
2015-Xmas-CCH_0001.jpg
2015-Xmas-CCH_0001.jpg [ 813.04 KiB | Viewed 3420 times ]

Robert Tulip
Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:51 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next